Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drinking out of the bathroom faucet *Update 8/9*

Drinking out of the bathroom faucet *Update 8/9*

Ok, you all know the trials and tribulations that my Puddy girl has had so I won't go into that but this drinking out of the faucet has me stumped. If it was just a little quirk, I could deal w/it but she absolutely refuses to drink out of her fountain or water dish. She'll wait for hours until I come home, then is frantic to drink out of the faucet. I bought a drip bottle for gerbils yesterday and attached it to her carrier thinking that she might like it. I tried to teach her how to drink out of it, which she should be able to do w/no problem, because she likes to lick the faucet but either she doesn't understand what I'm trying to teach her or she's being stubborn because she won't go near it and turns her head away when I try to teach her. She's keeping me up most of the night because she can't reach the faucet on her own, can't jump up on a small step ladder any more because she's too weak. Any suggestions? Have you had this experience w/any of your CRF cats?
    Last edited by Medusa; 08-09-2008 at 07:10 AM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I know it sounds insane, but alot of cats won't drink from anything but a dripping faucet. Have you tried a cat fountain?? I have a PetMate I can send you. I wound up getting my cats a Drinkwell fountain and they love it. I'll be happy to send it to you. Let me know.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanx, Donna. I have two Petmate fountains; Puddy has her own but it's just since the anemia that she's decided that she'll only drink from the bathroom faucet. I'm hoping that she may drink from my feng shui fountain because it drips more and sounds somewhat like a running faucet. (I moved it to the enclosed patio because the sound made me want to go to the bathroom all the time. LOL) I just this morning moved it to her room, hopeful that she'll drink out of it and stop the crying to be lifted to the bathroom faucet.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I'm wondering if there is a connection to her anemia and if she is seeking out 'iron'. Maybe from minerals in the water itself or from the faucet metal? It could be the combination of the water coming right from the tap that smells more like iron than when it's sitting in her bowl or in the gerbil water dispenser. I've heard of cats licking certain things when they are depleted of something in their bodies and maybe this is what it's about. This may not help one bit but you could try and find an iron cooking pot or pan and fill it with the tap water and place it near her.

If that doesn't work, could you create a ramp up to the sink? It might not be as challenging as a step ladder for her as long as it's not too steep.

Praying that Puddy begins to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    I'm wondering if there is a connection to her anemia and if she is seeking out 'iron'. Maybe from minerals in the water itself or from the faucet metal? It could be the combination of the water coming right from the tap that smells more like iron than when it's sitting in her bowl or in the gerbil water dispenser. I've heard of cats licking certain things when they are depleted of something in their bodies and maybe this is what it's about. This may not help one bit but you could try and find an iron cooking pot or pan and fill it with the tap water and place it near her.

If that doesn't work, could you create a ramp up to the sink? It might not be as challenging as a step ladder for her as long as it's not too steep.

Praying that Puddy begins to get better.
    She got an iron shot when she was at the vet's a week ago and Dr. Lee said to give her one every 3 weeks. He's of the opinion that iron supplements are a waste of time, so I figure the shots should do the trick for her.

I'm going to go to the pet store and see if they have those carpeted steps that I see advertised on TV. She's just not sure-footed any more and she has no confidence in herself to jump up at all plus I think the anemia has weakened her so that she just doesn't have the energy but maybe the steps will help.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Just got home from Pet Supplies Plus; put the steps in the bathroom and put her on them. She was kinda shaky but she went up the steps and into the sink. Let's hope she can do it tonight when it really counts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Queen Puddy.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	40003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Puddy rules the sink.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	40004  
    Blessings,
    Mary

Mary, no matter what else is going on in your life, you sure do have a clean bathroom! I enjoyed the picture of Her Royal Puddy-ness at your (her) sink.

I hope Puddy figures out either the new fountain, the new stairs, or both really soon; you definitely deserve a break!

Hope you have a restful weekend!

Hugs,
    Diana
    There aren't too many bad spots that can't be made at least a little better by either a nap, a cat, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaducky View Post
    Mary, no matter what else is going on in your life, you sure do have a clean bathroom! I enjoyed the picture of Her Royal Puddy-ness at your (her) sink.

I hope Puddy figures out either the new fountain, the new stairs, or both really soon; you definitely deserve a break!

Hope you have a restful weekend!

Hugs,
    Diana
    Well, it's just the Fur Posse and I so I really have no excuse for a dirty bathroom. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Pudwah will use the steps to the faucet. My house definitely is looking like a crazy cat lady lives here. Steps that lead to the sink, table fountains on the floor, iron skillets in the bedroom, good grief! Ah well, she's worth it; all my Fur Posse are. (I wouldn't do half as much for a man, except for my son. LOL) As for the restful weekend, HA! I'm going to watch the Olympics tonight and maybe catch some shut-eye on the sofa. Boy, I really live on the edge, don't I?
    Blessings,
    Mary

LOL! Too funny!

I'm glad you are giving the crazy iron skillet idea a try though. I wasn't really thinking of it helping her add iron to her system but that it might help her drink somewhere other than the sink if she is possibly interested in the minerals.

I'm picturing your set up with the ramp and the gerbil thing and the skillet and while it is funny, it sure does show how much you love that girl!

Kylie does this as well tho I think that she does drink when I am gone from the bowl.
    I just let her do it- she doesn't seem to bother me for it at night either. Just when I'm in the bathroom.
    She doesn't have CRF altho that's never far from my mind the older she gets. Puddy is gorgeous. Gentle scritches from me.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

*Update 8/9*

She's mastered the little staircase w/no problem but she still wakes me up. It's as though she wants me to watch her walk up, so I'm still not getting much sleep. This cat is messing w/my head.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I swear, doesn't it feel as though we're dealing with newborns and toddlers all over again with these critters...?
    There aren't too many bad spots that can't be made at least a little better by either a nap, a cat, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaducky View Post
    I swear, doesn't it feel as though we're dealing with newborns and toddlers all over again with these critters...?

HA! I never would've put up w/this stuff w/my son. LOL Actually, I think that sometimes it's easier raising a child than a calico. She'll sit at the bottom of the staircase and meow incessantly until I get up. As soon as I walk into the bathroom, she scampers up the stairs to the faucet. She must be feeling a little better, though, because around 4:00 AM, she got into bed w/me and pushed her head into my hand, indicating that she wanted a noggin noogie. She hasn't wanted to even be touched lately; she's been such a hermit. I decided this morning that I'm not putting her back into her room. I want to see if she'll go out onto the patio and get some sun, which she usually loves but instead she ran downstairs into the basement and into one of the carriers. Guess she's just not feeling up to it yet. I gave her the second injection of Epogen yesterday and I'm sure hoping that it's going to do the trick.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    [QUOTE She'll sit at the bottom of the staircase and meow incessantly until I get up. As soon as I walk into the bathroom, she scampers up the stairs to the faucet. [/QUOTE]

That little stinker - wakiing you up when she can get up the steps by herself. Maybe she's assuming the roll of drama queen now and wrapping her Mom around her little paw. Sounds like she is feeling a little better anyway - that's good news.

Water Fascination

Hi Mary-i Am Glad That Your Princess Is Making Progress. Oftenmy Cats Progress While I Degress!! It Is My Experience That Most Cats Prefer Nursing The Faucet Rather Than Their Own Waterdish. The Reason I Have Heard Is The Movement Of The Drops Or Slow Stream Is Fascinating. The Fountains Are A Great Idea And I Have Yet To Actually Purchase One For My Sammy And Pepper. The Mentioning Of The Iron And Needed Minerals Of The Piprs Do Make Alot Of Sense Too. Ha Ha I Am 49 And The Bio-bomb (biological Clock) Has Seased And Yet My Cats Have Been My Kids. He22 Yeah!!! I Would Do So Much More For One Of These Cats Than For A New Mate. Toooomuch Drraammmaa That! Ok-i Just Wanted To "spout" Off----ooooohhh Nnnnoo I Didn't Just Type That~ See Ya Susanswatlin518