Thread: Is It All Worth It?

Is It All Worth It?

Wednesday evening we set out to the park to feed and try and trap mom and her 5 kittens. Around 15 minutes later we had mom and 3 kittens. The other 2 we didn’t see, and haven’t seen for the last few evenings. We were thinking “boy what luck”. “This has been one of the easiest trapping jobs yet”. WELLLL…don’t count your chickens before they hatch. What a nightmare this turned into. First off the kittens were infested with fleas, to the point the one female almost didn’t make it through the de-fleaing (however you would say that), and now we’re wondering if the other 2 didn’t pass on due to this problem. This is the first time we’ve had any problems like this in all the years we’ve been trapping at the park. The 2 males were able to be neutered but they have to wait till the female is in better condition and stronger.

Now for the worse part, while being put under mom cat bit one of the Techs. This wasn’t an aggression bite, but a reflex while being put under. This had to be reported to the County, and either she had to be quarantined, or be put down. Of course we opted for the first choice so now we have to wait for the “all clear” from the County, which is around July 2nd.

In the meantime we have to pick-up the 3 kittens and keep them until the female can be spayed and we can either find homes, or release them all together with mom. I guess I shouldn’t complain since this is the first mishap in the 8+ years we’ve been doing this.

Then Scooter's been at the vet for UTI, and Beavis has an eye infection.

I just wonder sometimes is it all worth it?

We will post pictures sometime this evening once we get the kittens at home.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Of course it is worth it. Think of the 3 remaining babies dying of anemia caused by so many fleas. Think of mom's next litter (which will now NOT happen). Think of the families that will be blessed by these little ones once they get adopted.

You just need a little {{{{{HUG}}}}}

Thanks Jen! I know it is, but when it gets as stressful as this, it makes you wonder.

I was thinking naming mom cat Mauly (Molly) for the biting reason!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Yes it is worth it! I think what you are others on this forum, and of course others who are not on this forum do for cats is just wonderful. I am in awe of all of you who give you time and effort to take care of cats the way you do.
    It's worth it knowing that these cats are getting looked after and are not being let to run wild and have loads of unwanted kittens.
    I think what you all do is just great, keep up the good work, even if it gets hard, inevitably everything is hard at the time, but looking back you'll be so so glad you've done it.

I know it is well worth the ones we can save but the ones we can't break our hearts and make us wonder why we put ourselves through all this emotion. The deal with the kitten Lil River still yanks my heart out because there was nothing I could do.

But like Jen said, think about the next litter that she won't have to be eaten alive by fleas. It is worth it..................

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

It is worth it, and in your heart you know it is, but these hard times are debilitating to the morale. You are already working intensely hard to save and assist many, many cats so a set-back like this can really feel exhausting. And now Scooter and Beavis are knocking the stuffing out of your bank balance, good job you love them so much! Very best wishes that all will turn out well with this new family.

I Think It Is , Even With The Sadness Of The Cats That I Could Not Help, Or The Passings Of Nugget And Scratchy.
    I Think That You Have To Do What You Can To Help, And Gary,karinas Babies, Ragnar, Norma, Pouncette And Babies And Rascal Are All Better For Having Come Here.
    The Bowls Are Always Empty, Someone Must Like The Chow.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

You're all so right, but it tends to get overwhelming at times, not only emotionally but financially as well. Our shelters are packed so if we don't find any prospective homes they'll have to go back to the park.

There was a couple from the vets office that may be interested, but haven't heard yet.

You have saved so many lives. I admire all of you that do rescue dog/cat/any other pet.
    Good luck to you and the 3 babies and the momma of course.
    Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

You are a hero to me. An absolute hero.