Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lilly can't jump

Lilly can't jump

I've posed this question to Carrie in an e-mail, but maybe someone else might have an answer. Lilly is an 85 pound, 1 year old, female Golden Retriever. She is the sweetest, most loving dog, and not nearly as active as her sister, Honey. Honey is as agile as a deer and can leap up four foot walls (our back yard is terraced), jump on the bed, in the car, etc. Lilly either can't or won't do it. I have never seen her jump!! Whereas Honey will leap up or down the wall in the backyard to save time, Lilly always uses the steps. She just strains to climb on the bed or couch and usually can't do that. I don't think it is medically related as she doesn't exhibit any kind of hip or leg problems.
    Can I teach her how to jump? Do I want to teach her how to jump? Ha Ha! It would be nice if she could get into the back of my Jeep so I wouldn't have to pick her up. I'm too old and she's too heavy!
    OK guys, figure this one out for me. All answers are welcome.

lhg0962:
    I also have a 70lb. Golden Retriever who does not jump, unlike my previous one who could jump like a mountain goat. Carina also needs help to get in the car or my bed.She does not have any medical problems. I think her problem is that she is just lazy and that may be the reason why yours doesn't jump either. You can teach a Golden many tricks but I don't think you can teach her how to jump, it's so much more fun to be helped

Has she been thoughroughly checked for hip problems by a vet? If there are no signs of hip displasia, or some other physical reason, then you have to work on motivation! DON"T help her onto the couch, or pick her up into the jeep. Pick a day when you don't have to be anywhere at a particular time, and try treats to lure her into the jeep of her own. By helping her, or picking her up, you're just encouraging her laziness! What would you rather do - work or be cuddled?

If she is struggling with the jeep too much, and really seems physically incapable You might try an "step" - just a sturdy but not to heavy box or something,. It should be big enough to help, but small enough to toss into the back of the jeep and stay there.

As far as we know, and the vet has checked her thoroughly, she has no hip problems. She is very fast when she makes up her mind to run. I think she is a bit lazy and dependent on her mom probably. I may try to make her a low obstacle course I can take her through on the leash to see if she can jump over low things first. I'll have to lure her with a treat, but that usually works. The step might be a great idea for the car though.
    Thanks everyone. Keep those great ideas coming.

I never mean to offend, but it would seem to me that 85 pounds is a bit heavy for a one-year-old dog unless she is really big-boned. Perhaps a bit of weight loss? You have a very good idea about starting her on low jumps; does she chase balls? It might be easier to teach her if she can chase her favorite toy over a low jump set so she has no choice but to go over. Just don't make it too low that she can just walk over it. We combine commands with our dogs, such as "come up" to get them to jump up into the car (although getting into the car is NEVER a problem -- getting them OUT is more difficult) . I'm not sure if she's lazy, but perhaps has never felt the need to jump -- so long as there is another way, so teaching her that it's fun and a great Mommy pleaser might give her more reason to do it.

You are not wrong to mention her weight. I talked with my vet about it and he feels she is ok, as long as she doesn't gain much more. Her mother is the same weight as she is. Lilly will be two in April, so I guess she is full grown.
    She is actually "trying" a little harder to get places she needs and wants to be. Mostly climbing, but we will continue to try and work with the jumping so she can learn the technique. Honey, her sister, on the other hand, is almost like a deer!

I thought I would update you on Lilly. The more I read your replies and watched her limp after lying down, and strain to climb up on things, but NEVER jump, I decided to make an appointment with the veterinarian to check her out. We went today. Last time he and I discussed this, she was much younger and we both felt she might just still be having "growing pains". He was very concerned about her today when I described how inactive Lilly is and how she limps after lying still for a while, plus the fact that she can't/won't jump. He immediately said, "she is in pain". At 1 1/2 years old, she's too old now for this to be attributed to growing. Anyway, after relaxing her a bit, he x-rayed her hips and she does indeed have mild, but not severe dysplasia. He said he definitely could see why she is feeling some pain. He has put her on 600mg of Etodotac per day for pain. He will check in again on Friday to see if this is helping her. He said she will probably never be an extremely energetic dog and the pain could possibly increase as she gets older. But he feels we can medicate her as necessary. We will take each day and watch how she progresses. She is a wonderful animal and so loving and neither my vet nor I want her to hurt. He said it is not bad enough for surgery and that I probably need to get used to lifting her into the back of that Jeep because she will probably never want to jump. She weighed in at 82 pounds today and he is ok with that as long as she doesn't gain anymore. I think I mentioned before that her mother weighs 85. They are large Golden Retrievers (at least for females).
    I'm so sad for Lilly, but at least glad I followed through and maybe now she can be more comfortable. She's going to get one of those cool Orvis beds for Christmas just because she is such a good dog!

PS. I forgot to tell you that the medication is $3.00 per day! I sure do love that dog!

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited November 29, 2000).]

Oh Logan! Poor sweet Lilly! I know the concern and pain you're going through too! Cody has had dysplasia for years and watching how slowly he gets up and how I can hear him lumbering up and down the steps breaks my heart. I give him 2 Cosequin capsules a day (glucosemin)(I'm suppose to take the human form but money wise- Cody comes first, he gets it, I don't!) and Maalox coated aspirin when needed. I used to give him an anti-inflammatory until I learned of it's liver damage after prolonged use so that's a last resort. He also developed arthritis in his 2 front paws to a varing degree so I just want to cry. I give him a full gentle body massage and have even put a hot water bottle (warm and wrapped in a towel) on his hips and he doesn't object.
    Some days he walks over a mile, some days 1/2 a block. No more ball chasing or jumping. All I can do is pray he doesn't suffer, I don't think he's in pain, just uncomfortable. He never yelps or whines, so that's a guess. He's such a good boy. Of course he's going to be 9 on Dec 2, but he did have symptoms at around 2 yrs. The surprising thing is that he jumps on the bed easily. I swear I'd trade 10 yrs of my own life as long as he doesn't suffer and remains happy and healthy. Poor sweet Lilly.
    I think she'll be okay for a long while yet until she needs surgery. How's Honey?

Hi Karen..
    Honey is fine! She is a deer pretending to be a dog. She will begin her one on one obedience training after Christmas and I am looking so forward to it. My vet agreed yesterday that Honey will probably benefit from this. He said he had NEVER seen an agresseive female Golden Retriever before, especially one that had already been spayed. I just love both of them dearly, and by the way, I'm having copies of the wonderful picture made today and will put one in the mail to you so you can tell me how pretty my girls are!
    Thanks for the sweet words for Lilly. She is the dearest dog.

Logan,

I'm at work now, can't give a long reply, but I had a dog with that too, and she lived happily for 10 years. She died of cancer. E-mail me if you want more details, I'll reply when I get home from work.

Twenty-five or so years ago, my GSD had the hip dysplasia surgery and he lived to be 10 at which he died of a heart-attack. Good luck with your baby.

------------------
    ***Save a life, ADOPT***

I am glad the vet was willing to reevaluate Lilly because now there may be some relief for her symptoms. In the final analysis, it doesn't matter whether she can jump but that she is not in pain and can be as active as possible. Your participation in Pet Talk was a catalyst to your instinctive concern for her. Sometimes its not just the advice we get here but the oportunity to vent our feelings and thoughts with a receptive audience that helps us come to some definitive decisions. I'm so sorry that Lilly has hip dysplasia (that is a real bummer) but I am glad that she will have the medical help she needs in dealing with it.

You are so right, Rachel. Every one of you has some part in my decision to go get her checked again!!! Lilly's disposition is such that you just wouldn't know that she is in pain. She just puts that lovely head in your lap and stares at you as if to say, "I'll do anything for you". Honey is sweet, but Lilly takes the cake. I'll do as much as I can to keep her comfortable. Even my daughter is giving her a little more attention and sympathy after knowing now that she has been hurting. Helen is very partial to Honey (as Honey was Helen's 8th birthday present), and Lilly is MY dog!

Sometimes it is good just to KNOW. A dog with dysplasia is not a good thing, but now you know why she wouldn't jump and can do something about it. I'm sorry to hear that is her problem, but I'm glad you know and can do for her. Keep us posted on how she gets on, please.

Ktreva, I think you and Carrie are running neck to neck in the "wisdom" catagory. I am enjoying your responses so much.
    Lilly is fine. Can you believe that I have already noticed a difference with her in just three days? She is actually more energetic. I hope Dr. Robinson is right and she is a "mild" case of dysplasia and that she continues to respond to medication and lives a happy, comfortable life.
    I left a little while ago to pick my daughter up from school, and asked our "timid" Honey to ride with me (on leash, of course). The Federal Express lady met us at the door with her dog treats in hand...isn't that terrific? Lilly took off out the door after her and as soon as I said "Lilly, come", she sat right down in front of me and then let me help her in the car. Obviously, both of them got to ride to school. Hopefully, Honey will be as obedient in a couple of months. Right now, I would never allow her out of the front door without her leash.
    Somewhere in my heart, I just know Lilly will be fine. I also know what a sucker I am for any pet and I will make sure to do anything in my power to keep her comfortable. After my battle with Kaycee and her conjestive heart failure for 11 months, I realized that I had spent over $3,000 in US dollars on medication and treatment for her. That is a lot of money by my standards, but every single dime was worth it.