Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A scary electronic fence incident

A scary electronic fence incident

This morning on my way to work there was a yellow lab in the middle of the road on a busy road. Someone before me almost hit the dog, I slowed way down but the dog dashed right back into the road, I laid on the horn & still almost hit him. He kept running back & forth in the road. So I pulled over to try to help him. As I did so he was almost hit 2 more times. I finally got a hold of the happy but nervous dog. Must be the people in the house heard me lay on the horn as they came out of the house. Come to find out it was their dog. They have an electronic fence, the dog bolted out & was too afraid to come back into his yard in fear he'd get shocked again. Which explains why he was frantically running back & forth in the road in front of his home.

I hate those electronic fences, for this & many other reasons. This could of been a tragedy.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Oh how horrible! I don't trust those things, although my sister-in-law swears by hers. I prefer our regular fence, then I don't have to worry.

Poor thing Good thing you were there to help!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Poor Dog , I hope they do something else as they can see what this can lead to..

I always wondered if that would happen to a dog. I'm glad he got back home but they do need to figure something out to keep him contained.

Electronic Fences

Oh boy do I hate electronic fences. I always have. The person that lived in this house before me had an electric fence, and he had 5 Irish Setters, they are shown by him. And one time he had a collar that reacts to the fence on one of the Setter's pups! And of course, not knowing better, the pup passed the fence, and he stopped right in the middle of the zone, and kept getting shocked, and I just couldnt stand it I ran over and got him out of there. He could've died if he would've stayed there. The poor puppy I still flinch when I think of it. I just HATE electronic fences for that reason, this reason, and many more.
    My Dogs

Eli - No picture
    Baybe - No Picture

My Girrlfriend's Dogs
    Sammy When She Was A Pup And Living At Her Breeder's

And here is 9 month old Titan

poor dog! i hope his owners learned from this and decide to get rid of the electric fence.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Poor dog!

My neighbors who live about 1/2 mile away, (I live out in the country) supposedly had on of those, and his dogs would always get out, but never go back into the yard, so they came to my house. They were really fun to have around, 3 labbies, 2 pups nad the mom, and they would come over like every other day, and we would just call up the neighbors nad tell them and their kids would drive over and pick them up. ANYWAYS, finally after a while, we call the police and told them that these dogs kept coming over to our house, and all the oficer said was, I have more problems than this, bring them bakc to the guys house YOURSELF, and tie them up Finally the guy just brought them to the HS and they got new homes (together as a family) but they were really sweet dogs.
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

Poor dog I, too, hate electronic fences!

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Poor dog ... I don't understand why they have electric fences, knowing that they can be so dangerous...
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

I can see where they'd be more in handy like.. NOT NEXT TO A MAJOR ROAD. Waht were they THINKING? It's this reason (and the high price) why I wouldn't get one! Even if Charlie gets himself tied up around EVERYTHING in his tie out, I can rest assured he is within my eyesight at all times and nowhere near the street!

facebook

That's what happened to my Sister's Labs. They learned to go through it but would never come back because of the shock. They could take the shock going out because it meant freedom to roam, but coming back in they said "no way".

My Sister & her husband finally took the invisible fencing down.

Grrrrr...I HATE electric fences. They're no substitute for a good, solid fence. Especially by a road!

I'm glad you were there and stopped to help the dog. I can imagine he
    was pretty stressed by the whole experience. I dislike electronic fences.
    They also don't stop other dogs from entering your property.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't like e-fences either. Where I used to live, I would walk my dogs up this one street that had two black labs on an e-fence. The only problem was that #1, one of the labs was fairly aggressive, and #2 the lady constantly forgot to turn on the fence. They had several incidents where people couldn't get to their cars, houses, etc because the dog would be standing there snarling and barking at them. I'm not sure what happened to the dogs after we left.