Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taz is out of control! Update (sorta) w/pix #25.

Taz is out of control! Update (sorta) w/pix #25.

Here I thought his surgery might make him feel better and he would be nicer to Paizly. Boy was I wrong!! He is actually worse now. I don't know what to do. So I thought I'd come ask my PT family what they suggest.
    I know there are several things I've read about on the cat side, but what would be better suited for my situation? What have you used to help calm a hissy cat? He hisses and growls when he just hears Paizly's tags jingle. And now he is beginning to get pissy with the dogs too.
    I could live with this because it's not affecting Paizly in the slightest, but I don't like to see him this way. AND since it is becoming more frequent and severe I must find a solution. He even smacked her while they were both laying on me earlier. No, it's not a jealousy thing. He does this even when I'm not in the room.
    I really need something before Christmas. We are going to be leaving the cats home alone for 3 days while we go visit my family. I don't want to have to leave Paizly locked up in her room, that's just not fair. Normally I'd take Paizly with us. But my sister will be there with her puppy and after seeing Paizly's reaction to Taggart I don't want to put her through that (especially in a different house).

Suggestions please!!
    Last edited by Taz_Zoee; 12-14-2008 at 01:00 AM.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

During the summer time a dear friend of mine went for holidays to Canada for 3 months, I volonteered on keeping her cat till she's back. During this time I went away a couple of times for two, tree days, what I did is seperating them but not in one room, I divided the space of the house, so none of them will have just a room but more then one where they can venture.

Now that we have Rocky on Prozac for his peeing issues I have to say that stuff is wonderful (knock on wood). He's a very sensitive cat and would get upset if the other cats got too close or touched him. He would also stalk and attack Scout but now on the prozac he is one laid back guy. In fact, he's more playful like he used to be as a kitten.

I don't know if medication is something you want to consider or if it's even something Taz can have after his problems but if all else fails you might want to look into it. Of course you have to medicate him daily so you'd need to consider that if leaving them alone.

Have you tried Feliway? I use it and I think it helps but I can't say for sure. When my supply runs out this time I'm going to stop and see what happens.

From Decker with Love

Karyn674 that is a great idea, except I would have to figure out a way to divide the house. I have two baby gates but Paizly can climb them even when they are stacked one on the other. Bruce might have a temporary suggestion for a divider. I'll talk to him about that.

Jazzcat I would consider drugs if I tried them out first to make sure they worked then I would only do it when we leave them home alone for several days. I wonder if there is a shot he could get to last a few days? I'm going to contact my vet and see what they suggest. Otherwise, I did get a kind offer of someone to come to my house daily or even take Paizly for a few days. So I'm going to talk to Bruce and see what he thinks is the best solution.

Any other ideas? Keep them coming.

And thank you ladies (even the emailed idea from kitten645) for the suggestions.

ETA: I called the vet and the girl suggested feliway. I'm nervous about the plug-ins after reading the other thread started by catlady711. But I think I'm going to try Catty1's way and get a stretchy collar and try that. Although (I just thought of this) I won't be home to reapply it each day. Darn! Is there anything I could put in his food? I have an automatic feeder that I will fill up before we go. Maybe I will have to do the plug-ins after all.
    Last edited by Taz_Zoee; 11-29-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I've been using Feliway plug-ins for several years with no problems. I did have the one that felt hot to the touch a couple of months ago that I mentioned in the other thread but I believe that plug-in may have been my first one that was several years old. I think you would be fine with a new one. Even if it helps I still wouldn't feel safe leaving them together with no one to check on them. Feliway only helps so much.

From Decker with Love

Well when I said I devided the space of the house I opened all the doors exept the deviding one. Then again the layout of my house made it possible. Lulu had the kitchen, stairs and wash room. Kira had the two bedrooms and hall.

Maybe you can even use cardboard and fix it with masking tape to add on on your baby gates!

Would Taz tolerate a super stretchy collar? One that slides right off if it happens to get caught on something?

My vet highly approved of my "Feliway collar". Get one really stretchy collar. Put one squirt of Feliway into it. That way Taz gets the full 4 hr exposure.

He could be stressed out, and something natural like Feliway would be easy on his system.

My last purchase of Feliway was half the price or less! Apparently the patent has come off, so now they have to price competitively!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I AM LUCKY THAT NOTHING LIKE THIS HAS HAPPENED AT THE FOUND CAT HOTEL.
    TUBSTER PANTHER AND MIQUELITO THE LITTLE ORANGE LION DONT GET ALONG, AND TUBSTER PANTHER SPENDS HIS TIME A LOT IN THE BASEMENT WHERE HE FEELS MORE COMFORTABLE.
    I HOPE THAT YOU CAN FIND A WAY WHERE THEY CAN HAVE A CEASE FIRE, AND AT LEAST NOT BE ALWAYS FIGHTING.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    ETA: I called the vet and the girl suggested feliway. I'm nervous about the plug-ins after reading the other thread started by catlady711. But I think I'm going to try Catty1's way and get a stretchy collar and try that.
    I do Catty1's way, for Vita for her peeing. I spray her cloth* on her collar every 3 or 4 days. If you start NOW, you should be fine by Christmas, leaving for a few days. You will know it is working, and there will be enough built up on the collar to last.

I didn't even bother with the plug ins. Locally 2 friends tried them and found it barely covered one bedroom, with the door closed. As I have the cats out and about in 9 rooms plus the cellar . . . . plug ins just weren't going to suit my needs. I needed something which is everyplace Vita is.

*I took an old T shirt of mine which I was going to toss. I cut a strip about 6 inches wide, starting up from the bottom. I cut it in half at the side seams, so I had 2 pieces, I could make 2 covers. Then I sewed each one up, then threaded her collar through one. It isn't fancy, or even pretty, but it works!

On the Feliway bottle, it specifically says DO NOT SPRAY ON THE CAT. So I make sure to only put it on the cloth cover. I'm not sure what would happen, and I don't want to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by karyn674 View Post
    Well when I said I devided the space of the house I opened all the doors exept the deviding one. Then again the layout of my house made it possible. Lulu had the kitchen, stairs and wash room. Kira had the two bedrooms and hall.

Maybe you can even use cardboard and fix it with masking tape to add on on your baby gates!
    Actually we have old closet doors that we use at Halloween that Bruce might set up to block off the hallway. So Taz would have the kitchen, living room, dining room and studio. And Paizly could have the hall, her bedroom, our bedroom and both bathrooms. We are still deciding on what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Would Taz tolerate a super stretchy collar? One that slides right off if it happens to get caught on something?

My vet highly approved of my "Feliway collar". Get one really stretchy collar. Put one squirt of Feliway into it. That way Taz gets the full 4 hr exposure.

He could be stressed out, and something natural like Feliway would be easy on his system.

My last purchase of Feliway was half the price or less! Apparently the patent has come off, so now they have to price competitively!
    I had already thought of your way Candace. And I meant to stop by the pet store on my way home, but forgot. I'll stop by tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I do Catty1's way, for Vita for her peeing. I spray her cloth* on her collar every 3 or 4 days. If you start NOW, you should be fine by Christmas, leaving for a few days. You will know it is working, and there will be enough built up on the collar to last.

I didn't even bother with the plug ins. Locally 2 friends tried them and found it barely covered one bedroom, with the door closed. As I have the cats out and about in 9 rooms plus the cellar . . . . plug ins just weren't going to suit my needs. I needed something which is everyplace Vita is.

*I took an old T shirt of mine which I was going to toss. I cut a strip about 6 inches wide, starting up from the bottom. I cut it in half at the side seams, so I had 2 pieces, I could make 2 covers. Then I sewed each one up, then threaded her collar through one. It isn't fancy, or even pretty, but it works!

On the Feliway bottle, it specifically says DO NOT SPRAY ON THE CAT. So I make sure to only put it on the cloth cover. I'm not sure what would happen, and I don't want to find out!
    This is good to know it will last more than one day. I was thinking I'd need to have someone come in and apply more. But this sounds like a great idea.

However, we might have to go the blocking off the hall route. Because Bruce would rather not have Paizly out in the studio unsupervised because there are lots of wires and cables that he doesn't want her messing with. I think I'm still going to do the Feliway on the collar regardless. He just needs to CHILL OUT!!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas. I will let you know how the Feliway collar goes.

This might sound silly but if I were you, I'd remove Paizly jingling tags. It puts her at a disadvantage if she is trying to be quiet about her whereabouts with regard to Taz and the sound itself might be driving him a little crazy. If the tags are i.d. tags, you could switch to a collar that has a space on it where you can write her information right onto the collar itself.
    Does Taz attack Paizly at all or is he mostly just hissing and stuff? If they aren't fighting, I wouldn't worry about it as long as they have enough places to escape to if they want some time to themselves. But if he is going after her, it might be a good idea to put either him or her in a room for a few days. It will fly by and then you won't have to worry while you are away.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    This might sound silly but if I were you, I'd remove Paizly jingling tags. It puts her at a disadvantage if she is trying to be quiet about her whereabouts with regard to Taz and the sound itself might be driving him a little crazy. If the tags are i.d. tags, you could switch to a collar that has a space on it where you can write her information right onto the collar itself.
    Does Taz attack Paizly at all or is he mostly just hissing and stuff? If they aren't fighting, I wouldn't worry about it as long as they have enough places to escape to if they want some time to themselves. But if he is going after her, it might be a good idea to put either him or her in a room for a few days. It will fly by and then you won't have to worry while you are away.
    Removing her tags is a good idea. But we have them on there so WE can find her. Although she is getting bigger now so her hiding places are becoming fewer. I could probably write our info on the one she has on now. Sometimes she will walk stealthily enough so the tags do not make a sound.
    Taz doesn't "attack" her unless she gets close enough then he will swat at her. Boy sometimes it sounds like he's about to kill her, but I think it's all show. He sounds vicious!!

I stopped today on the way home from Taggarts training and got some Feliway and a collar for Taz. It is on him now. We shall see if this works.
    I think if this does work I might try the plug-ins too.

If you need any of the plug in recepticles, the plug in part, let me know. I have a stash of them from when I used them before. I had gotten them off of eBay. They are the most expensive part, so just want to offer those to you. I can get them out to you on Thursday or Friday of this week.

Hey Cindy Lou Who... I've got 3 of the plug ins that I found. They all look basically unused (I had bought 5 in a lot on ebay... I think the gunked up the other two).

If you want them they are yours!