Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you on antidepressants

For those of you on antidepressants

Ok, I have been on Effexor for a little while, and was going to slowly go off of it. Our insurance changed, so I had to switch medications to Lexapro. For the past 2 days I have been going through withdrawal - sick to my stomach, my head feels foggy, I'm shaking, and incredibly thirsty. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

What was the "strength" of your Effexor? It is well-known that it gives lots of side-effects when you try to stop taking it... . There is a forum here in Dutch about it! I will try to find it back for you and see if I can translate something!
    I took Effexor too, but it was law dosage (Effexor 75).

Good luck!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Thank you so much for your help! I have heard of the side effects of going off, but my doctor said that Lexapro is pretty equal. I just talked to her and she told me that I should "only" feel this way for 2 weeks. Only?!? Yikes. I was on 150 mg, but about to go down to 75. I hate insurance companies!

Effexor has nasty withdrawl symptoms--I experienced the same thing once when I couldn't afford to refil the prescription and wasn't able to taper off slowly. It's very common to suffer the symptoms you describe if you stop taking it too abruptly.

I found it! You can find a lot about this on Google, just type in the words "Stop with Effexor".

Here is what I found so far:

What happens when I stop using EFFEXOR XR?
    Symptoms are known to occur when people stop using EFFEXOR XR, especially when they suddenly stop therapy.

When people suddenly stop using EFFEXOR XR, they can get symptoms from stopping the medicine too fast. Some of these symptoms include:

Agitation
    Anxiety
    Confusion
    Diarrhea
    Dizziness or vertigo
    Dry mouth
    Fasciculation (muscle twitching)
    Headaches
    Hypomania
    Impaired coordination
    Insomnia (trouble sleeping)
    Loss of appetite
    Nausea
    Nervousness
    Nightmares
    Seizures
    Sensory disturbances (including electric shock sensations)
    Somnolence (sleepiness)
    Sweating
    Tinnitus
    Tiredness
    Tremor
    Unpleasant mood
    Vomiting

Do not stop taking EFFEXOR XR without talking with your doctor first. Your doctor may want to slowly decrease your dose of EFFEXOR XR to help avoid these kinds of symptoms.Stop as slowly as possible.
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

All I know is that it is a 'step down' drug. You aren't supposed to just plain quit.

Wonder how the doctor would feel experiencing those symptoms for two weeks.

This is another forum! G and check it out; I am sure you can find lots of info here. It might be a good idea to register and post your question there.

http://www.thedoctorslounge.net/foru...pic.php?t=1013

Good luck!!!!!

JenBKR,

I was on Effexor for over 5 years. It is very powerful. Maya & Inka's mom hit the nail on the head with the symptoms. You're supposed to wean yourself off that kind of drug not just stop cold turkey or you'll "crash".

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Wow thanks for all your help guys. I can't believe all those symptoms, but I do have quite a few of them (although I'm not experiencing the loss of appetite - that one might do me good )

OK, talked to my insurance company and they said that the pharmacy messed up and the insurance actually will cover my effexor - so I am getting a new prescription and can now go slowly off of it. Thank you guys so much for all of your help!

Ive heard that the taper off thing is true for almost all anti depressants. I was taking Celexa for about a year and then I had to stop (insurance just stopped covering it) and I was feeling rotten for a month. I tried taking the generic Prozac stuff, and the symptoms from taking it were worse than the withdrawl from the Celexa!

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!

My mom has taken alot of antidepressants. The one she didn't like is Prozac. She tried to get off of it but she had vertigo and was very sick. Finally she got off of it and found one she liked. I don't know much about the ones she took or didn't like but I knew she DIDN'T like Prozac because she almost had to go to the hospital.
    Sparrabeth- Never say we Die!

No matter what Ted and Terry wrote, Jack and Liz love each other.

I'm glad that got all straighten out with the insurance/pharmacy.

I'm on Celexa and notice a HUGE change after a hospital visit (lack of my normal medications). I don't like it at all. Weaning is much better for you.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I spent a short time about six months on Prozac and found it a complete wonder drug for me, I took myself off it, and had no withdrawal effects at all, the one thing I like about Prozac it only works on the part of the brain that needs it, but the one side effect that got me fed up was constant night sweats., so everyone is different, my experience with it was fantastic, I felt normal again, not hyped up, but how I should be feeling,and during that time I was able to get back on WWatchers and achieve weight loss, I would not hesitate to go back on it at any time in the future should I feel the need to.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

thats why when a walk in clinic dr. gave me a precription for thak kind of stuff I ripped it up & walked out.

I didn't even go in for depression, I went in for terrible pains in my chest & my heart feeling like it was gonna explode & feeling my heart rubbing against my ribs (it hurt & tickled at the same time).

some Dr.s r just stupid.