Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! Gabriel has Diarrhea

Help!!! Gabriel has Diarrhea

I have been batteling intermittent diarrhea with Gabe for just under a week. He is on Albon but what I am baffled by is that he will not use the litter box for doing his # 2 business.

He used it when he first came and his stools were normal, but now he goes on the basement floor.

I don't mind that it is on the basement floor because it is afterall the unfinished basement and it is very easy to clean. He has not had an accident upstairs in the house...he know's full well when he has to go and he gets down their on time. I know this because I went down to clean out the boxes this morning and told him to "give me a # 2" so I could take it to the vet for a full specimen screen.....and he did give me the specimen....on the basement floor AGAIN.

I don't get mad at him, I am just really wondering if I have done something wrong.

I have a total of 6 boxes......cleaned on a daily basis....4 with clay litter and 2 covered with clump litter. His first litter box at my house was the 2 covered boxes and he did all his business in them like a really good boy. We moved both boxes to the basement this weekend because both Gracie and he were using the ones downstairs.

When he has a hard stool he uses the boxes like he is supposed to but when he has the diarrhea he goes on the floor.

Anyone have any advice???? I just don't know what to do. Thanks everyone. --- Meg

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Sorry, I have no advice, but I know when kitties aren't feeling well they sometimes associate the litter box with not feeling well and that's why they choose the floor. The only time Tubby has ever gone outside the box is when his tummy is upset - and I know that's what it is because I always find puke nearby too.

Hopefully the vet will be able to get Gabe's tummy back to normal real soon.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    You've done nothing wrong Meg, it's probably due to a change in food. I had them on Albon here for several weeks (well over a month ago) and it cleared up the pancakes. They never seemed to have all out diarrhea though. Maybe you should keep them both in the bathroom, or the cage until their tummies acclimate. I had them on a mixture of Purina kitten chow/ regular & Purina One, Science Diet Growth, and Iams all mixed togther along with wet food AM & PM. They seemed to do well on it. Both have been wormed for round worms several times as well, so it's unlikey to be them. Maybe a stool check for Gabe will give you answers. You can't let him keep going on the basement floor though! You may want to see if your vet carries "amphoral" which works great for knocking out diarrhea. Three times a day X 3 days. Keep me posted.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Thanks Debbie and Jan.....

Jan he was screened this morning and everything came up negative. I have started to give him the combination of plain yogurt and pumpkin pie filling....both Gracie and Gabe loves to eat this.

If things don't get better in the next day or so I will call and ask for amphoral.....thanks again.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Antibiotics tend to give them diarrhea as well. Ughhh.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

Yummy pumpkin pie with whip topping That's what we call that combo of pumpkin/yogart at our house.
    Glad the kids like it within a week hopefully toostie rolls will be rolling. No pun intended.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I'm so sorry to hear that Gabe is not up to par.

Prayers on the way that the yogurt and pumpkin do the trick and little Gabe will be making toosie rolls real soon.

Sending (((((HUGS))))) for meowmie.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I used for BooBoo time and time again to help his diarea problems years ago with baby food.Chicken with broth or gravy.My vet told me to use it for 5 days and it really did help because it is so bland.Chicken only he said to use.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Thank you everyone. I am writing everything down and taking all advice to heart.

Poor Gabe had an accident last night...he sneezed and pooped at the same time. Needless to say it was a pretty stinky clean-up.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Sorry to hear Meg as I am dealing with the same thing and have since we brought the babies home. They were negative for worms so the vet did cytology (direct smear under microscope and sometimes a special light) for bacteria and that is what they have - plus it keeps changing as one clears up. Hope you get poor Gabe cleared up and that he does not "share" with Gracie.
    I will also try the chicken baby food for blandness. I am ready to tear my hair out. I forgot to ask about "amphorol" - doc wants to try Flagyl next but I will ask when I call.

Originally posted by catlover4ever
    Poor Gabe had an accident last night...he sneezed and pooped at the same time. Needless to say it was a pretty stinky clean-up.
    I'm so sorry little Gabe, but the visual on this....I just had to laugh.... Sorry little guy. I know you're not feeling well and your tummy is upset, but I'm sure your new meowmy will have you "right as rain" in no time.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Originally posted by catlover4ever
    Thank you everyone. I am writing everything down and taking all advice to heart.

Poor baby Gabe. And poor mama Meg to have to deal with such a stinky mess. Maybe both kittens should go on hamburger and rice for a few days (along with pumpkin, and yogurt). It may sooth their intestines having a bland diet. Does the yogurt have active cultures of acidophillus in it? Most health food stores carry good quality capsules of acidophillus. I get the refrigerated capsules, and sprinkle quite a bit onto wet food for kittens dealing with diarrhea. Also I've been trying to use L-Lysine a lot (but time's an issue most days), as it boosts their immune systems. It also comes in capsule form, and there's no set amount that you HAVE to give. When I'm medicating for URI around here, I often mix some right into the amoxi, or clavamox so they get a dose twice a day. Hope things start looking up for the sweet little monkeys.
    Author Unknown ~*~

Oh yes..I've been buying pumpkin too for the ones with diarea ..and Monty has very hard poopys like rocks so I buy a can of pumpkin and break it up in tiny bags and freeze it.Then take it out nuke it with water and put in a shringe and give it too him. That way I KNOW he ate it.But I hear pumkin is good for diarea and constipation.Plus the chicken baby food.It's tough with 10 cats.But the ones with problems I shringe feed because they won't touch the pumpkin otherwise.Everyone will eat the baby food but it's to expensive to feed 10 cats with and not enough vitamins and nutriants to stay on it for more than a few days.Pumpkin the same.You have to give him other food too.I've been giving everyone "Sensitve Stomach Science Diet Dry" and it really cleared a lot of them up.I leave that on the floor always from now on.Then can wet when they ask for it maybe twice a day.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

OK, here is the update.......

I took my lunch break and made a run (no pun intended) to the store and bought several jars of Gerber Chicken with Gravy and Turkey with Gravy. I also bought some more dry kitten formula of Science Diet. I mixed it in with Purina Kitten Chow, Purina Cat Chow the Science Diet and some Purina One. I also found some Petcillin at Agway that is all natural with pectin (I think) and kaolin which can be added to their wet kitten food every 4 hours for the next 3 days.

I mixed the Petcillin with some wet IAMS kitten formula and used the dry kitten on top and then in the other dish gave them a small jar of baby chicken......so far, so good

Mark and I are monitoring Gabe and Gracie to make sure they don't get into teh adult food right now....therefore the adults are a little unhappy because they will not have any wet food until morning.

Again thanks to everyone who responded....I really appreciate it.

P.S.....Debbie (T&P's Mom) I too laughed because all I could think of is how many times people themselves may have sneezed and come so close to having an accident.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Hope the new "buffet" helps make the diarrhea go away.
    Sounds like an interesting combo of food.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor