Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fister is on the edge again

My, my, this news is breaking my heart. I know exactly how worried you are about Fister! You can count on some immediate prayers for Fister's good health. Please keep us posted with any news.

Give him a chin rub for me..........

Oh poor Fister, I'm so sorry to hear that you're not getting any better. I sure hope that the vet can fix you up and make you all better. If you have to have surgery then I also hope that this goes well too. All fingers and paws are still crossed here. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you too. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Sweet Fister,

I just held Basil's paws and we prayed that God would look after you during your surgery...we prayed that everything goes well and you get all better once you are home from the white coats.

Now....where's Noah and Noel......
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

oh, poor sweet Fister! I will also pray for him, that he is better very soon! poor baby

here's a hug for Fister, the beautiful orange kitty!

It’s 7.30 PM here, and Fister has finally appeared from under the bed, where he’s been for nearly 48 hours - apart from a few short trips around the flat. He’s been in his box last night and done a pee and poop, with no blood in it - thank goodness!

He has obviously had a really bad experience this time, so bad that he will have nothing to do with us. Especially with John, who hasn’t been able to get near him. This is most unusual and very worrying, as John is always the one he crawls around on while watching TV in the evening.

When John tried to catch him to take him to the vets, he howled very loudly (MOST unusual), and tried to hide himself in his litter box!

We will take him to the hospital on Wednesday and finally find out whether we are going to have him operated or not. We have now spent nearly $1000 on him, and it has only resulted in trauma and torment for Fister. Looks like we have a cat like Boots, who just can’t be cured with special foods. He’s now out and sitting in the bathroom, but is not very sociable, and still doesn’t seem to like John. It’s so frustrating - if only he could talk to us!

It’s nice to hear from Edwina that other cats take time getting over there sedation slowly, but it was very worrying for us since Fister has always been quick to come to us before, this time he seemed to reject us.

Newest development: He’s eating at the moment and has drunk half a glass of water during the night!!

Thanks a million everyone for all your support and prayers! And thanks Phred for your post last night, it helped us sleep better!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

6. What good news that Fister is eating, drinking and eliminating!

When I was a very young woman I was in the hospital. An older woman was brought into the next bed and catheterized. She tried to be so strong and only whimper. It is an indelible memory.

Fister has to be hurting from his medical treatment and like all of us...he is taking it out on those he loves most!

I'm sure it will pass!

I'm glad Fister is doing his business again. He has to be in some pain with the catheter. All animals will bite when in pain. He didn't mean to hurt John, he's just hurting and confused. Prayers still on the way for all of you.
    Big hugs too: (((HUGS)))

I am glad Mr. Fister seems to sllloooowlly be coming around. Maybe in a way that is good, as it keeps him sedate, and hopefully, he will heal better. In the meantime, the herd and I send our thoughts, prayers, and double cross everything for Mr. Fister!

We are rooting on you Fister, I hope that your situation gets better and better as the days go on.

Randi ~

Maybe I missed this, but Does Fister Still HAVE the catheter IN him, or did the Vet 'flush' him and then Remove the catheter??

If the catheter is still installed, then Fister won't have any control over when he 'pees' - the catheter drains any urine that appears in his bladder... He'll dribble almost constantly.

If they removed the catheter after the blockage was removed and they flushed him...
    Without the catheter he COULD block up again and not be able to eliminate his urine when he feels the need (bladder full). Without the catheter - he needs to be monitored closely to be certain that he's both Drinking AND Eliminating urine. If he plugs up without the catheter to drain his bladder - when the bladder becomes full, the kidneys will stop producing urine (no where for it to go) and the toxins will build up in the kidneys = Red Flag urgent medical emergency.

Boots had a catheter twice (and came home for three or four days with it IN) - No problem producing & eliminating urine while it was IN - but he started plugging up a few days after it was removed. Luckily I caught him straining to urinate each time he plugged - and rushed him back to the Vet to be re-cathetered. Twice was enough - the Vet said he was probably going to plug up again - and we scheduled the operation immediately.

Summary: If he doesn't Have the catheter IN now - YOU guys need to be monitoring him very closely...
    He could plug up while you're waiting for his hospital appointment.

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Thanks Phred, I know that there's a risk he'll block up again. This is the third time he had a catheter put up and been flushed - twice at our own vet and once in the hospital. The shortest period of time it took him to block up again has been 2 months. However he has been showing signs that he would in between, but went back to peeing anyway, after I gave him half a "Romefen" (painkiller)

He had the cahteter put in and removed after a few hours each time. He was not bleeding the other two times, so we nearly panicked last night. We called the emergency vets at the hospital, but they said there was no immediate danger. This morning I rang both vet hospitals in CPH. and also our own vet. They all said not to worry for his life. However, we've booked him at this coming wednesday at 9.40 for the operation. We can't go on like this any longer! If he don't have the operation it's a matter of time when he will block up again.

There's also some good news! He has eaten, peed and pooped like normal and during the night he was drinking half a glass of water (almost as usual) At the moment, he's lying on John's stomack in bed purring away and looking like he's in heaven!! He has even been up in the windowsill! When I was cooking dinner (no, not clams!) he came out in the kitchen - and would you believe it, he looked very intensely at the door leading down to the yard! NO WAY mister Fister!!

We would like to thank you all again for this wonderful support - it has been truly heartwarming!

How is Boots doing??? We hope he's feeling great!!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I'm so glad Fister has made up with his daddy. I'm sure that alone makes everyone feel better. Prayers will continue until he is through his operation and 100% better.

I'm so glad that Fister is doing much better. I'm sorry that he has to be operated on but I know that since he's had so many problems that this is really the only other alternative. I'll be praying for him. Good luck.

glad that Fister is doing better!

I know I'm real late to this thread, but I'm soooo glad Mr. Fister is doing better now. Sounds like he really had a rough time of it this time, and it does sound like it's only a matter of time before he needs the surgery, so might as well get it over with. It was so hard to see that picture of him under the wardrobe/bed (?) when he wasn't looking happy. He just doesn't look like the same Fister we saw a few weeks ago daring someone to put a leash on him to let him outside (when he was flexing his claws). Poor Fister.

I won't be able to post all next week, but I just wanted to let you know that we'll be thinking of him during and after his surgery. He's such a favorite here on PT that it would be devastating to lose him, so we'll be adding our thoughts and prayers to everyone else's so he makes it through in one piece....errr..well...maybe with a few small pieces missing.

Please give him some extra scritchies from me, and head bumpies and nose kisses from Tubby and Peanut. And <hugs> for you and John too. It's just so hard on us when our furbabies aren't feeling well.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl