Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New cat potty problem

New cat potty problem

I just adopted Joey about 2 weeks ago. My other 2 cats (Beth & Lulu) seem to be doing alright with him. There is some fighting, but that is normal. Joey has used a litter box before I got him, but now he keeps leaving me "surprises" behind my couch. I have shown him where the litter box is, and he has used it - but still every morning there are the "surprises." I have moved my couch so that none of the cats can get behind it, but sure enough this morning he had gone potty right in front of the couch. I don't know what else to do. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks, Janine

HI and Welcome to Pet Talk
    How many boxes do you have? It could be that one of the other cats are in the box when he wants it and he just can't or won't wait. Also he could be one of those kitties like my Vixen. Vixen has potty box issues. We have 2 boxes but to Vixen one is for peepee and the other for poopie. If my other cat Lilith goes poopie in the peepee box Vixen won't use it and if Lilith goes peepee in the poopie box then Vixen won't use that one either.

But there could be other issues. Maybe the new kittie is getting picked on more than you realize or maybe he is not happy in the current situation. This could be a behavioral problem. I am not too sure but I am possible one of our more experienced PTers will give their solid advice. Look for posts from Queenscoopsalot, kimlovescats, jenluckenbach and there are others. Those 3 know a lot.

Good Luck Michelle

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I'd definitely recommend another litter box. He may not like sharing with the other kitties.

I have 2 littler boxes. Beth and Lulu use their box. It is really strange, for the past week Joey has been out and playing with me. He was sleeping on the couch with Lulu. He seemed to be doing well. Then all of a sudden yesterday morning he is hiding behind the entertainment center again, and not using his box. I was home from work half the day yesterday, and Beth and Lulu didn't bother him at all. But I couldn't get him to come out. He is such a sweet kitty, I just don't know what is wrong, or what to do.
    Last edited by may51380; 06-09-2005 at 03:55 PM.

It is recommended that you have one more litter box than cats. I would suggest getting another if not 2 more. Has Joey been dewormed yet? As for the strange behavior maybe Joey isn't feeling well and a trip to the vet is needed. better safe than sorry. If Joey is healthy then you have peace of mind knowing he is fine but if god forbid something is not quite right then you would have gotten him the help he needs to feel and get better. Keep us posted ok.

Michelle

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Joey just got a clean bill of health from the vet a week ago. If I sit next to the entertainment center he will let me pet him and play with him. He purrs and gives kisses, wants his belly pet. I will go get another litter box tonight. Hopefully that might help. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for all you help.

Janine

Originally posted by may51380
    I have 2 littler boxes. Beth and Lulu use their box. It is really strange, for the past week Joey has been out and playing with me. He was sleeping on the couch with Lulu. He seemed to be doing well. Then all of a sudden yesterday morning he is hiding behing the entertainment center again, and not using his box. I was home from work half the day yesterday, and Beth and Lulu didn't bother him at all. But I couldn't get him to come out. He is such a sweet kitty, I just don't know what is wrong, or what to do.
    Could it be that when your back is turned, Beth and Lulu are bullying the little newcomer? He might be frightened to establish himself in "their" boxes. I think he'll settle in soon, sometimes it just takes time while they all re-establish themselves, their relationships to one another and for Joey, learning to trust his new surroundings, "safe" zones etc that he can call his own. Good luck.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

Last night I bought another littler box and an oder/stain remover. I clean the spots that he has been going in. I realized last night that it is Joey who is starting the fights with Beth. He seemed alright, he was sitting with me on the couch, playing with Lulu, but when I got up in the middle on the night, I found that he had left me "gifts" on my couch. Beth and Lulu were kept in my room last night, so I don't know why he is doing this. I moved him, his food and litter boxes into my spare bedroom. I went in this morning and he had used the litter box. I don't want to keep him apart from us, I don't know what else to do.

Janine

Hi Janine
    I can sense the anguish in your "written voice"! Somewhere on this forum someone has posted about keeping a newcomer cat/kitten in the spare room on its own and introducing it gradually after a few days, to the other cats/rest of the house.It must seem overwhelming to Joey, like when we first visit/move to a new city,we stick close to home and gradually widen our circle as we become more confident and at ease with our surroundings (I do anyway) I think putting him in the spare bedroom is a good idea,make sure he gets to see you a lot and feeding/petting times are regular, make sure he can smell the other cats on you etc. but don't let the girls in there, just bring him out after a few days for a few minutes at a time. BTW, I find white vinegar is good for removing cat urine smells, a lot cheaper and no harmful chemicals. Worked fine on my carpet. - Best wishes, TopCat.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

New cat potty problem

Hi and welcome to Pet Talk! It could be that Joey hasn't really adjusted yet. I agree wth others that maybe the introduction should be done gradually so that all your fuzzy buddies have a chance to get used to each other. Good luck. The best advice you will ever get about your purrballs, aside from your vet, is here at Pet Talk! Look forward to hearing from you again very soon. Let us know how this works out?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I talked to the vet this morning, and he said the same thing you guys did. He told me to keep Joey in the other room, and only let him interact with Beth & Lulu when I am at home. When I went into the room this moring, Joey was playing with me, giving kisses, he did seem more at ease. He is such a sweet little boy, I just want him to be happy. We'll see how the next week goes. Thanks again for all you help. I will keep you posted.

Janine

Here is picture of Beth and Lulu napping together. I hope to have a picture of my new baby, Joey, soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Beth and Lulu!

Nice to meet you two pretty kitties. Looking forward to meeting your new little brother. Thanks to your Mummy for introducing you! Be nice to Joey, now!

Joey is doing much better. I still have him in his own room. Beth and Lulu have been allowed in the room a couple minutes at a time. Joey and Lulu were playing, although Lulu keeps trying to eat his food.HA. Beth is getting better, but I think it is going to take her a little longer than Lulu. There has been no more "gifts" left for me. Thanks again,

Janine
    Beth
    Lulu
    Joey

That's good news. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Hope they're all playing together soon in the same space!