Thread: licking

licking

Ever since his nueter, Sam licks himself in that area constantly. It's been almost a month now, and all he ever does is lick. The sutures already desolved, and the area looks fine. Anyone know why he licks? Maybe a food allergy or something?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

You need to consult with your vet about it. It seems conincidental that it only started when he got neutered.

Should I just call them? Molli and Sam have been to the vet sooo much the last month and if it isn't nessecary to take them, then we should probably call.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

It may be a few things. It could be allergies, or it could of developed into a habit but most likely (as long he has no other symptoms) is that he's just still a little irritated in that area. Sure the sutures are disolved but I'm sure he has a little bit of scar tissue & not to mention whats on the inside. His tubes may still be healing or if the vet put any sutures inside of him they may still be disolving.
    Is he licking the area so much that it has become irritated? If so then I would consult with the vet. But if he's doing great otherwise I'd wait a couple more weeks.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    It may be a few things. It could be allergies, or it could of developed into a habit but most likely (as long he has no other symptoms) is that he's just still a little irritated in that area. Sure the sutures are disolved but I'm sure he has a little bit of scar tissue & not to mention whats on the inside. His tubes may still be healing or if the vet put any sutures inside of him they may still be disolving.
    Is he licking the area so much that it has become irritated? If so then I would consult with the vet. But if he's doing great otherwise I'd wait a couple more weeks.
    It isn't irritated... maybe just a tiny bit of pinkness but that only happens when he keeps at it for awhile. I will watch him for awhile and see if he gets better. Thanks for the replies!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*