Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you tried whispering to your cat?

Have you tried whispering to your cat?

Just now, Fister was standing in window sill looking out in darkness - all quiet out there. I came up and put my hand around his chest so he didn't get too cold and whispered to him - asking if was seeing any other cats out there etc. It was really funny to see how his ears were sticking up, listening!

If I talk to him in a normal tone, he hardly ever listen!

Now, he is racing around, trying to get our attention, I'm sure - or trying to get us come to bed for a cuddle! --- We will!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

After Cassy ate the dianthus (small flower of the carnation family -- poisonous for felines) the emergency vets had me whisper to him to verify that he wasn't slipping into lethargy.

Apparently a sleeping cat's ears will swivle when you whisper to him/her, but a lethargic cat's ears won't. So after we got off the phone I was to whisper to him at 15 minute intervals and to rub his tummy and paws to check for soreness at hourly intervals for the next 4 hours. Cassy seemed to enjoy the attention, and turned out to be fine.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Wispering?

Have to try it
    I like to speek to them on a low soft voice and say sweet silly things asking how was its day and stuff like that and they seem to like it too because they listen.

Just now, Fister was standing in window sill looking out in darkness - all quiet out there. I came up and put my hand around his chest so he didn't get too cold and whispered to him - asking if was seeing any other cats out there etc. It was really funny to see how his ears were sticking up, listening!
    A such a tender picture !!! I wish I could stand behind the door looking at the scene
    I'm pretty sure that the word CAT alerted him.
    Ahh,Fister, never tired of you ....

Ahhh the cat whisperer.....

I like to whisper to my kitties, I tell them all my secrets cause I know they'll never tell....
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I whisper to Bastet all the time - but she purrs so loud I am sure it gets drowned out!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

We whisper to Tigris and Filou -I am somehow sure they understand that better than talking and they like it even when they are asleep

I whisper more to Tubby than I do to Peanut, but that is mostly because Tubby is such a snuggler and he is more likely to be in a position for me to whisper to him. I can't say as I've ever noticed any kind of reaction to the whispering, but that's probably because at the same time he's snuggled on top of me, purring so loud Terry can hear him across the room, and I'm petting and scratching his head (which he loves) so there's a lot going on besides the whispering.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

We do that very often, especially my brother does it and Juni is all his.
    Once it was really funny. Juni knows that she's not supposed to stick her paw in our tea trying to steal the lemon. She does it occasionally, but not when we can see her. One evening my brother after finishing his tea, started whispering to her, calling her and telling her to take out the bit of lemon, all this accompanied with gestures like - come and take it. She came closer, looking at him, not taking it on trust, but, after a minute or so, she decided to do it. My brother said - nooo with loud voice and she withdrew the paw very quickly, very funny. The look on her face was - Ok, you had me this time, but I'll pay you back!

With Edwina we can be talking to each other while she is asleep and nothing. But if one of us says something to her...with or without saying her name...she seems to know and moves her tail in acknowledgement....

Sometimes when she is sitting in her window at night looking out at the dark I'll look with her (I see nothing moving.) I ask her what she sees and she says.."Nee alp." I wish I could know the meaning of that!

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    Sometimes when she is sitting in her window at night looking out at the dark I'll look with her (I see nothing moving.) I ask her what she sees and she says.."Nee alp." I wish I could know the meaning of that!
    Nee alp - LOL, LOL . I wish I could know too.

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    With Edwina we can be talking to each other while she is asleep and nothing. But if one of us says something to her...with or without saying her name...she seems to know and moves her tail in acknowledgement....
    Same here with Tubby, and even if we say something about him, not even to him or without his name, he still knows and he too will acknowledge with a flip of the tail. It's kind of a like a kid who is eaves dropping.

And if you ever find out what "nee alp" means, please let me know.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

My cat Maya Linn always sits on the bathroom rug while I'm showering. When I get out, she sits there with her back to me. I whisper to her (I KNOW she hears me cuz her ears swivel to where I'm talking from) and she ignores me!!!! They're no dummies.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Nakita doesn't like whispering, she thinks it's evil!

If she is sitting beside the computer and i'll whisper something, she'll come right up to my face and give me almost a stunned "What was that?" look!

It's really funny and if I keep whispering she gets fed up and runs away!

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

I whisper, and know they are paying attention because of the ear swivel. I also tell them all my secrets, and talk baby talk to them, and they know when it is to them as opposed to one of the others. I also whisper to them when I hold them...who wants me talking in a normal voice when my mouth is buried in their neck anyhow?

Isn't this a fun thread? Mr. Rascal spends a lot of time on my bed, so it is perfect to just lean over and whisper into his ear. I tell him how wonderful he is, how beautiful he is, and how lucky I am to have him in my life. Sometimes my whispering tickles his ear.

How I do love this boy!