Thread: Shakey Tail

Shakey Tail

I've been noticing that my Ziggy will do this shakey tail wiggle as if she's going to spray but luckily nothing comes out. She seems to do this while I'm petting her in the morning. I remember that Storm used to do this too. Has anyone's cat ever done this before? I tried looking it up and I got the term shakey tail from a vet that had responded to someone's question. I think the vet said that it happens when the cat gets excited. I just don't like it because I'm afraid that some day she will start spraying.

I tried looking up more info about it and it's also called quivver tail. This is what it says about it: When a cat is very excited and happy to greet its owner he will hold his tail straight in the air and it will quiver or twitch. This is the cat's way of saying he is so pleased to see you that he is overcome with emotion. If this is what Ziggy is doing then I'm thrilled because it took her over a year to really come out of her shell and now she'll come to me for pets, scritches, and will sometimes sit in between my legs and take a nap.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Kuhio did that all her 17 years. Usually near the food bowl.
    She would put her back to the refrigerator and do the shakey tail thing like she was trying to spray and mark her territory. But nothing ever came out.

I don't think I ever remembered to ask the vet about it. If I did, I don't remember him being concerned. I think it's just one of those adorable Kitty Kwerks.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

My Harley (female) & Bump (male) both do that too && nothing ever comes out.. Yes its ussally when I am rubbing their backs & they are happy..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Actually Riku does this too. Many times I have checked the area behind him to make sure there is no moisture.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32038&dateline=129651  4765
    My Family left to right Riku - Lynx Point Siamese mix, Riley - Domestic Short Hair Tabby, Phoebe - Domestic Medium Hair Tabby, Foxy - Australian Cattle Dog mix - March 2001 - September 15, 2012, Autumn - Labrador Retriever Mix
    Dear Husband and Myself - homo sapiens - James and Becky

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only experiencing this. This morning Ziggy did it again. She must love me very much.

Mine do that, too, but now that I think about it, it's only the males.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I remember Mouse used to do that - but it was because he was ticked off. When he would go to the door, wanting to go out, and the weather was bad (snow, rain), his tail would quiver. It was a constant thing throughout his life.

I'm going to try get a video of Eve doing this and post it! I have never seen a cat do it so vigorously before than with Eve. When she sees me in the kitchen she'll back up to the cupboard and shake away. She's never tried to spray before. Just another one of her many, many quirks.

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind and found my soul." -Unknown

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
    - George Eliot

Lucy does it

My black, female cat does it outside. I figured it was instinctual - and I never noticed anything coming out. I am glad mine isn't the only one acting this way.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    My RB Meezer Ming (male), did this, but he was the only cat I ever had that did it. Sometimes he was spraying - other times not. I'm certain his wasn't a case of being excited to see me, since every time I caught him in the act (or looking like he was going to spray), I would yell at him and he'd take off running like a bat out of h3ll! If that wasn't an indication of guilt on his part, then I don't know what was!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Yes, several of mine do this, male and female both.

Yes, I've seen a girl of mine do this before marking. Sigh. But they do it other times as well.

That is a happy tail indeed!!

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only experiencing this. This morning Ziggy did it again. She must love me very much.
    I am sure she does!

I think I've seen Cassie do it, but I'm not sure. When she is content, she walks with her tail up and sort of flipped over her back, like "Hello, nice to see you, all is well in my world."
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678