Thread: does she need a doggie friend?

does she need a doggie friend?

would a companion dog/teacher be a good idea for our adoptee since she does not seem very knowledgable about playing? Both dogs are very well socialized.............just wondering if a companion/teacher dog was a good or bad idea?

the whole story:
    We adopted an American Russell Terrier (short legged) from someone that had been breeding her. They got them from a Vet they said was breeding her and wanted out of the business. We are told she is 2-1/2 years old and she has always been penned/crated. She does not know how to play, everything causes her concern or worry until she gets used to it....because she has always been outside in a pen.

She is not agressive towards other dogs (had her at Southern Ag and she visited with other dogs just fine) and she is not aggressive towards people either.

we took her for her shots and tested for heartworm......heartworm positive. She goes into the VET tomorrow morning to start treatment.
    Spayed down the road after she gets over that.

It does sound like she would benefit from a friend. Will you, once she's done her heartworm treatment, be taking her to classes or anything for socialization? She sounds like she'll need a lot of "rehab" - occupational therapy for being a dog. Perhaps greyhound rescue websites would be helpful for you, as she, like many greyhounds, has always been caged ... they have tips for overcoming fears.

I'd be cautious and introduce her and any potential new dog on neutral territory. Once she's done the heartworm treatment, her energy level may rise, too. I hope she will be okay!

Do you have any dog-owning friends nearby that she could do "play dates" with?

no friends with dogs that would be 'good' to visit.

We do plan on getting some training classes as well as training at home to occupy her mind and needs.

She gets along great with dogs and cats...........overall very well considering the ordeal she has lived through.

We will introduce in neutral territory..........I do not think there will be any aggression issues..........I was just kind of concerned whether a doggie friend would help her with 're-hab' or do more harm.

I will look into the greyhound rescue as you advised.

Thanks for the quick response.

I believe "right" doggie friend would help, once she has been declared heartworm free. A stable, but young enough to still be playful dog would help. Just make sure it isn't an aggressive dog, one that is too dominant, or one she is afraid of. Some dogs will be afraid of dogs bigger than they, some afraid of dogs smaller than they are, so you'll have to try a couple matches to see how she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    She sounds like she'll need a lot of "rehab" - occupational therapy for being a dog. Perhaps greyhound rescue websites would be helpful for you, as she, like many greyhounds, has always been caged ... they have tips for overcoming fears.
    Sorry, Karen, I have to vehemently disagree here. Perhaps it's the way I read it, but it implies to me that greyhounds are fearful because they've been "caged" their entire lives. Racing greyhounds lead very unique lives, but, as a whole, they are incredibly well socialized with other dogs and humans. They *really* know dog communication because they've been raised, literally, with a large pack since puppyhood. They are also handled frequently with a plethora of people. Greyhounds are introverted as an innate breed characteristic, rather than the way they are nurtured.

Anywho, back on topic

Do you have puppy/adolescent socialization classes or playdates in your area? Check your local doggy day cares. Doggy day cares often host socialization play dates for well-mannered dogs of similar statures/ages to mingle, often under the supervision of a trainer/experienced kennel hand. The only way your dog can learn "dog" is through positive, personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle View Post
    Sorry, Karen, I have to vehemently disagree here. Perhaps it's the way I read it, but it implies to me that greyhounds are fearful because they've been "caged" their entire lives. Racing greyhounds lead very unique lives, but, as a whole, they are incredibly well socialized with other dogs and humans. They *really* know dog communication because they've been raised, literally, with a large pack since puppyhood. They are also handled frequently with a plethora of people. Greyhounds are introverted as an innate breed characteristic, rather than the way they are nurtured.
    I never meant or implied that they are fearful because of being caged their entire lives. What I meant is that many greyhounds have fears of specific things like grass, stairs, cars, etc. - things they have never encountered, and that her dog may have some of the same fears because of her circumstances.

Some greyhounds are so sheltered that, combined with a greyhound's usual nature, it make getting used to the big world outside a slow and delicate process. I have known some, a teacher I knew had one that was afraid of everything when she got her. I only met her about 6 months into her living at her new home, and it was on one of her first "outings" to somewhere with a big crowd of people. She was doing pretty well, but only if her "sister" - a goofy sweetheart of a well-adjusted greyhound, had been rescued several years before - was on one side of her and her human mom on the other. Otherwise, she'd stand and shake, poor thing.

That's why I recommended greyhound rescue sites - they are more used to dealing with helping sheltered critters learn about the world in a nonthreatening way.

Again, I disagree. Track life is a very unique and misunderstood life. Track dogs are exposed to large turn out pens which often have sand and grass, machinery (and, yes, cars and trucks!), other packs of dogs, grooming, the racing life (which entails being in constant socialization with large crowds of people, photographers, various kennel hands/trainers, visitors, veterinarians, loud noises, etc.). Considering that racing is an institution in and of itself, they do a pretty darn good job mass socializing these dogs. Many greys, if not genetically predisposed to "spook", are often social butterflies (at the very least, amongst other greys).

When you suggest talking to greyhound people about these things, I assume you're referring to the large community of ex-racer owners. The large online greyhound community is fairly unarguably GreyTalk.com. And if you post on there, I'm probably going to be one of the first responders because my main interest is in the Behavior/Training section So you might as well ask me now LOL!

In fact, the best people to talk about dog fears and adult socialization are people like Pat McConnell, Karen Pryor, Emma Parsons, Jean Donaldson, and anybody else who is of the mindset that fears and emotional "disabilities" can be overcome through correct usage of positive reinforcement and socialization.

Edit: I hope I'm not coming off vicious or anything. My ears and mind just perk up anytime the word "greyhound" shows up, especially in discussions of behavior (another passion of mine!).