Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Bumps" on cats

"Bumps" on cats

I've got a question about "bumps" on kitties. Back in September I took Tubby to the vet for his 6 month check up. The vet said he was doing real good and had gained some weight back. I had started to notice this "lump" a little bit back then, but Terry said it was just Tubby's shoulder, or the way he was sitting, so I just kind of ignored it for awhile. But then it seemed to be getting bigger, so this last time I took Tubby to the vet for his bladder infection, I asked her about it, and she said she had noticed it and wasn't worried about it. Said it was probably just a "fat deposit" or something, but it was nothing to worry about.

I thought I'd show you guys what it looks like and get your opinions, or maybe some of you have seen something like this before. It doesn't seem to bother him, and it's soft and mushy - like a "fat deposit" would be. When I rub it, he doesn't do anything or act any different than when I rub his other shoulder, or any other part of him, so I don't think it hurts him at all. I checked a cat's anatomy and there are no organs in this area (they are all under the rib cage) so it's not like it's an inflamed liver or anything like that.

Here are the pictures. If you face the same way he does, it's on his left shoulder.

And another one with him more straightened out.

And in this one you might think that bulge on his side is his belly, but it's really the lump.

So what do you think, should I get a second opinion or do older cats sometimes get "fat deposits." As you know, other than his bladder infection (which is completely cleared up as far as I can tell) the vet said his blood work looked good and his kidneys are working at the same level they were back in Sept. And this lump is big enough that she noticed it before I even said anything about it, so I just thought I'd put it out there to all you kitty experts here at PT.

With this lump, sometimes when he's standing looking at me front on, he looks like a bull dog, so he's now my bull dog kitty.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Sorry, I just can't seem to see the bump! The thing I worry about is Vaccine Associated Sarcoma .... a cancer caused by a previous vaccination in that spot ... they can show up years after the vaccination was actually done. Maybe a second opinion wouldn't hurt?
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

If it would ease your mind, I'd get a second opinion. Can't be too careful with our fur kids, you know?

I can't tell much from the pictures, but I'll tell you about Bo's lump. I noticed it on the 4th of July, 2000. It was small, like a pea. I took him to the vet the next day, and she did a biopsy. It showed cancerous cells, so I made an appointment for surgery on July 19th. The time from the appointment to surgery it grew very fast - it was the size of a 50 cent piece by the 19th. After the surgery they sent the mass out for testing and it came back as "very malignant - please advise client" and my heart sank.

The good news is, it's been almost three years and he has been cancer free. we never found out for sure if it was a vaccine sarcoma, but it was at the same spot where the rabies vaccine is given.

On the other hand, Abby has a fat deposit lump on her abdomen. She's had it for years and notheing has ever come of it. I think the vet can tell by how the lump feels (hard, soft, painful for the cat, does it move, or does it seem to be attached to something) what type of lump it is, but to be absolutely sure, a biopsy or the like must be done.

I've known older cats to get fatty lumps that are easily removed through surgery. I think it's quick common in older dogs as well. I would definitely get a second opinion. If it is just fatty lump and not causing Bo any pain or discomfort, may it should just be left alone rather than putting him through unnecessary surgery. But then again, I'm no vet.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Ditto on the second opinion. Lumps growing where they shouldn't usually are not great. I thought about v.a.s. too; is the lump in a "shot spot?"
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

My mother had a cat who suffered from vas, and she had a dog who had the biggest fatty deposit you've ever seen on her hip. It was unsightly but didn't cause her any problems (The dog, not my mother!)

I would ask the vet though how he/she knows it isn't vas!

I know you'll keep thinking about it, so get a second opinion and perhaps have your vet do a biopsy - just to make sure.

I hope it's nothing! I don't think it is! Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I'd also get a second opinion. It's better to be safe than sorry. I sure hope that it's nothing. Good luck.

Originally posted by boscibo
    I can't tell much from the pictures, but I'll tell you about Bo's lump. I noticed it on the 4th of July, 2000. It was small, like a pea. I took him to the vet the next day, and she did a biopsy. It showed cancerous cells, so I made an appointment for surgery on July 19th. The time from the appointment to surgery it grew very fast - it was the size of a 50 cent piece by the 19th. After the surgery they sent the mass out for testing and it came back as "very malignant - please advise client" and my heart sank.
    The good news is, it's been almost three years and he has been cancer free. .
    doesnt a malignant tumor mean that the cancer will always stay? im just wondering cuz my dog has cancer and her tumor was malignant
    and i also agree with getting a second opinion...for possibly a year or so we were told that leathers (my dogs) tumor was just an allergic reaction...after taking her to a different vet, she was diagnosed with cancer. it was a big shock to have a vet tell us for so many months not to worry about it, and we change vets and all of a sudden shes getting surgery
    I've been BOO'd!

A malignant tumor is one that sheds cells to invade other parts of the body (metasthesis.) This is why chemotherapy or radiation is used in conjunction with surgery; to kill off these rogue cells. Sometimes it is very difficult to kill these cells and sometimes it is easier; it depends on the type of cancer, and how fast the tumor shoots out cells.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I would also get a second opinion. Please let us know how things work out.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

Originally posted by smokey the elder
    A malignant tumor is one that sheds cells to invade other parts of the body (metasthesis.) This is why chemotherapy or radiation is used in conjunction with surgery; to kill off these rogue cells. Sometimes it is very difficult to kill these cells and sometimes it is easier; it depends on the type of cancer, and how fast the tumor shoots out cells.
    oh ok thanx! im surprised leather hasnt grown any other tumors since her last one...do u think she could be cancer free? the vet said it would last forever, but then again i know alot of not so smart vets
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by wolfsoul

doesnt a malignant tumor mean that the cancer will always stay? im just wondering cuz my dog has cancer and her tumor was malignant
    and i also agree with getting a second opinion...for possibly a year or so we were told that leathers (my dogs) tumor was just an allergic reaction...after taking her to a different vet, she was diagnosed with cancer. it was a big shock to have a vet tell us for so many months not to worry about it, and we change vets and all of a sudden shes getting surgery
    That's what I thought. But follow up visits showed no cancer, but there is always a possibility that it has spread. No symptoms of anything right now, it has been almost 3 years. They took out a lot more than the lump - a lot of surrounding area was cut out. I have heard if it develops again, a leg amputation will probably be advised, I hope for the best. We caught it fast, so maybe everything will be alright. I'm taking Bo in on tues. for a mid-year check up, but he is really doing good.

Thanks everyone. I guess the pictures aren't as clear as I thought. I know what I'm looking at, but when I looked at the pictures as if I didn't know Tubby, it was kinda hard to see what I am talking about.

And you're all right. I will continue to wonder until I get a second opinion, so I'll have to get an appointment made. I don't believe Tubby is any pain, or that he is affected by it at all just because he doesn't really "acknowledge" it in anyway...that I can tell that is. I'll have to do a little research to find another vet in the area that I trust, but that shouldn't be too hard, so I'll let you all know when I get him in.

Thanks!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl