Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you walk your cats?

Do you walk your cats?

Since the weather is getting warmer now, I've decided walk my cats. I've tried putting them on a leash and harness, but its so hard. So far, I've only gotten my Blueberry in it, and brought him around the house. Actually, it was him that dragged my around. He ran around like crazy as soon as I got it on.
    Have any of you trained your cats to walk on a leash? Any advice for me? Thankx
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

I have never walked my cats, but I have a neighbor who walks his cat every day! Both he and his cat seem to enjoy it. He uses a leash and harness.
    ~Kat

My husband tried to walk Jack once...he never tried again. Jack somehow got out of his leash when he was frightened by something. But I have heard of people walking their cats on leashes with success.

I don't plan on walking Toby. He is scrictly an indoor cat and I'm afraid that if I start walking him he will start getting curious and may run out the door someday. As of now he runs away when we open the door, which makes me feel better

Many years ago when Tubby was a youngster, I would take him for walks around my neighborhood. One thing you have to remember is that it's not like walking a dog. Tubby was constantly stopping and sniffing things and getting side tracked. I would have to tug on his leash to remind him that we were w-a-l-k-i-n-g, not sniffing, then he would run ahead as far as he could and start sniffing again. So patience is the key word here. Since then, Tubby has "learned the ways of the rope." He knows when I tug that he has to come, and he does.

It's like anything else, the more you do it the more they will get used to it and learn what's expected of them.

Good luck with future walks, and pics are always appreciated!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

My friend Sue walks her two cats on a leash very often. They love it and they love to be outside. All she has to do is shake their leashes and they come running. We are going to start training Hayley as soon as her stitches from her spay comes out. Mandy may take a little longer. She is still very small and we cannot find a harness to fit her.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

My cats go out at will, so I don't ever leash them. But I remember when I did try with Mimi, who just flattened herself out like a pancake! LOL!! Luckily both of mine stay very close to home....not going near the road or far from the house. They just seek sunshine or shade, depending on the weather, and then plop in just the right spot for a nap!

I've been leash training Nakita for the past few months, and finally with the arrival of warmer weather she was able to go outside for the first time. She took to the harness quite well and enjoys exploring the big outside world.

It was quite funny because she's never 'felt' snow before and she jumped into a snow pile. Then she kept jumping straight up in the air with an expression on her face 'OMG - It's COLD!'

Here's a couple of pics:

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

As we have seen here that the harnesses are not too expensive (about 6-10 $/Euro) we plan to buy one and check it. I would like to offer our cats a little more nature than the balcony flowers.

However I am not sure whether Filou whose middle name is Independence will accept it. With Tigris it could be easier -but we'll see. Would have been better we tried 6 years ago.

Nellie HATES collars and I can't imagine her with a leash/harness.

11. Edwina has a harness and leash. Mostly it is for controlling her when she is in the back yard...but if I pick up the leash and tell her it is time to go in she walks with me on it.... MOST of the time.

I think Boo would die of humiliation.

Russian Blue, that is a great harness! Where did you get it? Do they do mail order? Ours are similar but not as good quality.

Three of ours have worked out that harness = fun outdoors. With Mini and Jasmine we put the harnesses on and took them just outside the front door so they felt safe, and kept the first few trips short. Then they got used to walkies and love it. Tabasco worked it out first time and took to the harness immediately. Pickles, well, we haven't tried since last week when he ran and hid
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

I do not walk my cats, however they DO allow me to hold onto the other end of their leash and drag me all over the yard

I had a big male tabby ( 24 lbs) that I use to walk daily on a leash with a collar though, not a harness, as he didn't like the harness at all. But he was trained when he was just 6 weeks old.
    Believe me when I say that you get lots of stares from people when you are walking a 24 pound cat on a lead especially when at first glance they thought it was a small dog.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010