Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breeding!!

breeding!!

Have you or someone you knwo ever bred a dog? if so why? jus curious
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I know a few people who breed dogs!
    Last edited by GoldenRetrLuver; 05-06-2003 at 09:35 PM.

The only person I knwo that breeds dogs is Mickey's breeder (and she'sdoing a great job )

I really don't think we need too many breeders. This girl on this other messag eboard was talking about breeding her poodle, but asked if anyone knew anything about the subject. What's the point, she doesn't even know what she's getting herself into

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I do have a friend that breeds labs for service dogs. She does a wonderful job and then ones that are not judged "service dog quality" (not really sure how that is determined), she sells for a minimal amount with the stipulation that they be spayed or neutered. I'm not sure I agree with breeding dogs when there are so many dogs in need of homes - but it is difficult to fault my friend who spends her lunch hours at the animal shelter walking dogs and helping train them. She is also the company adoption coordinator - she is constantly trying to find homes for the dogs that are in the shelter. I guess the advantage of breeding dogs is the ability to breed desirable traits and health, although my experince is that mixed breed dogs seem to have the least amount of health issues and if trained and treated properly seem to get the best traits of all the breeds

Can you tell - I love my mutt!!!

I have some backyard breeders for neighbors. One who breeds labs, another who breeds beagles, and another who breeds dachshunds. That poor lab was bred every year of her life except the last few...as she has cancer now. And I've seen the beagle male and female and they live outside and look like crap. I think the others do take pretty good care of the dashsunds. I know the beagle/dachshund ones don't breed them every year....I've just seen signs up for puppies a few times.

A friend I had didn't *intentionally* breed her german shepard, but it could have been prevented. She was not spayed and was always getting loose. The father was a german shorthair. The pups were adorable....they loooked like chocolate and black labs with white spots. They ended up keeping the biggest chocolate one because he had a deformed eye.

Another neighbor kept a smaller chocolate brown pup (she looked more shepard then the others) and she didn't live a good life, and ended up getting hit by a car. I've often wondered the fate of the other pups...as I think they just gave them away.

And actually the mother and the pup they kept also ended up being killed...they got loose and were pts at a shelter.

I have never bred before but if misty turns out really well and fast and passes all health tests and has a good build ect.. we will be getting her inti the flyball breeding program, so she is not being spayed unless she does not pass all the testing
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Amy, have you reported the neighbors yet?? Do they still breed them? I hope not!

Actually, my friend is planning on breeding her beautiful tri-color English Springer Spaniel! I mean, how often do you see a tri-color Springer? Never, lol! I can't wait until her pups come! They are not going to breed her for another year, though!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

ummm.... Once my old dog Sadie got loose and we had gotten her from the spca. so we thought she was spayed. She wasnt. she came home pregnant, with 15 lab pups.

We used to breed malamutes.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

43 years ago my Aunt and Uncle bread their GSD to another
    GSD.
    Today they would be called BYB, back than people
    did not know any better. Two of the pups were going
    blind before they were 2 years old.
    (refund was giving to the owners, but that does not
    stop the heartach of having your dog go blind).
    Thank goodness their GSD was never bred again.

I have a friend who lives in AK that has bred one
    litter of pups, and is co-breeding a litter in the future.
    She has been training/showing/handling AKita's for
    over 12 years.
    She learned the heartach of owning 2 past dogs that
    came down with heriditary illnesses from a
    breeder who did not care what 2 animals he put together
    just so they met the standard.
    (back than my friend did not know how to read
    and research lines.)
    She took the time to learn/study genetics before
    deciding to breed her Ch. female.

I do not think I could ever be a breeder.
    Takes a lot of time, patience, learning, research and money to
    do it the right way.
    I would rather just get a dog from a reputable breeder
    or adopt from a shelter.
    JMHO
    Last edited by KYS; 04-18-2003 at 03:44 PM.

----<---<--<{(@

one of our friends breeds rotties.........

The only person I knwo that breeds dogs is Mickey's breeder (and she'sdoing a great job )
    Same with me... the only breeder I know of was Otis's, but I don't know if she is doing a good job.
    What I mean is is that Otis wasn't very healthy when we got him. Well, he was, but he had a cloud in his eye that she wasn't sure about. A couple of years later, it led to surgery. I noticed that some of the signs of this "breeder" led me to a PUPPY MILL! I just say that I saved Otis.

When my mother was younger, and still lived with my grandma, their dogs were bred all the time. They didn't make alot of money off of them, only about 20 dollars each mostly for cockapoos, and pekingese crosses, which they would have made tons off of nowadays! They had a few litters of larger dogs, mostly dobie, greyhound and dalmatian crosses. (my grandma is pshyco, don't blame my mom)

My dog Leather was going to be bred to another shepherd, but she wouldn't let any dog mount her, even when she was in heat! The only dog she was able to let mount her was an old shepherd named Kemo, but once he "got started" she would attack him....so... I was young when this happened and didn't know about the good effects of spaying and neutering

Stitch was also supposed to be bred, to my RB white german shepherd Polar. But he had to be put down when he was a puppy (Stitch's puppy pic is in my avatar). Before that, she bore a litter to the samoyed lab cross, Forester, across the street (not intentional) She had 8 puppies, 5 pure white ones and 3 black ones with white markings (stitch is white, the Forester was black, they made really cute puppies)

After Pedro had an affair with Nakita (broke Timber's heart ) They had puppies. But that wasn't intentional either..
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by Dogz
    Same with me... the only breeder I know of was Otis's, but I don't know if she is doing a good job.
    What I mean is is that Otis wasn't very healthy when we got him. Well, he was, but he had a cloud in his eye that she wasn't sure about. A couple of years later, it led to surgery. I noticed that some of the signs of this "breeder" led me to a PUPPY MILL! I just say that I saved Otis.
    Hey why not? It'll make you look good Just kidding. That's sad about Otis' eye but I'm glad that he's doing better now.

from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.

my neighbor bred her shih tzu for 3 years, before she stopped. i think she did it so her grandkids and friends could have a puppy or two. but i don't know for sure, i'm guessing.

My friends' aunt had a Golden who they bred with another Golden. The poor boy died a few months after of cancer. Neuteur your pets!