View Poll Results: Where does your dog stay when you are gone?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Free in the house

18 40.00%
  • Free in a section/room of the house

7 15.56%
  • In a crate

7 15.56%
  • In a dog run

1 2.22%
  • In a playpen

0 0%
  • Free in the fenced yard

5 11.11%
  • Tied up in the yard

0 0%
  • Roaming loose

1 2.22%
  • Other

6 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does your dog stay when you are gone?

Where does your dog stay when you are gone?

Where does your dog stay when you are gone (work, school, shopping, etc.) ? I wish we were one of those lucky families who have somebody home all the time, but we're not, we all have to work.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with Nebo lately. I don't like leaving him in a crate for more than a couple of hours, he gets really restless in there. I was leaving him in a dog run (it has a cover, brick bottom, and it's always padlocked) but the ants are really bad this year and I can't stand the thought of him sitting in a pile of ants. I also worry about him being stung by a bee again. So recently I had been leaving him in one of those play pens (about 4 foot tall) in the basement. I left him with kongs, treat/food dispensing toys, etc. to keep him occupied. Well today he tipped the whole thing over and got out. I know once he's figured it out he'll keep getting out so I can't leave him in that again. I was rather shocked when I walked in the door and there was Nebo happily sleeping in the kitchen. I checked all over the house and didn't find anything ruined at all. Of course, I asked my parents but they refuse to let him just free in the house while we're gone, they don't believe me that he wouldn't rip the house down. Ugh so I guess it's back to getting rid of the ants...

When Reggie was younger he always stayed in a crate. When he got older my parents started just leaving him in an unfinished room with his crate/food/water in the room. We used to leave Reggie and Sydney in this unfinished room but now we're turning it into a bathroom. So they were staying in the playpen then I used it for Nebo so we had them up in the other bathroom. They were fine in the bathroom and the playpen.

Whenever I have my own place I'd like to leave Nebo just in the house or in a section of the house, I think he'd be fine.

The shelties just get locked in the basement. My room is down here as are most of their dog beds and a crate without a door on it. When I leave I put some treats in their treat balls, turn on my radio and babygate the stairs so they can't get upstairs. Works for us.

Oh btw, they are completely trustworthy in the house. The reason they are put in the basement is because they (mostly Emily) will bark at people on the street when we are gone.

*Thanks Ashley*

Simba and Nala both are free in the house.

We used to crate Nala when she was younger because she'd tear things up.

I was worried aobut leaving the both of them alone together, but they are wonderful with each other and the both of them sleep while we're gone. Although, my dad doesn't have a job (he's disabled) so he's there sometimes... but not all of the time.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Our pups are free to roam the house.

There are usually a few people home (mom and grandma) but occasionally, they're left on their own. My mom said they sleep the entire time we're gone though... so they're pretty trustworthy in the house.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

We started all of ours in crates and still use them occasionally, if we are gone more than normal...if we don't, that is when they tend to get upset and tear things apart. We first gave them just the kitchen where there isn't too much to get into.

Now, in generally, they are in a section of the house...we close off the bedrooms, bathroom and basement, and they have the living room, dining room and kitchen.

I voted "other" since they are either in the house roaming free or outside in the fenced yard (of course it's always their preference of where to stay ).

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

depends on the dog. perky is locked in the bathroom(she will not go in a crate despite our effert to crate train her) misty is locked in the big wire kennel, blair in mistys travel kennel. happy and Ripley get free roam, shadow used to get free home before the others decided they hated her, now she stays in my moms room just about all the time(her food arrives tues so she can go to her foster home then)
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Ours are free in the house all day. The first day I left Bella free (in late puppyhood) I was almost afraid to come home and see what she had done. Imagine my surprise to find she was good! Then when Ripley came along I also worried. I didn't know how he'd be with Bella alone all day. It turns out my worries were needless. Nowadays I imagine they just sleep a lot, although my next door neighbor says that every time she goes outside to get mail or run an errand, they are both at the window looking out. What busybodies!

Smokey stays anywhere in the house he wants. Somebody
    has to keep the kitties company. Really, the only time I've
    had to keep Smokey or Buddy "partioned off" was when they
    were being house trained. The potty & house training came
    when they were still pups. I've been really lucky to have such
    (mostly) cooperative doggies.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

They stay in the "doggie" part of the house ... the kitchen, laundry room, hallway and stairway. The bathroom, bedrooms, living room and office is off-limits.

If we're going to be gone in the evening for a few hours, Wishbone goes in his crate. He tends to pick fights by being grumpy, and then loses. And Queenie gets to sleep on her bed in my room, because she's old. And Twister just likes to sleep in her crate in the bedroom, she doesn't have to, but she asks to.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Anywhere they want, Mizzy doesnt do stairs (before Rio and Beth, Kelly and mizzy were NOT allowed upstairs) all thats changed for Rio and Beth, but mizzy cant get upstairs now.
    They not allowed in the bathroom because the door doesnt stay open = looked in small room till we get back.
    Not allowed in Utillity room as it leads outside, and kitty cat food is out there.
    But other than that there free, Also the only thing they eat is the bin so that just goes on the side.
    Ky
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

I also voted other, because it depends on the weather.

Clover and Elvis have either free run of the back yard (Fully fenced and a chain and lock on the gate) when the weather is fine, but if it is cold and raining they have the back room (It is a large sunroom) with food toys, kongs food balls Etc. Before Elvis (BE) Clover was trustworthy in the house with Penny and Theo, but Elvis is a bad influence on them and they destroy things now LOL.

Penny and Theo have free run of the house at all times, all except for a few bedrooms (Mine mainly), they have beds, food, water in most rooms. Spoilt little brats. LOL
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Re: Where does your dog stay when you are gone?

If I am going to be gone long and the weather is nice,
    I will leave the dogs in the back yard.
    If it's only going to be 5 hours or less and the dogs
    want to stay inside, then they
    can have the run of the house.

They are both very good in the house, (I remove the toys).
    I think they probably just sleep.

----<---<--<{(@

I work from home so I have the opportunity to be home with my pups a lot of the time. I can't watch them while I work though and I used to keep Tommy confined to the room I work in with me when he was younger, but now I just keep them upstairs with me (so that he doesn't get into the laundry downstairs). Even when the whole house is opened up they tend to just stay where ever I am, or sometimes he likes to lay in the kitchen.

When we are gone, I gate off the hallway and they have the hall, my office, and the room with their beds to lay in. I have to keep the bathroom closed off or Tommy will get into the bathroom trash. If it storms while I'm gone, Tasha will knock the gate over and run downstairs to curl up on the sofa down there, her "safe spot," but Tommy won't even step over the gate if it's laying across the floor.

I still worked out of the house when I got Tasha as a puppy, and did not want to crate her all day, so I bought an exercise pen for her then. I had a neighbor I knew and trusted who went in a few times a day while I was gone and took her out and played with her. I like it much better now though that I can be home with them. They were definitely a large factor when I was making the decision to go into medical transcription.

I hope you are able to find the best situatin for Nebo so that you have piece of mind while you are away.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge