Thread: ear licking

Question ear licking

I have an English Cocker Spaniel, 1 1/2 years old, who licks my older Golden Retriever's ears incessantly, especially when we are in the car or if I am petting him. I think it is partly "jealous" behavior, or behavior when she is anxious (though when we ride alone she seems fine). The Golden is very tolerant, gives low growls only occaissionally, but it is really bugging me. Telling her no or pulling her off of him just seems to make her more frantic. They otherwise get along great and the Cocker seems to really love to be with the Golden.

Any ideas?

If it is really bothering your Golden, she will definitely let the other pup know Dogs are really good at communicating with other dogs and letting them know when they've had enough.

But I just think its an endearing action. My pups groom each other (and the cat, and vice versa!) all the time!

facebook

My Lucy licks Kodies ears all the time.I dont think its anything bad.Lucy loves Kodie alot,so i think she's showing affection torwards him. If your golden really didnt like it,i'm sure he would have let your cocker know.

My pug, Nacey and my dachshund mix, Nova do that too. The two of them are inseparable and I often find them grooming each other.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Too bad all this loving is getting on your nerves; I totally understand...Belle is an obsessive licker (floor, other animals, herself, etc.)...may I suggest earplugs?
    The verbal correction works only for about 30 seconds in my instance, so I am constantly telling her 'no' when she is in her 'licking' mood, and that is just as annoying to my husband as the licking...sometimes I just have to put up with small annoyances to keep the peace at home.

Good luck!

Raustyk my rott is always licking everyone's ears, the dogs, cats, ferrets. LOL I think it's great as I rarely ever have to clean them.

It's nothing bad, just grooming.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

My Sierra always has her tounge in Buddy's ear.
    She just looooves him so much. He loves her just as much, but does not lick her like she does him.
    He seems to like it, he'll just sit there and let her do it as long as she wants to, and he'll even close his eyes and dose off to sleep.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome