Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flint's Story

Flint's Story

Hi everyone. As many of you know I just adopted an 8 month old neutered male named Flint. He's a very large boy and probably weighs between 13-15lbs. Here is his story. He was born on June 20,2002 to a feral brown tabby with orange spots which resembles a tortie. They believe his father was an orange tabby. He was also the largest of a litter of 6 kittens. A woman adopted both Flint and his brother as young kittens but she became extremely allergic to them. She tried many kinds of allergery medications but nothing worked. During this whole time she never handled her kittens and they may have also been abused. She finally returned both young cats in November. The shelter was trying to keep both brothers together but realised that since they were older now that it would be more difficult for people to adopt both of them. Flint's brother was finally adopted a few weeks ago.

Flint has been in a few foster homes so he's moved around quite a bit. Then the foster homes got full so he was moved to the Stanford Pet Clinic. He was in a cage in the back along with some other animals. He was next to Storm's twin who was already owned but he really took a liking to me for some reason. Since Flint has been at the clinic he hasn't been able to play as much so he's gained some weight. He loves other cats and always wants to become friends with them. He's shy around people that he doesn't know and he doesn't like to be held and isn't a lap cat either. I was able to pet him a little bit but he didn't seem to enjoy it very much. This is why I know he'll bond with my cats before he bonds with me. He does have the potential for being a very sweet and loving cat so I don't think I'll be disappointed. It will just take some time.

I kept him in my room while I was at work today. When I got home he hid under the bed before I could open the bedroom door. Both Sunny and Storm went back and sat on my bed sniffing and looking in his direction. Storm got bored and went out to the kitchen with me but Sunny stayed and was able to coax Flint out from under the bed. Flint really seems to like Sunny but Sunny seems to be afraid of him. Storm isn't afraid of him but seems to want to fight him instead. Flint really seems to want to make friends with both cats. It will just take some time but I've already noticed that Flint seems to be relaxing a bit more than he was when I first got home.

I don't know if I want to keep his name or not. Since I have a Storm and a Sunny I kind of wanted to keep a weather theme. What do you think? Does any one have any suggestions? I'm sorry this is so long. Hopefully I'll have some pics of him by this weekend. Here's the only pic I have of him.

That sounds a lot like my Nipo's past. It has taken her years to trust us and warm up to us. I'm so glad you adopted this *BIG* sweetie!
    Some name suggestions....
    Skye
    Zephyr
    Thunder
    Tsunami
    Sleet
    Squall
    Aeolus - god of the winds
    Last edited by Kater; 03-11-2003 at 01:54 AM.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

ooooh! I LOVE Skye!!! Beautiful!! That's my vote.

He is just beautiful Tracey. I'm so glad he was destined to be with you, Storm and Sunny. What a wonderful, perfect forever home. I just know that he'll be very happy.

Don't close the door on him being a lap cat. He'll learn to trust you and will see Storm and Sunny loving you...he'll learn what good people are about and just may surprise you.

He's gorgeous! Congrats to you, Sunny and Storm. I can't wait to see pictures of them together.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

OMG! Congrats! He's adorable! How about calling him Blizzard? I would call him Cinnamon because of his color, but since you want a weather theme, I'd suggest Blizzard.

Some more name suggestions:

Hurricane
    Tornado
    Haily (from hail)
    Wind
    Breeze
    Misty?

Former User Guest
    Awww, Tracey, he is gorgeous! I'm so happy for you, Flint has the perfect and loving forever home now.
    I agree with Kelly, Skye is a great name!

He's gorgeous. I like Skye too but it's kinda girlie What about Cirrus? That's a type of high cloud. It also sounds kinda mysterious, which is like his past It also has that "S" sound even though it's spelled with a C. I'm really pushing this name.. I'm liking it more and more!

Either way, he's gorgeous and I'm so happy he went to you. He couldn't have had it any better!

Awww, but I have a guy friend named Skye! Don't tell him it's a girly name!

I immediatly associate "Skye" with a female character on GH LOL.. It's weird how certain names can be influenced by our own experiences

Along the same lines of Cirrus....how about Nimbus, Cumulus or Stratus?

Cirrus! That's a good one! I vote for Cirrus too!

OMG, KAK!!!!

What a DARLING boy! I am SO excited for you!

I like the idea of your furkids having weather related names, but am worried a little about confusing him. (Of course, a lot of cats ignore being called anyway...) Just in case, might consider ...
    Flare? (Solar flares?)
    Fine, Loving Independent Nimbostratus Tyke "F.L.I.N.T." -- Nimbostratus is a type of cloud that is a harbringer for heavy showers/snows....
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

In thinking of a name for him, may I suggest "Vayu", the very old Aryan god of the wind.

.........wayne

Tracey, I like the name, so I vote that you keep the name Flint for him. He's a real beauty! His behavour remind me very much of Fister's when he first came up, now he's sleeping in our bed most of the night - and walking all over John. So you just wait and see!

Cant' wait to hear more and see pics.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I also think that the name Flint is good.
    Flint is a great cat, he's very handsome and I think that your kitties will very soon become friends and he'll learn to love people too.
    I am so excited for you!!!!!

Well, the poor boy he hasn`t had a very good start in life but from now on he is going to have such a wonderful, loving and happy life, of that I am sure. I am so excited and happy for you both and I can`t wait to hear more and see some pics.

As for his name, well, I really like the name he has, so I also vote to keep his name Flint.

Chris