31 70.45%
  • I would have stayed but filed a complaint

1 2.27%
  • Unsure

6 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions needed...

Opinions needed...

I was scheduled to work 11-7 today. Little did I know they changed the schedule without telling me. I get there and they tell me I'm on from 1-7 and to come back. I told them that it isn't fair they change the schedule with no notification. I told them if I leave, I won't be back at 1:00, that it was their error.

The other day I was "threatened" that if I left (my daughter had a crisis) not to count on any hours next week.

The manager shrugs his shoulders and says "the hours have been cut back".

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Well...depending on your seniority, if the hours have been cut back and you don't go in, you could be the first to be let go (IF that happens).

Is this a temporary January-slow-retail move or long-term?

Someone made a mistake and didn't call you. I guess - ask if this will matter in 50 years? You may well be right - but that won't pay the bills!

Forgive the boo boo, and go in. JMO

(And start checking the help wanted ads if the short hours are going to be a permanent arrangement).
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It's a retail job. If they fire you, they hire the next applicant they have from the top of the pile and move on. Your leverage with the store is basically nil.

I'd politely speak with your manager and ask to be notified in advance if there are any changes to the schedule.

I'd also keep looking in the paper to find a job with a little more security.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I am a wimp. I would have went home and came back at 1. But I would ALSO file a complaint or at least find out why there was a schedule change WITHOUT notice.

Seeing that it's retail, I probably would let it go since there's always people standing in line to be hired. Fair....NO...but at least you have the job and like ohers have said I would be looking for something else if possible. Of course maybe the senority is something to think about.

I worked at K-Mart for several years as a second job when I was working at school. I was told that the scheduls are subject to change without notice and that I would have to check it EVERY day... even on days off..

I laughed at them and told them clearly that this was my SECOND job and once I wrote my schedule down, my week was planned around that schedule. There wasn't room or time for changes in my schedule that was done on a weekly basis.... IF they needed me to come in and I had no plans scheduled for that day, I would come... if they needed someone else to have a day of mine, that was fine, just notify me not to come in because if I showed up, I would fully expect to get those hours. Odd, but they followed that strongly stated request of mine and they did call often to see if I could come in for extra hours.... I always went when they called.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I think if you ask about why you weren't told, that is a good idea.

If someone made a human mistake and plain forgot to call (because they were changing an entire schedule and their brain shut down), I'd forget it. I would still be MAD - but would forget it and go in.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm like Jen, I am a wimp too. I would have come back at 1, and whatever the rest of what she said.

I guess, I would be scanning the paper for a better job, that had better working hours.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Wimp number three here, i too would have gone home annoyed, but would have come back.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I am not a wimp. I still would have gone home and come back for 1 o'clock, but I would have left a note asking to be notified if there was a schedule change in the future. Retail is customer-focused, and penny-focused, not employee happiness focused.

I would ask myself how much I really needed that job & go from there.
    Unfortunately there seems to be more people looking for temp work than
    there are places to work. Management can pick & choose a lot.

I would definately ask to be notified of schedule changes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

If you want to keep your job going, ( not a temp) then I would of come back but insisted on talking to the person who deals with the rota and would have told him that in future I wouldnt be making this allowance, A simple phone call doesnt cost the earth and its polite.

They are just trying to show some muscle -- to scare you into submission so to speak. Look at it this way: you need the job, they don't need you. As much as we hate to do it, we need to jump through the little hoops they put in place for us.

It depends on how much you need/want the job.

If jobs are plentiful where you live, and it is easy to get another one, then there is no harm in standing your ground. If you lose your job or hours, and can/want to find another one, no big deal.

If, however, it is hard to find a job or you really like this job, in general, then you probably need to just bite your tongue and do what they say. That's the reality of the working world.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I have to agree. It depends how badly you want the job. When I worked a 2nd job at a department store, they always scheduled me to work 2nd late shift on every weekend. Plus I worked 2 nights a week, but they always called and asked me to work in a department I was unfamilar with (like lamps). I was always dependable. I finally stood my ground (although in the schedule book, I asked for morning weekends once in a while). I was told the regular staff deserved the morning shift. Like, no. Why not alternate? Anyway. They needed me more than I needed them. I was hired as contingent-12 hrs a week- and wound up working up to 25 or more plus my regular full time job. The politics were awful and the management stunk. After a few incidences, besides the time factor, I just quit one night. HR called me and begged me to stay as my sales were high and I was dependable. They promised I could have any hours I wanted. Nope. Sure, it was good extra money and the discounts were great, but I was burned out.

Anyway, Donna, if you like the job, and don't want to make too many waves (it is retail afterall), go against your nature and go with the flow. If I liked/needed the job so badly, I would have maybe gone out shopping or had a nice meal somewhere, rather than go home, and bit the bullet (madder than he$$ though).

I've been Boooo'd!