Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: think it could never happen to your dogs ?, think again.....

think it could never happen to your dogs ?, think again.....

Two days ago Nina had a strange object, thingie, in her mouth. We took it away, saved it though. Didn't think much of it. In the woods, on her walks she finds little toys and stuff. Today Lucee brought one in the house. OH MY GOD, it dawned on me that the neighbor was putting out Rat poison. I ran over there and looked and they were, all over his carport.

We called the vet, she said bring them in, in a hurry.

We have never seen any rat poison like this in our life. The squirrels are carrying it all over the neighborhood. The squirrels will die from this too, as well as cats and birds.

They were all treated with charcoal and now are on vitamin K1 for 4 weeks. They did blood ACT clotting time on Lucee and Nina (they had the poison in their mouth) and have to get another kit to do Ashlee on Monday. They only had 2 kits. I don't know what Lucee's time was, but Nina's was 1 minute 30 sec. And it shouldn't really be over 60 sec. The longer the clotting time the more apt they are to be bleeding inside. Walks only on leash, no rough play. They can't get brusied. So we have to keep an eye on them very closely. They worry if it doesn't clot till 3 minutes, then your in big trouble in a hurry.

We 'may' have caught this early enough to treat. We can only hope.

But the reason I am making this post is for people to be aware of what your neighbors do. We have a fenced yard and never let our dogs out unattened. We even go out with them when the go potty. We feel we are VERY good dog parents, and then this happens to our babies. We are sick. I am so worried.

Here is a picture of the rat stuff. They are big, like 2 inches long and an inch wide, green. We had no idea what it was till the 2nd one was found by Lucee, and I went to the next door neighbors yard.

Please keep our 3 babies in your thoughts.

ThanksYou, Tom and Katz

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

That's scary!!!
    I hope they will be fine.
    You and your girls will be in my thought.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

OH my I hope they will be alright..why does your neighbor have that out..scarey

OMG, that is horrible.

One of my pups was poisoned and it was a terrible experience. I will keep your dogs in my thoughts. You should speak to your neighbors ASAP and let them know rat poison can affect all animals, and look for an other solution.

My thoughts and prayers will be with your babies.

Thank you both,

The neighbor just wasnt thinking of animals when he put the stuff out. We live near a river and we get big river rats up here. The lady across the st. feeds bread, seeds, ect... to the squirlls and that draws more rats.

We talked to her about it a couple of years ago, but it didn't do any good. The stray cats go to her yard looking for birds ect. to catch and she wants a trap for the cats.

I'll keep you all posted,
    Thanks again Tom and Katz

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

This is probably the most horrific thing I have read on this board, probably because, as you say, it can happen to anyone! Thank you so much for the warning and the picture. I hope to never see one of those poison blocks. Your dogs are in my prayers. I just can't imagine what you must be going through. (((hugs)))

Thank goodness you spotted it tho ........

{{hugs}} and fingers crossed for you .....
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Thanks everyone.

Please send that little picture to all your pet friends. They may not have ever seen these either. The only rat stuff I have ever seen is the little blue crystals in the brown box.

These are called "TOMCAT all weather bait and chunx" They are peanut flavored. The maker is Motomco. www.motoco.com

OMG! Your precious babies will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on them. (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

This is so terrible.Thank goodness you caught it in time.My prayers are with your family and your dogs.I really hope they'll be alright.Thanks for posting the info and the pics.I hope they get well soon.

This is just terrible. I will keep your pups in my prayers, hopefully you caught it in time.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Lucee just threw up her charcoal. I called the vet's but of course at 6:21pm on a Sunday night no one is there. I'll wait 15 more minutes for some one to return my call and then I have to call emergency and see what they say to do.
    Now I'm really scared, Katz

I'm so sorry to hear about this I'll be keeping your babies in my thoughts for a speedy recovery!!

My friend's dog was killed from rat poison about 6 years ago. We went out to her friends' ranch and came home to Ginny bleeding in the kitchen. She was moitionless, but still alive. We rushed her to the emergency vet, where she died over night. They determined it was rat poison, which my friend's mom had put out in the backyard that very day.

I have never seen rat poison, I would have never known.
    Lucee and Nina are in my thoughts.

----<---<--<{(@