Thread: Hartz Flea Control Update

Hartz Flea Control Update

Hey Everyone! Below is a copy of the email I sent to Sobeys(Grocery Store in Canada, where my husband & I purchased Hartz One Spot Flea Control which put our 3 cats in pain)

(THIS EMAIL IS THE RESPONSE I RECEIVED BACK FROM SOBEYS TODAY)
    ANYONE INTERESTED IN PERSONALLY WRITING TO HARTZ & SHARING A PEICE OF THEIR MINDS, I WAS GIVEN THE CONTACT INFO

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Melski,

Thank you for taking the time to write to bring this matter to our attention. I have forwarded a copy of your email on to our Merchandising Department for their review. If you wish to contact Hartz, please see the contact person below. I hope this meets with your approval.

Frank Lepore
    Business Development Manager
    Hartz Canada Inc.
    Ph. 905-631-5887 / 1-800-872-2004
    e-mail: [email protected]

Should you have any future questions, comments, concerns and/or suggestions please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email or by calling our toll-free customer care line (1-888-944-0442).

Sincerely,

Darlene P.
    Customer Care Representative
    Sobeys Atlantic

-----Original Message-----
    From: Tommy & Mandy-Lee Melski [mailto:[email protected]]
    Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 1:14 AM
    To: Retail Brands Consumer Response (Airway)
    Subject: Consumer Brands Question - Atlantic

To Whom this may Concern:

I am writing in regards to a product being sold in your store.
    This product is called: Hartz One Spot Flea Control and it almost killed my 3 cats this evening. My husband and I picked up a pkg. of this flea control at our local Sobey's store in Sydney River, NS.
    After arriving home, we placed the drops on the back of each cats/kittens necks. Approx. 1 hour later...one after another, they developed erratic behavior,screaming as if they were being attacked, panting heavily, hissing at themselves and running around the house frantically! This scared my husband and I so much....thinking that we were going to loose them...we bathed them to get as much of the product off of their skin/fur as possible. Now, they seem to being doing fine.
    We are ,fortunately,one of the lucky ones to have caught it so quickly!
    I would like you to view the following link. This will show you how many people are against this product and/or have been devastated by using it! Many animals are dying because of Hartz products for Flea Control!
    Please HELP: REMOVE this product from your shelves - Save Lives and Much Heartache.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/hartz/

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Sincerely,

Mandy-Lee & Thomas Melski
    Thor, Belle & Scout's Mom

Good for you - taking action by writing the letter and making your feelings known. I am a letter writer myself and I know it is frustrating but if enough people do complain, we ARE heard!

Got Similar Case in Alabama

We have the SAME exact situation in Alabama!!! Someone bought the Hartz drops and their cats almost died! There is an ingrediant that SOME cats are allergic to or causes BIG side effects.
    This lady was on the news here locally about a month ago. She contacted the company herself. They gave her the same spiel you got. They have NO plans of removing it from the market.
    I worked in a Pet Store and I would NEVER recommend Hartz brand unless it was a toy. Even the toys I was picky on. I've used Hartz products a majority of my young life. Now as an Adult, I question it's quality and healthfulness. It scares me to see the number of Pet companies that put things out that are completely unsafe for animals.
    Keep yourself educated and protected. No one else is going to do it for you!!!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Good for you for writing to that store. Hopefully they'll be smart and remove it from their shelves.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...