Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: France helping US?

France helping US?

I heard a report on one of the news stations last night, that as of that time, there were six countries pledging aid for the hurricane victims. Unfortunately I can't remember all six, and I can't find a reference to the report on the internet (since I don't remember which news station it was because Terry is a chronic "flipper" ), but 3 that stick in my head are Canada, Japan and France.

France was the last mentioned and it really caught my attention. My very first thought was "Oh, trying to make up, are they?" Then after I had time to think about it, I thought "Hmmm...they're trying to send us a message that they aren't our enemy, but they will not be bullied into supporting a cause they don't believe in." Then this morning it occurred to that probably the reason they are helping is because New Orleans has a rich French heritage. From what I understand both Cajun and Creole have French roots. I can't for the life of me believe for even half a second that they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, and I'm one that always tries to see the good in people, but for some reason it's just not working for me when I think of why they're helping. I believe there is just too much "political baggage" between the US and France for them to just be good guys and help us out.

Here's a link I found which somewhat justifies their aid - because there are French citizens stranded. So what....if this happened in....say Texas, where there is no rich French heritage, France would say "Oh, so sorry. Sure hope you guys are ok. Gotta go."?

Maybe I'm being overly cynical and reading way too much into this, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

However, don't get me wrong. I appreciate immensely any aid that is offered by another country. Like others have said, we're always there when the world needs help, where is the world when we need help? And I'm glad to say we are not being abandoned. We do still have friends out there and we appreciate their help.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I suppose you're right with the French Heritage. The Cajuns came from Canada- from Acadia actually which is North of Maine and the word "Acadian" went Cajun. And New Orleans itself is named after the city of Orléans (Jeanne d'Arc's place).

On the other hand: a disaster like that in any part of the world will influence all other parts (our gas became even more expensive as it already is )- so who can help should help.

""Oh, trying to make up, are they?""

Because they're the only country that doesn't support the war in Iraq?

And I'm positive that the French people, along with almost all the other countries in the world, would be sending aid no matter WHERE this disaster happened.

Originally posted by Iilo

And I'm positive that the French people, along with almost all the other countries in the world, would be sending aid no matter WHERE this disaster happened.
    They are not the only country that doesn't support the war in Iraq. And really you can't say that they are the only country. They are the only government would be more suitable. So many people from every nation including your own do not support the war. But governments are going to support for their own needs and views not for that of the people. France is the only one that listened to their citizens.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I heard that Germany has pledged help.....

Thanks, I do have a fair amount of cynicism (I can't even spell the word.....)

Now to get some of the oil producers to lower the price?

Not likely..

Someone just told me that a few countries volunteered to help out and our WONDERFUL loser of a President declined!!!!! Anyone want to clue me in on what the story is??

RICHARD,

Oil producers helping by reducing their prices???? Yeah, right. George Dubya is laughing all the way to the bank on that one!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

The administration has said that all offers of aid have been accepted. The one offer that apparently was refused was from Russia, who offered rescue teams. Sory, russian rescue teams probably equates to russian troops, who don't exactly have a great track record when it comes to humanitarian aid.

Again, I know the President is the root of all evil, but I sincerely doubt his concern right now is for the profits of the oil industry. In fact, if congress REALLY wanted to do something to help out, they could suspend fuel taxes unti lthe refineries on the GC get back online, and then maybe say to hell with the not in my backyard crowd and start letting the oil industry build some refineries OUT OF THE LINE OF THE HURRICANES!

Originally posted by Lady's Human

Again, I know the President is the root of all evil, but I sincerely doubt his concern right now is for the profits of the oil industry.

It's great to know we have an official spokesman for the
    current administration right here on Pet Talk.

oh, and George Bush is too dumb to be trully evil. It's only his stupidity and position that makes him dangerous. His momma
    can only pray that one day he'll get a clue.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Sorry, Liz, I'm not an official spokesman for anyone but me. Frankly, I think the entire city of Washington needs a nice cleaning. Both parties are too entrenched in keeping themselves in power to do anything truly meaningful. They're too wrapped up in getting votes to lead.

Originally posted by Lady's Human
    Sorry, Liz, I'm not an official spokesman for anyone but me. Frankly, I think the entire city of Washington needs a nice cleaning. Both parties are too entrenched in keeping themselves in power to do anything truly meaningful. They're too wrapped up in getting votes to lead.

I agree. Things surely couldn't get any worse.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

A voice of reason, every now and then, is nice in the Dog House.

Dogs and cats are clinging to floating coffins and we are spewing about the "Evil Bush" and "cleaning out Washington"? I'm sure the alligators are having a blast and what is wrong with this picture? I'm disgusted with so called humanity sometimes and feeling very overwhelmed

Originally posted by Iilo

I agree! Your reaction is not fair, I'm sorry to say so....
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Ok, my rant is now off France.....and back to my favorite arrogant bumbling idiot. Last night the same newscaster (still haven't had a chance to research and find a copy of his report, and I can't for the life of me remember his name) said that now over 20 countries have pledged support, but Bush has not accepted any of them. He didn't say the offers were declined, just not accepted "until we can futher assess the situation."

Then this morning, the only thing mentioned about aid - besides the funds approved by the senate - was the GW Bush was working with this father and Clinton to try and drum up "private donations similar to how they collaborated during the sunami efforts."

Gee, sorry all you countries out there willing to help, but we don't need your help, we've got Bush Sr. and Clinton working on it for us.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Originally posted by lizbud
    It's great to know we have an official spokesman for the
    current administration right here on Pet Talk.

When will the unoffical spokesperson for the disabused speak?

Or has she left Crawford TX yet?