Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know you're too emotional when....

You know you're too emotional when....

You sit in a doctor's office BAWLING over the fact that your new medicine interacts with grapefruit.

I'm switching meds again. This new med can not be taken with grapfruit. I eat a grapefruit every night. Its one of my nightly rituals where I relax and wind down. I had no idea how much I enjoyed this ritual until I heard I can't have it any more. So I sat and cried like a baby.

Then I went to work, laughing with my coworkers at my stupid over-reaction.... and proceeded to cry during my retelling of the tale.

Sooooooo.... what am I to replace my nightly retual with? Oranges? Grapes (hey, its half the name of the fruit I can't have!) Oh goodness... nothing will match grapefruit. Its a wonderfruit. Antioxidants, lowers blood sugar, raises metabolism, all sorts of good things in one wonderful fruit.

Try oranges! Or is all citrus forbidden?

Grapes pwn. They have natural sugar in them also, so they satisfy your sweet tooth (partially...). I eat grapes often, normally after I get home from school and my stomach feels like it wants to rumble its way out of my abdomen...

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Try oranges! Or is all citrus forbidden?
    Oranges ar e approved. I asked. It just isn't the same. I love the sour tartness of grapfruit. Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    Oranges ar e approved. I asked. It just isn't the same. I love the sour tartness of grapfruit. Sigh
    Hmmm, maybe it's time to experiment in the produce department. Pomegranate perhaps? It's labor-intensive and satisfying to pop out each individual jewel of the good stuff?

All citrus is pretty much off-limit for me, as I have become allergic to everything but lime. And I limit how much lime I ingest, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hmmm, maybe it's time to experiment in the produce department. Pomegranate perhaps? It's labor-intensive and satisfying to pop out each individual jewel of the good stuff?

All citrus is pretty much off-limit for me, as I have become allergic to everything but lime. And I limit how much lime I ingest, just in case.
    Hmmm, maybe I'll like the pomegrante because thats what I enjoy about the grapefruit because its so labor intensive. I peel the grapefruit like an orange then peel it out of hte indiviual skins like you get thsoe little tangerine slices from a can. I peel for about 20 mintues then make a big pile of grapefruit. I eat it only after its all been peeled.

I can't have them either, it's from my cholesterol medicine. I love grapefruits too, and miss them!

Get some clementines, they're good right now!

I was going to suggest pomegranates too. They are very good for you. And I believe they can be tart? It's been a very long time since I've had one though.

*Thanks Ashley*

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    I feel your pain. Not that I eat grapefruits often (I just forget to buy them actually), but to be strictly forbidden to eat a favorite food, to me, is beyond devastating. Especially when it's something in which you find comfort.

*Rocks you with your head on my shoulder*

{HUGS}

I've been Boooo'd!

If it is the tartness you enjoy, look for seville oranges ( marmalade is made from them) . I hope you can find something you enjoy to substitute for grapefruit.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

I feel your pain I can't imagine not having my grapefruits, which I share with my daughter and we both love them equally as much. I'm so sorry I know I am pregnant so I'm emotional anyway because of it, but I got teary-eyed reading your post. I can totally feel your pain. I would have cried too had I been hit with that same news.

Awww, Kim that is really sad, and I feel so sad for you especially when its your comfort food. I hope you can find a good substitute and a way to wind down again. I completely understand why you would have sat there and cried...I would have too.

Yup, no grapefruit allowed on my cholesterol med either.

I was going to suggest pomegranates, I LOVE them! They are in the stores just now, not sure if they are available year round.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Not a fan of grapefruit, but I feel your pain. I citrus. I've even been known to bite into a lemon.

I saw a lady on Oprah a few years ago who said she had conceived all 3 of her children while on the birth control pill. Turns out she was washing it down with grapefruit juice. It evidently neutralizes a lot of medicines.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Grapefruit/citrus fruits alternatives

Hey Kim, see if any of the citrus fruits listed here would be an alternative to your beloved grapefruit.

The pomelo looks like it might be a good alternative, or the Ugli fruit.