Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog breeding.

Dog breeding.

What are your thoughts on breeders. Do you support breeders? Do you think people should only get dogs from rescue foundations? Are breeders just there to increase the dog population when here are so many homeless dogs in rescues

I personally support breeders. I'm not talking about Back yard breeders....obviously what their doing is very wrong

Thank you joanofark for the great siggy

Please everyone, keep this civil as well!!

I personally will never fully agree with breeding until there are no more dogs being killed and "living life" in a shelter. I understand it is necessary to keep breeds alive and going, but i'd like to see there be absolutely no need for shelters.

Any and every dog I get will come from a shelter or be a rescue of some sort.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I got Heidi from a breeder. I support RESPONSIBLE breeders who are trying to better the breed, but Backyard breeders are a DIFFERENT story with me. If we didn't have responsible breeders we wouldn't have dogs that fit the breed standard, and we wouldn't have conformation, a sport which I like to do, and we probably wouldn't have some of the breeds people love, but just because someone has a dog that fits the breed standard doesn't mean that that dog should be breed. I have a dog that fits the breed standard, but I am NOT going to breed her. It doesn't interest me, I will leave it up to the people who know what they are doing, its way too much work, and I just plain don't want to do it. I have had MANY people try to convince me to breed her, but I just tell them, "No! I am NOT going to breed her, and no one can change my mind on that." The only reason she isn't spayed is for conformation purposes only, and once she gets her titles shes being spayed. In the future, when I grow up, I would LOVE to get some dogs from shelters and rescues, but until then I will only have Heidi. When I get older, out of the dogs I get (I want three, but we will see how that goes) i want at least one that I can do conformation with, perferably a GSP because they are so easy to groom.
    Last edited by Miranda_Rae; 12-21-2004 at 12:55 PM.

I support breeders and rescue...but I do believe rescuing is better, and I'll stop at that.

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

I love breeders (please don't get mad at me for saying that) It's NOT their fault irresponsible people are putting dogs in the shelters! good breeders find good homes for their dogs and they are also making sure certain breeds are being bred to do what ws originally expected of them I have NOTHING against breeders and I support them 100%!!! I don't however support BYB's though and never will I personally have never gotten any of my dogs from breeders as of yet, in the future though I will most likely be getting a Toller from a wonderful breeder seeing as there aren't many in shelters/rescues near me

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I support responsible breeders, but my first choice will always be rescue.

Thank you Wolfie!

I will also say I support the responsible breeders, but I would never breed myself.

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

Originally posted by Orangutango
    I love breeders (please don't get mad at me for saying that) It's NOT their fault irresponsible people are putting dogs in the shelters! good breeders find good homes for their dogs and they are also making sure certain breeds are being bred to do what ws originally expected of them I have NOTHING against breeders and I support them 100%!!! I don't however support BYB's though and never will I personally have never gotten any of my dogs from breeders as of yet, in the future though I will msot likely be getting a Toller from a wonderful one seeing as there aren't many in shelters/rescues near me

I completly agree.

If there were no breeders some dog breeds would be lost, and if there were no breeders there would be no dogs to rescue . I got Grace and Luke from a breeder

Thank you joanofark for the great siggy

Originally posted by Mandy1
    I completly agree.

If there were no breeders some dog breeds would be lost, and if there were no breeders there would be no dogs to rescue .
    That's so true!

Thanks Kay!!

I support responsable breeders. and I support responable rescues, as not all are responsable. I personally plan to be a BC breeder, BUT I also plan to rescue BCs, the way I figer it if I am putting dogs into the world, I should help out the existing ones as well. I hope to get Misty an ROM with ISDS at some point if she is good enugh, I would like to be an ISDS reg'd breeder but I have no ISDS reg'd dogs lol but this also depends on where I move to. we planned to move to abbostford, only 1 small problem they have a dog limit out in the country, 3 dogs. and they have several differnt kennel licences, 1 is no breeding, 1 is you can breed BUT all the dogs MUST be CKC Reg'd CKC does not recignize BCs lol the other other is a small buisness, in which case you also need and small buisness licence. therefore we qualify under none of those lol so we may have to move someplace more dog friendly
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Yes, I support responsible breeders.
    Like Orangutango said, it's not their fault dogs are ending up in shelters due to irresponsible owners and/or breeders. In fact, most responsible breeders also work in rescue.

Both of my dogs came from BYB's, and I will never make that "mistake" again.. but, I don't regret getting either of them.

I keep in contact with my (hopefully) future Collie breeder, as I plan/hope to bring in another pup within the next few years or so. I'm also in the process of searching for a Golden Retriever breeder whom I can keep in contact with for the future.

I can't say I support breeders really because you will never see me talking them up and encouraging people to buy dogs from them. I am against BYB and puppy mills of course, but I am okay with responsible breeders who do it for betterment of the breed. The problem is that there are so few REALLY responsible ones. Sometimes the ones who seem responsible to an Average Joe turn out to be extremely irresponsible. So I never quite believe it when people say they got their dog from a responsible breeder. Not that I think they're lying to me, just that I think they don't know.

My dogs and cats are all shelter babies and will ALWAYS be for the rest of my life. I will absolutely never buy a dog from a breeder. I spend all of my time fostering and doing shelter work trying to fix the homeless problem. I could never justify buying a dog when SO MANY are dying in the shelters. I just couldn't do it at all. I'm not scoffing at those of you who do buy from breeders, I'm just saying my feelings on the subject for me.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

i agree with Oragnutango 100%,i only support responsible breeders,not BYB.if there were no breeders,then most breeds would be lost and no there would be no dogs to rescue

i agree with breeding.

although there are some breeds that are so common i don't think they should be bred, like beagles, labs, cockers, pugs, german shepherds and other really common breeds. i also think that breeders shouldn't breed any more then 2 times a year.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Originally posted by Mandy1
    and if there were no breeders there would be no dogs to rescue
    Well if it is a responsible breeder, the dogs shouldn't ever have to be rescued. Responsible breeders know where their dogs go, follow up, and always take the dog back if the person can no longer keep the dog for whatever reason.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya