Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, BC

2010 Olympics in Vancouver, BC

Is anyone else as excited as I am???

Ever since I was a tiny little girl I have wanted to go see an event at the winter Olympics, and now it looks like I might get to!! ... in 7 years I knew Vancouver was one of the contenders and I was REALLY hoping they would get it I was so excited this morning when I heard that they did! I'd love to go see the opening ceremonies, but I'm sure tickets are probably very expensive.

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

Ooo, I would love to see the Winter Olympics!! I hope you get to go. LOL, hope you remember this in 2010...Take pics!!! I love to watch on TV!
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Adopt NaylaAdopt Perdue!
    Save a life, adopt a pet!

Yup, it's pretty exciting all right. I heard the news on the way to work and was expecting cars honking, but nothing happened.....Let's just hope the govt pitches in some $$$$ so our taxes don't go up too much (wishful thinking...)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

When they were announcing it this afternoon, me and my sis were joking around and crossing our fingers. It was funny because they had this huge envelope and everything. When they got picked we were liek "EEEEEEE!" lol That was fun

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Vancouver got picked? Hmm...woohooo I guess? Lol...I guess that's good....even though I'm in vancouver..I couldn't be less excited lol...I guess I'd try to see the opening ceremonies...but then..I have 7 years to worry about it lol.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

To me, that is exciting news!! I remember when they announced that the 1996 Summer Olympics would be in Atlanta, and even though I didn't go to a single event, I was just thrilled that it happened so close to me! If I had been in a better financial situation, I would have been there, believe me!!

Congrats to Vancouver!!!

ooh how fun! I hadn't heard! (the final result). cool I have several friends there. Think I'll put in a housing request now!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

I am one of the pppl that are against the 2010 olimpics in vancouver. I think it is a waist of money, Time, and space.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

lol i agree w/you tm...only cause...we have such major problems downtown east side...and the four pillars approach obviously isn't working...and now..they want to spend all that money on the olympics which would most likely bring money in..BUT i remember there was one place that lost money because of the olympics..if there's anything we don't need right now..is loss of money...especially with the layoffs for teachers....nurses...etc

I adore the Olympics-well the winter ones! The bronze medal winner in ice skating in 1972 is a goood friend of mine from Canada. i'm going to be there in 7 years with my toque on and my cold feet! Wish they would use some doggies in the opening ceremonies. O Canada!!
    Artists and dogs are not meant to be understood;merely adored!!!

Originally posted by Airedalekisses
    Wish they would use some doggies in the opening ceremonies.
    Lol that'd be so cool..have some doggies do some musical freestyle or something...or have some pound poochies there..

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    I am one of the pppl that are against the 2010 olimpics in vancouver. I think it is a waist of money, Time, and space.
    ... I'd say something, but i'll hold my opinions back.

However, think it's a waste? Don't pay attention to it.

I could careless about the Olympics, but, others do, so let them do what they want, lol.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I am not a big fan of sports but I respect the people that watch the Olympics 24/7 when they are on.
    Tho I don't agree with you simple lack of disregard and disrespect of the whole thing.
    Personally I don't think either one of you is old enough to understand the concept as a whole.
    Course I am sure you will tell me how wrong I am, you always do.
    B/c you are both always right, and noone else ever is.
    Cities clean up for this type of thing. Maybe it is what Vancouver needs.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I wasn't quite sure about the Olympics coming to Salt Lake City....

But wow, I was so glad that it did! I completely enjoyed it! They really cleaned up the city, and added some great features to it. Because of the cost, I didn't get to attend any actual Olympic events...but they did, however, have a bunch of free concerts. I went to a couple of those, and it was great! They also had a bunch of tents set up that you could go in before and after the concerts and they announced the olympic winners for the day during each concert.

D'oh...I DID go to an event! I was picked from my high school to go to one...I don't recall the name of the event, but it involved skis lol.

I think its kind offensive to say it's a waste of time, money, and space...but think whatever you want. Hope everyone else enjoys it!!

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    You say this but have you ever taking in to consideration the amount of money that the olympics will bring in? I was in Calgary during the 88 Olympics, yes I was only 8 years old but I remember it well. Businesses profits increased during the Olympics, all of the facilities that were built for the Olympics are still used today many of them for the purpose of training future athletes that will one day represent OUR country at these very Olympics. Plus it opened up the worlds eyes to Calgary and Alberta, it let them see just how wonderful a country it is and just how great the people are.

So maybe I'm just being an overly proud Canadian, or a stubborn fool but personally I think the this is great news not only for the people of BC but also for the people of Canada as a whole. It's a way to bring the country back together because lets face it lately things haven't been all that great between the east and the west.

I heard last night on a special on CBC (yes I watch the CBC) that the majority of Canada is behind Vancouver on this. Vancouver won't be doing this alone, all of Canada will be involved in this.

And as for the waste of time it's two weeks...not a lifetime, not a year...but two weeks.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!