Thread: tasteless antibiotic? Change of plans...

tasteless antibiotic? Change of plans...

Does anyone know of an antibiotic equivelant to Clavamox that is tasteless? My cat Tiger is already making snuffly noises and choking as he did 5 months after the first tumor was removed from his nasal passage but this time, it's only been a month and a bit since the tumor was removed.
    My vet told me that when they removed the tumor this last time, there was some pus and an infection which they cleaned up. I emailed him (he is quite far away) and asked if the infection could be back and if so, could I try and treat it with some Clavamox tabs (62.5mg) that I had on hand. He thought that it could be the infection and that Clavamox would be a reasonable treatment for it. I told him I only had 5 days worth if I give it twice a day and he told me to let him know if there was improvement and he would call in a prescription for more at a pharmacy near me.
    The problem is that they are bitter and I have pilled the first two but it was a struggle and he is already having difficulty with his airways and it is so stressful for both of us to try and force them. I bought pill pockets and he isn't interested in the slightest. I crushed it up in the gravy of some wet cat food and he wouldn't eat it. Today I crushed it up in more gravy and then drew it into a syringe and tried to give it to him that way. He fought it and it was so upsetting to see him looking at me with such a pleading expression as if to say 'why are you doing this?!?'. He was coughing and miserable afterward and so tired. He basically hates me now and I feel so terrible about it. I don't want the last chapter of his life to be like this.
    Does anyone know of an antibiotic that is tasteless? If it wasn't flavored or bitter, I could mix it into his food because he still has an excellent appetite. I'm going to contact my vet on Monday when he is in next but I thought maybe someone here might know of an antibiotic that isn't so bitter and in the same 'family' as Clavamox.
    If there isn't one, I'll see if the compounding pharmacy can mix the Clavamox into a suspension and try and hide the taste.
    Last edited by Emeraldgreen; 02-18-2008 at 11:17 PM.

Clavamox comes in a liquid form called "Clavamox drops." It is not tasteless, but certainly better tasting than the pills. The only downside is that it expires in something like 10-14 days from mixing. Hopefully your vet has this in stock! Best of luck with your sweetie.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Thanks for your reply Kater. I have tried Clavamox drops with Tiger during the summer, before the vets realized that he had a tumor, they thought it might be an infection back then and they prescribed the drops. I had the same problem with getting it down his throat, it ended up making his breathing worse and he coughed alot and alot of it was all over his fur. I tried to mix it with his food and he wouldn't eat it. Thank you for the idea though, I appreciate the help.

Pilling cats is not easy!! Do you have someone else helping you? It would make things so much better if you could get it down on the first try before he has time to start tasting it (easier said than done, huh).
    These videos may help you with your technique: http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell....le/index.shtml

It may seem forceful, but you've seen how stressful the alternative is, and in a lot of ways "quick and dirty" is better for all involved. Have you tried a pill gun? That will help you get it placed further back in the throat and thus make it harder for him to spit it back out.

Another idea is to maybe have the vet give him antibiotic injections. They would probably be every 4 days or so. This may or may not be a less stressful alternative.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

My suggestion was going to be compounding. While FlavorX stores usually do critter flavors, some pharmacists are better at it than others; there was a guy around here that was said to have ferals come looking for antifungal "treats."

Something that works here is to mix the liquified pill into Tuna Select, the nastiest, fishiest food known to feline! You can get other nasties at the grocery store, like clam juice, too.

You can get lots of FREE guidance from your pharmacist! And they DO know this stuff, lol. Why not ask what options may be out there? THEN run it all by the vet. If nothing else, you will have educated yourself so the discussion with the vet is easier for you to follow.

Baytril is another antibiotic, which can be used. There may also be others. Still a pill form, not the strong smell and taste of Clavamox. warning: Baytril COSTS!!! There may be one or 2 others as options as well.

Well, this morning I thought I had fooled him but in the end it was him that fooled me, the little bugger! I put the tablet inside the small pill pocket and then used a Friskies wet food that had chunks in it similar in size to the pill pocket. I only put a teaspoon worth in a bowl and mixed it all together so I could be sure he'd eat it all. A few minutes later I looked in the bowl and it was empty. I was so happy but then... I picked the bowl up to wash it and there was the slimy pill pocket on the carpet. UGH! He was looking at me as if to say "what?!?, you expected me to eat that weird thing that was in there?" lol

Kater, I will check out that link you included in your post. I know you're right about just getting it done. I can pill other people's cats but I just get too emotionally wrapped up in mine and I'm hopeless at it. I'm going to try a few other options and if all else fails, I will pill him and get my husband to help. I will use the method of holding his head back and gripping it with my thumb on one side and forefinger on the other side and use my other hand to hold his lower jaw down and get my husband to toss it as far back as he can.
    I really like the possibility of injections every 4 days though. I'll ask my vet about that. And, maybe they could send me home with it so I can do it myself? The tablet thing is just so hard because his illness has everything to do with his throat and nasal passage so I hate to further irritate this area.

Critters-I'm going to pick up some stinky cat tuna and clam juice and anything else that looks like I might be able to hide it in. Good idea.
    Last night I found a site that suggested 'greasy' meat, like pieces of hamburger or sausage. It said that cats turn fat into energy and they are naturally attracted to grease and their drive to get that fat often over-rides their suspicion of hidden meds. And as you and Freedom suggested, the pharmacist might have an idea for me. If she can put it into a suspension that eliminates the bitterness, I should be able to mix the 1 ml or whatever into wet food.

Freedom- I was looking into Baytril last night because it looks like they now come in a coating that is palatable. While I don't think Tiger would eat it like a treat, I might have a better shot at 'hiding' it. I'll have to ask my vet about it. But, as you mentioned, it's expensive which I'd like to avoid if I could.

I also found on another forum, I think it was PETFINDER, someone talking about a flavorless liquid antibiotic used for farm animals that some woman used at a cat shelter and that it was similar to Clavamox. They didn't include the name in their post though. I will also ask my vet about that.

Clindamycin is an antibiotic, a clear liquid. I keep it refrigerated and it seems to go down better that way. It's stronger than Clavamox, I think, though.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Heck - get the pill popper and get Hubby to help! Quick and dirty might be less stressful for all concerned (including Tiger)
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

We did it! I asked my husband if he would help and he didn't look too thrilled with the prospect of it but I told him that all he had to do was throw the pill into the back of Tiger's throat and I'd do the rest. The whole thing took all of 4 seconds and the pill was down and I stroked Tiger's throat a few times and then immediately followed it with a fancy feast chaser which he happily ate and quite enjoyed. I don't think Tiger loved the pilling but it was so fast that I don't think he had time to hate it either!
    So quick and dirty is the way to go! And my hubby has agreed to be my pilling partner twice a day until the treatment is over. I think he was kind of proud of himself for how well he tossed the pill in. LOL Thanks everybody.

Medusa, when I contact my vet next week to have the prescription filled, I'll mention the Clindamycin. It may be that a more powerful antibiotic is better suited for this infection (if it is an infection) and I'd sure like to get this under control if it's possible.

While Clyndamycin, Baytril, and Clavamox are all powerful antibiotics, they each tend to be suited to different types of infections. I'm no expert on which ones are good for what but seems at work they use Clavamox for bad kitty respiratory infections and abcess wounds, Baytril for the very very sick kitties, mostly as an injectable and never on older kitties, and Clyndamycin they tend to use with cats with dental problems and mouth infections.

Clavamox is a bitter tasting thing, and yes the pill form seems to be worse. Even with using FlavorX some cats just plain balk at taking it.

If your vet and your cat are agreed to it, probably taking the cat in for injectable antibiotics would be easier. We've had several clients do this that either didn't have someone to help them medicate the pet or if the pet was VERY fiesty about taking meds.

Good luck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Thanks for the antibiotic information. The pilling is going much better now that I have help. The new problem seems to be that the Clavamox is making him feel awful. He's been sleeping alot and when he does get up he looks out of it. I googled it and found some sites that said Clavamox can make cats feel nausceous. Pepcid AC was recommended to help combat that so I'll ask my vet if that would be okay to give him.
    If the pilling starts too become to stressful for him though, I'd definitely like to pursue the antibiotic injections.

With a brood of 11, I sometimes have to be creative when one or more is on oral antibiotics. Depending upon the antibiotic itself, I have mixed them with yougurt (strawberry is popular with my guys) or a bit of carnation can milk. It may be worth a try.

The pilling became too stressful and Tiger was fighting it alot these last few times. Tiger looked so scared and I was bleeding because he got me pretty good and my husband said "why are we doing this to him?!?" and I realized right then and there that I was doing more harm than good. I was so sad because all I want is to help him live for a few more months and he doesn't understand why I'm holding him down and stuffing things down his throat. It's not how I want things to be for him if he doesn't have that long.
    I did try mixing it with the stinky tuna and this morning I tried both canned milk and yogurt but he had no interest. So... I emailed my vet and asked if I could get an injection for him and there is an injectable antibiotic that is one shot and stays in the body for just over 6 days in a cat and is equivalent to 14 straight days of oral antibiotics. My vet wasn't in today but the other vet he works with suggested it. I'm going to make sure my vet thinks it's okay first and then have him fax Tiger's records over to a local vet and I'll take him in for an exam and an injection later this week. So, we'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions everybody. I gave 'em all a try. He is one tough customer! Here is a link with more info on the injection in case anybody else is interested for their cats down the road:

Convenia (injectable antibiotic)