Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? on Petsmart

? on Petsmart

Does Petsmart sell live Kittens & puppies? We don't have that store here but, I have been ordering from them on the internet. If they sell animals I don't want to give them my money!
    I realise that this has been talked about b/4 but I just blanked it out because I thought I was ordering from Pawspective Thanks

As far as I know....

Petsmart takes in loaned animals from local shelters and tries to rehome them through their store. Each shelter still oversees the adoption process. These pets are not for sale, they are pets for adoption through the shelters. I volunteer at a shelter in my area and they sometimes take a few of their pets to Petsmart, for exposure to the public in hopes that they will be spotted and loved and then adopted...If they are not adopted they bring them back to the shelter. It is a really nice thing to do on Petsmart's behalf, and I suggest you continue to shop there. I don't know if all Petsmarts work the same way, but I would think they would. Just call the store and ask them!

That's the way it is here too. The cats/kittens are in my local PetsMart every day (on loan from local shelters) and on the weekends they have a puppy or dog or two (also brought there from the local shelters). They have adoption papers there to fill out when desiring to adopt, but I do believe, like SAS says, that it all must go through the shelter they came from.

The shelter I volunteer with does mini adoptions at PetSmart as do other rescue groups I belong to. I am pretty certain that PetSmart doesn't sell dogs and cats. As a matter of fact, during the adoption there, our Local PetSmart donates the food the animals eat during the day, treats, toys, poop bags, etc... and even will do some grooming while we are there to spritz up the dogs. Also for each dog that it adopted, PetSmart donates some money to the shelter.

I, too, admire Petsmart for staying out of the puppy mill and kitten business. Our local humane society has adoption days there every Saturday, and Sunday too, I think. They also open their doors once per month for Greyhound Rescue and our local Golden Retriever Rescue. I proudly give Petsmart as much business as possible. Plus I love the fact that my girls can go with me when I shop there!

Our Petsmart also allows shelters to bring in their animals up for adoption. The shelters handle the adoption process.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Same here on the west coast. Our local Petsmart has re-homed hundreds of animals from the local shelters- and from what I've seen, they are grown animals, and not the easier to place puppys and kittens.

Originally posted by Sudilar
    Our Petsmart also allows shelters to bring in their animals up for adoption. The shelters handle the adoption process.
    That's what they do here too. We've gotten Noel and Basil from Petsmart as rescues.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Well glad I asked! Thanks for the help. I shall cont. to order with them and yes they do donate to a shelter depending on what you spend.

We have a Petco Same owners as Petsmart?) The Toledo Humane Society brings in their dogs Thursday-Sunday to try to find homes. PLanned Pethood, another local shelter also occasionaly uses this store ( it is interesting when they are both there!) I try to find an excuse almost every week to go visit one day when the shelter pups are there.

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
    I try to find an excuse almost every week to go visit one day when the shelter pups are there.
    Careful....that's how we got Noel....."just looking!"
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Our Petsmart also has shelter and foster animals up for adoption on the weekends. In addition, Saturday is puppy vaccination day. Anyone can bring in their pup to get vaccines and a doctor's visit for only about $10. They also donate lots of stuff to our local shelters. At Christmas time, they brought a truckload of pupper and kitty food to our Humane Society.

I love our local Petsmart.

We have Petcetera.. I think it's either affiliated or is almost exactly the same as PetCo. They have a place called PAWS Adoption (they are a no-kill shelter that takes in over-filled shelter's animals) which is where I got Tilly

RE: PET SMART IN CANADA

Sammi, I have just read your concerns re: Petsmart.
    I have just moved from Toronto to Montreal. In Toronto Petsmart takes a very active part in trying to find homes for needy animals. As in the USA, they hold weekend sessions for animal shelters to come in with some pets and the shelter handles the adoptions. They are really doing a wonderful thing and serving the animals in the best way they can, i.e. trying to find them a "forever home". I do not know if there is Petsmart in Montreal, but if there is, they will be adhering to the same policy, I am sure. Judging by the tone of the responses to your concerns, it seems that Petsmart does not SELL animals, but is in the business of animal placement in connection with local shelters. Glad to read that you will continue to give them your business in the future; they are really OK!!! Regards from Deborah in Montreal, Canada.
    One cat just leads to another - Ernest Hemingway

The Petsmart here also brings in cats and dogs for adoptions on the weekends. Some of the Petco's also do this. I got Pepper from Petco through an organization called Care.