Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruella D'ville Owns a Papillon, anyone else?

Cruella D'ville Owns a Papillon, anyone else?

I recently read an article in the Chicago Tribune about Glenn Close (i.e. Cruella of the 10X Dalmations movies) and her new papillon Petey Petit. The article demonstrated that, though Cruella may want to make a coat out of a dog, her real life persona loves them.

Am I the only papillon person in this discussion group? I was steered to Dog of the Day because of another pap someone told me about some time ago, but you don't really know if they read the discussions or not. Most of the papillon discussion people seem to be on the PAP-L e-mail discussion group that the PCA (Papillon Club of America) puts out. If there is anyone else out there reading these groups, let me know!

Sophie's Daddy,

I own Labs, but my small dog of choice would be a Papillon. Does that count?

Is it a Pappilion in the new movie? I thought it was a Mexican Hairless! Correct me please so I can straighten it out with my child and her cousins. We saw 102 Dalmations last night and loved it!

I haven't seen the movie yet but I want to. What Sophie's Daddy is referring to is that the actress, Glen Close, in her real (not reel) life just got a Papillion.

Yes, alas, while I would love to see more Papillons in the movies, they just aren't popular or odd looking enough to get chosen very often... There was one movie, however, where a woman answers a door surrounded by a crowd of Papillons. I saw the movie a long time ago and at the time I didn't know what a Papillon was. The movie came out sometime in the last 20 years, probably sometime in the last 10. It was one of those "When Harry Met Sally" types of films.

Anyone know what movie I'm talking about? It was really popular, but I can't remember what it was.

Dogncatluvr, every loving intention counts. If you should ever get another dog, get the Papillon. They are such a joy to have around!

Originally posted by Sophies Daddy:
    Yes, alas, while I would love to see more Papillons in the movies, they just aren't popular or odd looking enough to get chosen very often... There was one movie, however, where a woman answers a door surrounded by a crowd of Papillons. I saw the movie a long time ago and at the time I didn't know what a Papillon was. The movie came out sometime in the last 20 years, probably sometime in the last 10. It was one of those "When Harry Met Sally" types of films.

Anyone know what movie I'm talking about? It was really popular, but I can't remember what it was.

Dogncatluvr, every loving intention counts. If you should ever get another dog, get the Papillon. They are such a joy to have around!
    Well Sophies Daddy I have a friend you would LOVE just like you she Loves Papillons once she had 7 and now she has 6 because one died one of them is about to have puppies next week ,and all of her dogs are the sweetest things!!! And also I think they should have them in more movies because their ears are sooo cute

Very rarely have I heard of any Papillon that are not the sweetest things! They are such wonderful lively and lovely dogs it is amazing to me that they are not more popular. Their ears are beautiful and they have so much more to offer.

Sophie's Daddy,

My next dog will be an ex-racing greyhound, I'm already decided on that. But maybe when I'm old, and can't walk the big dogs anymore???

I recently saw that Papillions were one of the breeds that didn't shed very much. Sophie's Daddy, is this true?

I've seen many a Papillon go Best of Show at dog shows and think they're just too cute with their little shoe-button eyes and powderpuff coats. And attitudes -- they're pretty convinced they're the biggest dogs around. I'm just not into the coat care they require and prefer smooth-coated or easy grooming breeds like the JRT (wash 'n' wear dogs, I call 'em). Excellent luck with your doggies -- they really are too cute.

Rachel,

Papillons do not have an undercoat so they do not generally go through a massive seasonal shed like most non-terriers, but they do shed some fur year-round the same as any dog and a little bit more for two weeks in fall and spring. A quick brushing with a slicker brush every two or three days during peak periods in fall and spring(and I do mean quick: they only take about five minutes to brush) will keep the hair from flying too much. The rest of the year, a brushing once a week will remove most of the dead hair. Even so, the fur is very soft and flexible which keeps it from weaving into your clothing, furniture or carpet. A lint brush or vacuum cleaner makes short work of getting the remainder. They do not have a doggie odor, have very little dander, and produce less oils than most other dogs making them much more tolerable for most alergy sufferers.

Ktreva52,

When it comes to grooming, the Papillon is almost as wash and wear as the JRT! They keep themselves very clean and, because they do not have an undercoat and do shed slightly, they generally do not get matted like many "shed-free" terriers (the longer haired and curly haired varieties). Only their ear fringes, which are retained more than other hair on their bodies, require any special attention. Once a month, the fringes should get a thorough brushing. Sophie has only been to a groomer three times since I adopted her and all three times were for baths I was too lazy to give her. The rest of the time I have bathed her. Her fur has only been cut five times in two years in strategic places and these trimmings were to keep her from urinating on her leg fringes. I have done the trimming each time. There is very little coat care necessary for this breed and this is one more thing that makes the breed wonderful!

[This message has been edited by Sophies Daddy (edited November 26, 2000).]

By the way, any luck out there regarding the crowd of Papillons movie? I am still trying to figure out which one it was.

Hi Sophie's Dad..funny you should post this topic..I thought of you this weekend. A local crafts/toy store has stuffed dogs in the window, actual life size of almost every breed imaginable-it's amazing, and there was the Papillon, on a pillow, staring right at me! I said to myself,"Hi Sophie!"!!! Yes, I read about Glenn Close's Papillon too! And thought about you! What good taste she has!
    Kisses to the little honey.

Sophies Daddy,

I am not sure but I think the dog (Fluffy) is a Chinese Crested.

Oops,

The movie that I'm looking for is not 102 or 101 Dalmations (or damnations as the dalmation owners in our club lovingly call their dogs). I am looking for a movie from the late eighties, early nineties. This movie was in the same genera as "When Harry Met Sally" or "Sleepless in Seattle" and probably came out at about the same time.

In the movie I'm looking for, someone's mother answers the door surrounded by a crowd of Papillons. I can't remember the name of the movie and I hope that someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks.