Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prong collars?

Prong collars?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on prong collars. Our trainer recommended one for Roscoe, and it has been working wonders! Anyone else ever use one?

I was told to get a prong collar for Sierra because she pulled so hard when I tried to walk her and she's so BULL HEADED!!!!!
    But I just couldn't stand the though of those prongs on my little baby girl's neck!
    So I did something better. I made it my mission in life to teach her how to walk on a leash with out pulling!!!
    It took a lot of time, and she's still no angel but she much better!
    Dog behaviorists will tell you to use what ever tool helps in order to get and keep their attention. If it works, then great! Just make sure you are not doing any damage! Sometimes dogs will be so "Locked In" on something and will be pulling and pulling trying to get at whatever it is, and it wont' even faze them that the prongs are digging into their necks! That's when damage can be done. You could always get the rubber caps that you can put on the ends to make it a little less intense.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

All training collars must be used properly for the safety of the animal and to accomplish desired results.

With that said prong collars are awesome. I actually like prongs better than choke collars. They distribute the pressure more evenly therefore eliminating potential injuries with the dogs throat/trachea & area. Chokes are commonly known to cause damage to your dogs throat area.

They also now make plastic prong collars too. They are supposed to be a little easier on your dog for "soft" dogs or very short thin haired dogs.

The martingale collar is awesome. Very similar to a choke but again it distributes the pressure more evenly.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I'm okay with them as long as they are used properly. I didn't really think I was using it correctly with Finn, so, I took it off of him after only a couple of days. But, I will say that I tested one at the pet store on my own leg, and, it didn't hurt at all! I figured if it didn't hurt on my bare skin, it wouldn't hurt Finn, either. And, he wasn't bothered by it at all. I tried the chain collar (choke collar) on my leg, too, and, was bruised for about a week. That sucked, so, I'll never use one of those. If I was trained properly on how to use the prong collar, I'd use one again, if it was necessary.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    I will say that I tested one at the pet store on my own leg, and, it didn't hurt at all! I figured if it didn't hurt on my bare skin, it wouldn't hurt Finn, either. And, he wasn't bothered by it at all. I tried the chain collar (choke collar) on my leg, too, and, was bruised for about a week.
    LOL! I thought I was the only fool who did that!

I use a prong collar on Kayleigh occasionally, usually when we are going somewhere like the vet clinic, where she's likely to be anxious to start with and then exposed to a bunch of strange animals. Kayleigh has a very high prey drive and is aggressive to other dogs. The prong makes it easier to control her in those situations. On a regular walk, she doesn't need one anymore.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    LOL! I thought I was the only fool who did that!
    ha ha, nah...i can be pretty foolish, too. glad i'm not alone.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Our trainer worked with us on how to use it properly. We have been having some behavioral problems with Roscoe (he was not neutered until he was a little over 3 years old, so our trainer thinks that has something to do with it ). I can't believe how much better he is on it. We only put it on him for training and walks, all other times just his regular collar is on.

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    ha ha, nah...i can be pretty foolish, too. glad i'm not alone.
    Nope, neither of you are alone. lol, I've done that too, with all types of collars. Of course I test most things that I use/feed to my dogs. (insert blushing face here)
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    Nope, neither of you are alone. lol, I've done that too, with all types of collars. Of course I test most things that I use/feed to my dogs. (insert blushing face here)
    I've done it to. At least I'm not alone.

I use a prong on Nikka and Hunter. Hunter actually doesn't need one anymore, but Nikka will pull if she's not wearing hers. I tried everthing from harness, gentle leader, collar, choke (she about killed herself on that), etc., finally a trainer recommended a prong and I can finally walk her w/o getting a soar arm from her pulling

I use a prong collar on Boomer. I think they're absolutely great for initial training, then I find that you can slowly shed the use of it, versus a halti or a choke chain.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    They also now make plastic prong collars too. They are supposed to be a little easier on your dog for "soft" dogs or very short thin haired dogs.
    I've seen those-it's like triangle pieces put together, right?

I used one on Roxey when she was young and it worked wonders. After just a few lessons she was great. I do use a choker when we go out for walks because if she decided she REALLY wanted something she could slip right out of her regular collar.

I use one on Bon now because he is such a big boy and a lot to handle. I feel much more in control. I've thought of trying a martingale collar but I'm not sure where I could get one to slide over his big ol' head

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Quote Originally Posted by anna_66
    I used one on Roxey when she was young and it worked wonders. After just a few lessons she was great. I do use a choker when we go out for walks because if she decided she REALLY wanted something she could slip right out of her regular collar.

I use one on Bon now because he is such a big boy and a lot to handle. I feel much more in control. I've thought of trying a martingale collar but I'm not sure where I could get one to slide over his big ol' head
    Some of the martingale collars have snaps, so you can adjust it to size & snap it on around the neck like a regular collar instead of putting it over the dogs head.

I also tried everything with Mika, she's totally impossible on a leash if there's another dog in sight. The prong has been the most successful, followed by the Premier easy walk harness http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74, which works so much better than any other harnesses I tried. Her prong is only used when she's on a walk at home, when we go to the dog park she has her martingale, at home she has the breakaway collar because she and Chloe are always dragging each other around by the collar! http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74

The breakaway is great, except when you need to hold them for some reason, then it's a disaster. Or when Chloe runs away and we need to catch her--it has to be a body block rather than grabbing the collar, which would just snap off in our hands!

Quote Originally Posted by areias
    I use a prong collar on Boomer. I think they're absolutely great for initial training, then I find that you can slowly shed the use of it, versus a halti or a choke chain.

I've seen those-it's like triangle pieces put together, right?
    Yeah! I tried finding a pic for you but I couldn't.

They are hard to find..here we go.
    http://www.pooch.ca/item1145.htm

I was curious how this one works? I can't decide if it dosen't look effective or way too harsh...lol.
    http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-col...ng-collar.html