Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Remember me? (update: more bathroom news)

Remember me? (update: more bad news #74)

I know, it's been a while...

Would like to post more, but I haven't much to tell lately. Here's an update:

I'm still at home, still on sick leave. My back is better after the surgery, but I'm still dealing with the effects of my various diseases (Hashimoto's, etc.), fatigue, depression, exhaustion and the lack of energy is the worst of all. There are many days when it's almost impossible to function at all, and I cannot see any perspectives for my future life, especially when it comes to ever get a job again. I will try to apply for a disability pension, but of course it's up to the authorities to decide. Whatever they'll decide, I'm facing a life in poverty, so there's not much to look forward to. I'm trying not to think about it all the time, but it's getting harder.

The exhaustion and inability to do anything leads to loneliness, I'm spending most of my days on my own. I never minded being alone, but lately, it's getting harder to bear. Of course there are Luna and Lily, and I can still talk to my friends on the phone, but I'm missing someone to hang out with, like I used to do when I was younger. Seems these things aren't possible these days since my friends live far away. On the other hand, it makes me tired and dizzy being around people, and it's getting worse.

Another thing that's weighing heavy on my mind is the fact that my bathroom needs to be retiled. Work will probably start next week, and I was told it would require one or two weeks of work... It's gonna be a real challenge to have all this mess and the dirt here, and the workers being here from 8 am till 8 pm... I will have no privacy at all! And I'll need to look after Luna and Lily all the time, keeping them out of the danger zone... I'm not looking forward to this at all! But there's no other choice, the old tiles (really ugly tiles from the 70s) are broken and some of them are falling off the walls now, and the worst thing is that the entire area around my tub is soaking wet, there were actually mushrooms growing between the tiles, I was so freaky! So this really needs to be done, but I'm not looking forward to the process at all!

I will keep you updated!

Kirsten
    Last edited by Kirsten; 02-07-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Hi Kirsten! Thanks for the update. Don't worry about being alone, you have PT! I can also feel for you trying to cope with a group of illnesses at one time. I have atrial fibrillation ( a heart condition), diabetes, essential tremors (a form of Parkinson's), and sleep apnea. I'm doing well in my assisted living facility here in Pennsylvania. I hope to hear some more posts from you, Kirsten!

Hi Kirsten!

I see your photos on your FB account now and then, and I hadn't realized you have not been posting on PT for a bit. Oops!

I am sorry you are "down in the dumps." Chronic illness is very tough, and depression is common. I wish there were some way I could come visit you regularly!

Part of it too, at least for me, when I don't feel well I want someone around to do the little things, "just get me a cuppa, please?" You know, so it magnifies the being alone time.

The bathroom job, yes it does sound as it HAS to be done, and you WILL enjoy it! The best thing is, you KNOW the work / mess / noise will END, it is not a forever thing. Hold on to that thought, lol. Can you put the kitties in your bedroom for the 2 weeks? Move their food and water dishes, and litter box in there? Oh and few toys as well.

I've done a few projects here at my home, and the safety of the cats has always been a priority, I make it clear to the workers, "If you see a cat, stop and CALL ME, I do NOT want them getting out or getting hurt." The guys have been understanding. I had to keep the cats in the cellar for the 2 weeks of redoing the floors here. They weren't happy about it, but they were safe, had all they needed. And I knew they were safe and it was for their best interests. So funny to see them come up the morning after all the work was done. Noses twitching this way and that, cautious slow steps, you could get a lot of fun photos at that point!

Sending you cyber hugs!

Kirsten, I'm sorry you're feeling down in the dumps. It WILL get better!

I sent you a PM.

((((hugs))))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

We have missed you, glad you are back posting, even if it isn't great news. We are sorry you are feeling lonely, we are here for you! If we could be closer, we would, promise!

Do you at least get to pick pretty tiles for the new bathroom? That would be something positive to focus on, and the chance for a nice long soak in the renewed bathroom ... And chance you and the girls could visit your parents or someone while the work is being done, so it's less stressful for them and you, or do you need to be there while they work?
    I've Been Frosted

Hi Kirsten!

Glad to see a post from you. . .putting out prayers that your health will improve and you will start feeling better about things VERY soon.

Just wanted to share that I had my bathroom retiled this past week (just the tub area, the rest of the bathroom is painted) and although it was a bit inconvenient, it is now BEAUTIFUL and I can't wait to get in there and repaint etc. You will feel rejuvenated. One of the walls was wet as well because whoever tiled before didn't do such a great job, but now we know that our bathroom is well finished and we can enjoy how lovely the new tiles look. . .you will too! Hopefully it won't take them as long as they expect. . .

Much love
    Cathy and the FLock

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Thanks for your comments everyone, and your support!

David, I'm sorry you have to deal all these things, but I'm glad you found a good place to live, where you're feeling comfortable!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    The bathroom job, yes it does sound as it HAS to be done, and you WILL enjoy it! The best thing is, you KNOW the work / mess / noise will END, it is not a forever thing. Hold on to that thought, lol.
    Yes, I will try to keep that in mind. And yes, it really needs to be done, there is no other way. My landlord and I put this off for far too long, but the mushrooms were such an eye opener, it's so scary when you find these things growing over night! Yuck! Hopefully they don't have to remove too much of the tub's surroundings, that way, it would take much longer. And it will suck not to have a tub for such a long time!

Yes, I will keep the kitties in the living room or bed room most of the time, and I will also spend my days there, being with them. Their safety is the most important thing during the entire procedure!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Do you at least get to pick pretty tiles for the new bathroom? That would be something positive to focus on, and the chance for a nice long soak in the renewed bathroom ..
    Unfortunately not. I have to accept the cheapest offer, some cream-colored tiles. They wouldn't have been my choice, but after all, they are not so bad - and much better than the ones I have (beige and brown with an ugly pattern from the 70s)! I will add some color and decoration to the room, and I'm already building some new bathroom furniture. I think it will look nice in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Catherinedana
    One of the walls was wet as well because whoever tiled before didn't do such a great job, but now we know that our bathroom is well finished and we can enjoy how lovely the new tiles look.
    Same here. They once built my tub on wood (which they covered with tiles ), and now with the old, broken tiles, the wood got soaking wet, that way the mushrooms could grow. The entire wood construction needs to be removed and replaced by something else, and I hope that - once the tub and wood construction are removed - it won't turn out that the stone walls are wet, too. Don't even want to think about what that means!

I envy you for having it done already. Painting and decorating will be fun!

Oooh, but cream colored tiles will just be the perfect background to paint little designs on when they're done! If you use acrylic paint, the landlord can always peel it off if needed some day, or it can be scraped off easily ...
    I've Been Frosted

I remember both you and your beautiful photos. I'm sorry to learn you're not doing well. The new tiles is a good thing. Do you know you might have mold behind them? That can affect your health. I know it will be very stressful. Is there one room where you and the kitties can stay? You could come out when needed and it would cut down the stress on the kitties. Even though your friends are far away, could they ever visit? Do they know how you're doing now? I'm sure they'd be there for you if they knew. I'm really sorry things are so bleak. I hope your life gets some sunshine soon.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Well, the tiles won't reach the ceiling, so above them, there's some of the wall left. I have planned to paint that wall terracotta-colored, with a border of golden ornaments. Will post pictures of it, once it's done, but it's a long road to go...

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    Do you know you might have mold behind them? That can affect your health.
    Yes, there is mold also, and I'm really worrying about that!

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    Even though your friends are far away, could they ever visit? Do they know how you're doing now?
    Yes, they know how I'm doing, but they're too far away and too busy to visit. At least we can talk on the phone.

...and did you ever post that one photo in your mom and Reinhardt's restaurant?

Do animal shelters and other organizations there have fund-raising activities and events? You could sell several prints of your kitty photos there, and give the event a percentage...and keep enough for yourself to cover your costs.

On the depression side - my doctor has advised me to get a High Density light. Apparently these new lights - I think they are LED - produce the full spectrum light that is used to help depression and SADD (seasonal affective disorder, which happens when the days get shorter).

Hope you feel better soon. And with your talent - there is every reason you can be less poor than you fear.

{{{{hugs}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    On the depression side - my doctor has advised me to get a High Density light. Apparently these new lights - I think they are LED - produce the full spectrum light that is used to help depression and SADD (seasonal affective disorder, which happens when the days get shorter).

I looked into those lights once some time ago and they were really expensive! I got some new lights for our garage that are 'Daylight' balanced. The guy at the store mentioned that they had a lot of customers that bought them for using for SAD disorder. I do notice that I 'feel' a bit perkier when I'm in the garage now. Might be worth a try since they are cheaper.

Lowes Daylight Balanced Fluorescent Bulbs

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Yes, they are getting less and less expensive as more and more are manufactured. OTT makes a light that looks like a desklamp - it sells for $49.95 CDN here.

Will try one next paycheck. :-)
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hi Kirsten, glad to see you posting again. I was wondering where you disappeared to. You mentioned mold, well mold is mold but have it checked and find out if it's black mold. If it is black mold you should make sure you get every trace of it out from behind your wall as this might be a big part of your health problems, it can even cause some neuro problems. In any case a new bathroom sounds like that will be cheery once it's done.
    Sorry you're so lonely, don't forget you still have that good friend,,,your camera....those pictures you post are just awesome. Some magazine or art gallery will pick up on them if you're persistent.
    Hope you start feeling better soon, your kitties are always there for you as well as PT.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----