Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this bother anyone else?

Does this bother anyone else?

We followed this guy for quite a while on our way to go camping. I felt so bad for the dog.....he was not secured in there at all, just look at the picture. There was all sorts of junk in there, not even a decent place to sit not to mention there's not even a back to stop him from sliding out! He kept pacing the entire time, looked so upset and nervous. I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I absolutely *hate* it when people let their dogs ride in the back of trucks. Secured in a crate, that is ok.....but just loose like that? One quick stop and they'd just fly right out! This was at least a 65 mph road too.

And here's a pic of my dogs during the ride just because they are cute

YES. It bothers me SO much. I've seen dogs ride on top of the large tool boxes some people have in the back of their trucks. WHY!?! would someone let ANYONE ride like that.

Something could fly into their eyes, they could jump out, they could ram against the side of the truck and break something. It's totally NOT safe. Not that riding inside the cab is completely safe but it's a lot more secure that riding in the bed of a truck.

Absolutely - it's something I am glad we never see around here. Our dogs rode in the back of Dad's pickup sometimes - when we kids were there, and it had a seat up against the cab of the truck, and a cap on the bed so none of us could fly out.

Dad did get a sliding window installed between the truck and the cap, which we referred to as "the woofle hole" becuase our St. Bernard Freckles delighted in sticking her head through (which filled the whole window) to woofle the ears of any front-seat passengers!

yes that bothers me too i absolutely hate it when people do that,especially when there not even tied on.
    but your kids look adorable!

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    Yup it bothers me, it's actually illgeal in Calgary for dogs to be riding loose like that in the back of trucks. If they are riding in the back they either need to be covered, in a kennel that is secured or tied up with a short enough rope that they can not reach the sides or the ends of the truck.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    It bothers me a lot, too. I try to avoid saying too much on the subject, though, just because at least those people want their dog with them. Eh, I will voice my opinion on it when asked, but, for the most part, it's one topic I don't devote too much energy into...I did, however, get into it the other day with someone on the subject of spay and neuter. That's one I won't soften my voice on. I try to choose my battles, or I'd be arguing all the time. It does make me really sad to see dogs in truck beds, though. But, again, at least they want their dog with them. Better than being left behind, but, still not as good as a safe ride for the dog.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Originally posted by Crikit
    Yup it bothers me, it's actually illgeal in Calgary for dogs to be riding loose like that in the back of trucks. If they are riding in the back they either need to be covered, in a kennel that is secured or tied up with a short enough rope that they can not reach the sides or the ends of the truck.
    I wish it was illegal here because I would totally report him...as far as I know it is not, I see dogs like that all the time. Usually it's labs, goldens, border collies, aussies.......hunting/working dogs, most not "family members" just kept for use only.

*edit: not saying that hunting/working dogs can't be family members just a lot of people around here don't think of them that way*

yes! i hate when people do that

i once saw a guy with 2 pitty puppies in the back of his truck, they were on his metal tool box, one sharp or even semi-sharp turn and those pups would have slided straight off into the rode

i always see people with dogs in the back of their trucks and they think there doing good by not leaving the dog at home or something, dogs are MUCH better off home alone then loose in the back of a pick up truck

I HATE it when I see dogs like that. UGH.

holy sh*t!!! that guy might as well throw his dog out a tower window!
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

that drives me INNSSAANNNEE!!!

and so do your cuties but that's b/c they are so cute!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Originally posted by CagneyDog
    I HATE it when I see dogs like that. UGH.
    ditto
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Yeap, bothers me a lot, I once saw a dog fall out of the back of a truck. The driver didn't even notice and just kept driving, with the poor dog running behind him barking. That was a long time ago in the town of MT Pleasant, TN. I was just a young girl then, but I can still remember it just as clearly today.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Originally posted by trayi52
    Yeap, bothers me a lot, I once saw a dog fall out of the back of a truck. The driver didn't even notice and just kept driving, with the poor dog running behind him barking. That was a long time ago in the town of MT Pleasant, TN. I was just a young girl then, but I can still remember it just as clearly today.

Willie
    --my sister followed someone whose dog was tied and jumped out and was drug - she got them stopped and the dog was just scared and so was the driver.

-- several weeks ago I was at my parent's house and Keegan was laying in the field and a pickup truck went sailing by with a doberman in it and it saw Keegan and good thing it was tied on a short leash b/c this guy had to be doing at least 60-65 mph and that doberman LUNGED and pulled and barked its fool head off all the way up the road - had it not been tied it would have been very scary for all involved!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

god yes that is a major pet peeve of mine. I LOVE when I see crates bungeed down in the back, been seeing that a lot lately, its wonderful! its illegal in washington for a dog to ride in the back unsecured, yet it happens all the time.

that photo you took though has got to be the worst! all that JUNK, and not even a back door!?!
    R.I.P. Pidge & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Oliver & Sahkmet (the buns)
    Brock & Alki (the poops)
    Felix & Linus (the mews)

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland