Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etiquette question?

Etiquette question?

How do you let your co-worker know that he smells horrible & that he needs deodorant so badly? LOL. It was noticeble, but never this bad before, now that my nose is super sensitive due to the pregnancy, it becomes a huge problem for me. I feel nauseous & my head aches everytime he's around!

Luckily for me he doesn't sit anywhere near my desk, but it doesn't take much, just us passing each other down the hallway is enough to make me want to throw up.

He's a super nice guy whose feelings I do NOT want to hurt. Our work occasionally requires him to report to my desk (which I dread)... but he doesn't have to do it. He can ask others to do it for him LOL. Is there a nice way to ask him to stay as far away from me as possible for the next 6 months?

So far, I've had a pretty good pregnancy with no sickness nor loss of appetite or sleep.. I'm perfectly fine except for the time I'm forced to be near this one particular co-worker!

Help?

Thanks ~Jessie~

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Maybe a not so subtle hint - like leave a package (anonymously) at his desk, that contains body wash and deodorant.

Myself and some co-workers did this once to an offending party in our office. It worked, and she never knew who left the goody bag!

Wow - my post # is my house #. I wonder if that has any significance??? It was at 2328.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 09-22-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Sounds like the only way to get the message across, not a bad idea, sometimes these people don't realize they sweat as much as they do and are offensive, could be an underlying condition but the body wash and deodorant should do it.

Post and house no. the same. Not only that but you also have 2 dogs pomtzu....maybe you'll find a toonie somewhere....

Oh my gosh I remember how certain smells bothered me when I was pregnant and that was 20some years ago!

I wonder if he has no smelling sense? My brother does not have any sense of smell at all. He asks me sometimes if he smells okay and he always does.

I really don't know what the best thing to do would be. I love those Axe products for men. Maybe you could take a collection for that stuff but it still may offend him. Does he have enough money to buy soap and deod?

Not to change the subject but when I was pregnant with my son I remember going to the grocery store and getting to the aisle next to where the laundry detergents are. I had to leave the store because the smell was so strong. Now that I think of it I don't even notice that aisle. Funny how pregnancy does that to you.

Good Luck!

The only thing I can suggest is to present it as a health issue to his supervisor (hopefully that's not you!).
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Yes, I was going to say talk to yours or his supervisor. Definitely.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Oh my gosh I remember how certain smells bothered me when I was pregnant and that was 20some years ago!
    That's what I thought, too. His odor is bad but it's bearable has my nose not suddenly become super sensitive - so I kinda blame my nose more than I do him.

This morning he came to my desk, and almost immediately I gagged for air. I swear if he stays for a couple more minutes I would pass out. He was so concern and kept asking if I needed him to bring me water or something prolonging his stay at my cube! All the while I was wishing for him to leave me as quickly as possible but I couldn't open my mouth to say so!

I guess I just didn't have it in me to tell him that HE's my problem! lol So I excused myself to the bathroom, cutting short his visit.

Others seem to notice, but do not seem to have as bad of a problem with him as I do. So maybe my best solution is to actively avoid him & excuse myself from him the second our business is done!

Thanks ~Jessie~

Or you could just pull him aside and confide in him that with the pregnancy your sense of smell has become super sensitive and certain smells including his deoderant really bother you. See where that gets you.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

This is what I would have suggested.. We did that to a couple of people here at my work in the past & it worked as well..
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Maybe a not so subtle hint - like leave a package (anonymously) at his desk, that contains body wash and deodorant.

Myself and some co-workers did this once to an offending party in our office. It worked, and she never knew who left the goody bag!

Wow - my post # is my house #. I wonder if that has any significance??? It was at 2328.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by M&M's Mommy View Post

Others seem to notice, but do not seem to have as bad of a problem with him as I do. So maybe my best solution is to actively avoid him & excuse myself from him the second our business is done!
    Maybe others just don't know how to approach the problem. You shouldn't have to put up with it if it's actually making you sick. Maybe you should take it to his supervisor or the H.R. manager and let them handle it.

And maybe he really doesn't know that he smells bad. My DIL has no sense of smell and I'm always her "smeller" for perfumes, room sprays, candles, etc.

I remember being sensitive to certain smells when I was pregnant. The smell of eggs cooking was enough to make me hurl - and my ex just had to cook eggs for breakfast every weekend!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    Or you could just pull him aside and confide in him that with the pregnancy your sense of smell has become super sensitive and certain smells including his deoderant really bother you. See where that gets you.
    I love the guy & have a great working relationship with him, but right now, even passing him in a hallway is something I'd avoid at all costs, lets alone spending time talking to him!. His is the only smell that horrifies me so far. Maybe I can talk to my supervisor & ask her to take my place when he has to come over (he'll have to call me to make sure I'm at my desk, so I'll always know when he's about to come over)

My supervisor is a very sweet, understanding & discreet person.. so I think she'll keep it a secret & won't cause him any troubles.

Thanks ~Jessie~

How can someone not know they smell is beyond me...I can't go to work without a shower...no way.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

It is easy not to know how you smell - the nose gets tired of the same smell after a while.

It might be kindest, if you can bring yourself to do it, to say something to him. Just say "Bob, this is awkward, but there's something about the way you smell that really is bothering now that I am pregnant. Maybe you could change your deodorant or something ... I don't want to embarrass you, but that's why I haven't been able to be near you much lately. Or, leave him an anonymous "gift" of grooming products as others suggested.
    I've Been Frosted

Well this is gross but I can tell if I smell...I got sick of myself when I was injured and didn't bathe everyday...I knew
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It is easy not to know how you smell - the nose gets tired of the same smell after a while.

It might be kindest, if you can bring yourself to do it, to say something to him. Just say "Bob, this is awkward, but there's something about the way you smell that really is bothering now that I am pregnant. Maybe you could change your deodorant or something ... I don't want to embarrass you, but that's why I haven't been able to be near you much lately. Or, leave him an anonymous "gift" of grooming products as others suggested.
    Someone on the other forum suggested Vicks vapor rub.. I'm going to try to get some tonight.. Hopefully it'll help.

At this point, I've yet had any problems smelling any foods, cleaning supplies, or other things pregnant women may have problems with. The only thing that I really cannot stand so far is my co-worker!

I may suddenly dislike the smell of Clorox, but it doesn't give me such a strong reaction like this guy's odor does. I get dizzy just as he approaches, nauseous when he's here, and begin to feel light-headed (like I'm about to loose consciousness) after only a few minutes being in close proximity to him. I know it sounds mean, but he has the most unpleasant smell I've ever experienced...

I did notice his strong body odor before, but could hold my breath & was fine. Now that I'm pregnant, it's 100 times worse! While it may be best to talk to him myself, I just can't imagine doing that right now.

Thanks ~Jessie~