Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice...long post

Need some advice...long post

As you all know I lost my precious Dominique just a few days ago. I miss her terribly and am crushed by her loss and the way she died. I cannot stop crying.

This afternoon, I had to attend a function at our local shelter. I didn't really want to go, but my hubby works there and it was kinda required. It was a recognition thing for volunteers. I spent most of my time ignoring the official proceedings and hanging out in one of the cat rooms.

Our shelter is a sea of black and white adult cats. They are the hardest to adopt out around here. The color pattern is very common and everyone wants a different color or a kitten. I spent most of the afternoon holding black and white cats, crying into their fur.

My husband said that when I am ready we can bring home another cat. I have already decided that it will come from the shelter and be black and white. I can't replace Dommers. I could adopt every cat on the planet and never replace her. But there is a very empty spot in the house. This is an 8 cat family. 7 just feels wrong. I expected that Dominique would be here for another 10 years at least. No cat will fill the hole in my heart, but I know I could love another and they will find their own place in my heart, for their own reasons.

There was one cat who kept following me around. Everywhere I went, there was Boots. When I held a different cat, he sat by my feet and stared at me. When I went outside, he came into the outdoor cat run and meowed at the fence until I came and sat beside it. He's very affectionate and friendly. He's about three years old, was found as a stray. He likes other cats and has been neutered.

This is his picture, stolen off the Humane Society website.
    I have been thinking about him all day. He's been at the shelter for a few months. It's no kill so he's not in any immediate danger, but there has been no interest in him.

I can not go through this again. We do not know and will likely never know how Dominique got out. However, we are making some changes to try and ensure this never happens again. I thought we had covered all the bases before, but we are going to reinforce some things. We are adding more fencing around the cat run--the dogs can't get near it now anyway, but we are going to add a second fence. (this will be done tomorrow) We are going to add an arctic entry to the front door of the house. That way if a cat got out one door, they would only get into a small porch and be stopped by the second door. We already have one on the other entrance. All the screens have been reinforced and secured again (there were no open windows that night, but I'm paranoid now). Essentially, we are going to make a dog free zone immediately surrounding the house. So if a cat ever does escape again, they have a safety zone.

So after all that rambling, do you think I should bring Boots home?
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

YES!!!

It sounds like Boots made a connection with you and I think you should go with your heart. What could possibly be a better tribute to Dominique than to save a homeless kitty's life.

(((HUGS)))
    Last edited by jazzcat; 05-29-2005 at 07:20 PM.

From Decker with Love

Glacier,
    Things happen. There isn't any reason, rhyme, nothing you could do(more than you already do). More importantly. What has happened can't be undone. While I know you need to grieve, don't let it become such a familar place you don't want to leave there.

If there is a place in your heart for Boots, then, bring him home. Who could ever resist a tuxie, anyhow?

do you think I should bring Boots home?
    YES

I agree with the others, Boots needs to be a part of your family. He is choicing you to take care of him.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Boots is telling you that he wants to be with you. Let him come home and help heal you. There will always be an empty spot from Dominique but Boots will help you with your pain. I'm sure he'll bring you lots of joy. He must know something since he was being your velcro kitty.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Sounds like you've been chosen. Listen to what your heart is telling you, its never wrong.

Glacier, I know this might sound crazy, but I believe that Dominique was guiding Boots to you. He knows that he can never, ever be replaced and how much you love and miss him. But he also knows that you need Boots and Boots needs you.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Originally posted by rg_girlca
    Glacier, I know this might sound crazy, but I believe that Dominique was guiding Boots to you. He knows that he can never, ever be replaced and how much you love and miss him. But he also knows that you need Boots and Boots needs you.
    I was thinking the same thing and could not have said it better!

I agree with Lorraine. There is a reason Boots followed you around like that. I think Dominique was telling him you needed him. You are in no way to blame for Dominique's death. I say bring Boots home. He needs you and it sounds like you need him right now. Like you say, he will not replace Dominique, he will just help you to heal.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Yes GO GET BOOTS do it NOW

Boots was telling you today he needs you and wants you to be his furrever meowmie. I say go get Boots and put the kitty number back to right in your house.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I think he's beautiful, and, it doesn't sound like you have much of a choice. Sounds like YOU'VE been chosen.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    YES, go get Boots
    What a wonderful tribute to Dominique to give another baby a chance for a happy life. I love Boot's white whiskers and chin!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I think you already know everyone's answer and know in your heart that you want to. You'll be giving this boy one of the greatest homes he could get and at the same time filling a part of the void in your heart.

Go for it if you're ready.

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    YES
    I guess I should elaborate a little

First of all, that cat is the spitting image of Biddy White Whiskers and if you don't take him I am going to come get im mysefl!

Second, cats will ALWAYS pick their families. You have been chosen and you cannot fight that.

Third, even though I know you are devestated about Dominique (I know that I would be kicking myself for YEARS!) you cannot live you life in fear. Bad things happen sometimes, just think about Cataholic's niece Samantha. You cannot control everything in this world, but you have love to freely give and it should not be kept inside.