Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to lie?

Is it worth it to lie?

I am ticked. And yes I know being pregnant probably makes it easier for me to get ticked. But this subject really irks me.

Is socialization so important that someone has the right to lie and impersonate a Service dog to do it? Or how about wanting to go to a hotel that does not allow pets so is lieing and impersonating a Service dog worth that? I have read people on various forums admit for this reason or that to saying their dog was a Service Dog or a Service Dog in Training so that they could bring their dog into a business. Is this ever right?

For me the answer is no. NEVER. I have a Service Dog. I know how much work it is to not only train one but keep them perfect in appearance and behaviour. It is not just a simple matter of taking your supposedly well mannered dog into a business and lieing thinking it won't affect anyone. It does. And anyone else reading that you do it will think they can too. So what if their fake Service Dog is not as well mannered as the persons dog who posted that they did it. No big deal if someone tries it because they read that someone else did and their dog goes in and barks, bites, pees, or so forth in a business after you had lied that it was a Service Dog. Oh well that that will then affect the businesses view of the next Service Dog team. So saying it doesn't affect anyone is completely and totally false.

SO do any of you truely think there is a legit reason to impersonate a Service Dog? I say no.
    Nicole

I personally believe it is not ok to lie. But then the world is not black and white, lots of gray areas. Many hotels do take animals. Everyone has to make their own decisions and live with them. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Absolutely not. People should never lie about that.
    I've Been Frosted

Lying is never OK. especially about something like that.

I remember when we were on our way home from vacation with Teddy.... the weather got really bad and they weren't letting anyone over the border because of it. We had to find a motel ... last minute... on labour day weekend. It was impossible to find a motel that accepted pets that had vacancy. We finally found this little place and my husban went in and just told him that we really needed a room for the night but said we had a dog.... he is not noisy, has short hair and doens't shed too much, and is VERY VERY tired from vacation so he will basically only sleep the entire time. The man was very understanding and appreciated our h onesty about having the dog and how he might affect the room. We told him that if need be we would pay extra for the room or any cleaning. he said that it would not be nessecary and rented us a room. If we had lied perhaps we wouldn't have gotten that room and would have been stuck in the car.

DON'T LIE. I can't stand people that lie. there are plenty of places to take their dog for socialization... they don't NEED to lie to get it done.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

There are time & places to lie & THAT isn't one of them!!! That lie can cause a lot of damage & or harm! Therefore its NOT ok.

I have lied to Chad a lot BUT of things that should be lied about. Hes very sensitive about the Cancer subject, as he was treated for Lung Cancer & he thinks its back (he refuses to go to the dr. still). So when he learned of my sister having cervical cancer I lied to him & said, yep shes cured! Shes not, it came back I haven't asked her about it in a few months so I don't know how things are with her. But I wanted to give him hope, cause my sister isn't down about it, she knew it was gonna happen sooner or later, as all females on my mothers side gets some form of woman cander down there (so far I'm spared & kinda shocked).

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ
    I have read people on various forums admit for this reason or that to saying their dog was a Service Dog or a Service Dog in Training so that they could bring their dog into a business. Is this ever right?

SO do any of you truly think there is a legit reason to impersonate a Service Dog? I say no.
    Nicole
    The position from which I want to answer this question is from knowing a service dog-in-training from church. No, it is NOT right. It's not right because is harmful to the reputation of service dogs, service dogs-in-training and organizations that work with service dogs and their people. There is a reason the puppy wears a bright blue vest. It clearly identifies him as NOT a pet. It's important to the success of these programs that the privilege of working with a service dog not be abused by people who merely want to bring their pet into an establishment. In my mind it's the same category as people who are not disabled who park in the designated parking spaces. If you are not entitled to the privilege, don't take advantage of it.

(by the way - her newest "trainee" is really, really cute - I'll try to take a picture of him when she brings him to church again)
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

No, lying is wrong. And lying about their animal being a serice animal is also wrong. They are only doing it for selfish reasons. Plain and simple.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

100% wrong.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I agree, it is wrong to lie about anything, but very wrong to lie about that situation because someone could get hurt if the dog wasnt that well-mannered, and you're right, it does make it so that next real Service Dog looks bad because the other dog was not well behaved.

Very wrong!

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Very wrong to lie about a SD. And let's remember that a dog that is licking tears away, hugging, kissing, is not a SD but a comfort animal. Some people can't seem to tell the difference and order a cape and put it on their dog. Fortunately in Canada we are now taking steps to rid ourselves of fakers because of the complaints from businesses and people who see this happenning. Unless you and your dog have been assessed and trained by a facility, there is no acceptance for the word SD in a lot of Canadian cities now.

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Unless you and your dog have been assessed and trained by a facility, there is no acceptance for the word SD in a lot of Canadian cities now.
    This is totally false. Please post links to your proof of this. Service dogs that are trained by facilities, Service Dogs that are trained by trainers and Service Dogs that are trained by owners are fully accepted by all Canadian Provinces. All they need to be accepted is a Doctors note. Well as accepted as any SD can be in Canada. Only Guide Dogs are fully protected as we all know. God I am sooooo sick of correcting your false posts.
    Nicole

And the last thought through the mind of the bowl of petunias was " Oh no, not again"
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    And the last thought through the mind of the bowl of petunias was " Oh no, not again"
    You can say that agian.
    Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by mike001
    Very wrong to lie about a SD. And let's remember that a dog that is licking tears away, hugging, kissing, is not a SD but a comfort animal. Some people can't seem to tell the difference and order a cape and put it on their dog. Fortunately in Canada we are now taking steps to rid ourselves of fakers because of the complaints from businesses and people who see this happenning. Unless you and your dog have been assessed and trained by a facility, there is no acceptance for the word SD in a lot of Canadian cities now.
    I greatly dislike the idea that there could be any prejiduce over owner-trained dogs. There are no training facilities in my area and I could never afford a facility-trained dog. Not only that but I have limited space. I will eventually keep a four dog limit and already one of them is a pet and one is to be retired after her next litter. Having a breeding program and a service dog is hard unless your service dog is part of your breeding program.

I think that by saying a service dog is not one that licks tears away and gives hugs and kisses and such is very misleading. There is no reason a service dog can not be relied on for comfort. My dog's presence alone is a comfort for me on a bad day. For those of us with mental conditions, sometimes all a service dog can provide is comfort. Luckily most of us have dogs skilled enough to tell us when there is a problem or to lead us home when things get bad, but not everyone is that lucky, and when you are sitting in a bathroom stall having the worst panic attack of your life you will want your biggest comfort to be there. Having been through it all, I can tell you that psychological disorders are not fun and as long as you are doing something to make yourself feel better, and it is not a harm to anyone else, than I don't see the problem with having a "comfort" dog.
    I've been BOO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ
    This is totally false. Please post links to your proof of this. Service dogs that are trained by facilities, Service Dogs that are trained by trainers and Service Dogs that are trained by owners are fully accepted by all Canadian Provinces. All they need to be accepted is a Doctors note. Well as accepted as any SD can be in Canada. Only Guide Dogs are fully protected as we all know. God I am sooooo sick of correcting your false posts.
    Nicole
    Please refrain from posing as the correction officer for my posts. You would do well to examine your motives for doing so and do a bit of research on your own postings.
    I have yet to see that you have been appointed the post police, so stop hiding your lies behind corrections of my posts.
    I won't give you the info since this is what you need to protect yourself and I can see through it.
    You have no clue what a service dog is except from studying the ada stuff until you were blue in the face.
    Sorry, but not only Guide dogs are protected around here if we have proof of assessment and trained dogs to mitigate tasks.