Thread: Determining the gender of a baby...

Determining the gender of a baby...

With all this baby fever on PT, I got a little curious about determining the genders of the unborn baby. I once heard that the temperature of the enviornment that the pregnant woman is living in can determine the gender of her baby. I heard that it happens with reptiles and birds as well, and was curious about the scientific evidence backing this statement up. Can anyone find me a good link? I don't quite remember, but I think it was something like the colder the enviornment the more likely the baby will be a female. The hotter the enviornment, the more likely the baby will be a male. Am I correct or is this some old wive's tale? Thanks for any info

Oh, and my memory is horrible so this could probably apply only to reptiles and other animals and NOT humans. If so, please excuse my ignorance

What i've learned in school, the sex of the baby is determined during conception. Nothing during pregnancy can change that.

For reptiles and birds, I believe that "rule" is indeed true.

*edit* I just did a search and found this..
    http://sheknows.com/about/look/3545.htm

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

If that were true we'd have nothing but boys here in Arizona!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

The gender of a baby is decided by which sperm cell fertilizes the egg. Each sperm carries an x or a y that determines gender. Kay is right on target
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Yep, the sex of human babies is determined by the male's sperm.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I have to look it up in my book, I don't quite remember, but there is a way to intensify your chances of getting the sex you want (though it's of corse not a guarantee)....

aaaah, it's through in-vitro fertilization. The weight and speed of the sperm is different according to wether it is X or Y. They determine which the sperm is and then it's planted into the woman's egg...

hmmm, interesting.

EDIT: here is more from the book I have- "to improve your chances of having a boy lovemaking should occur exclusively during the day before and the day of ovulation, when the environment in the woman's reproductive system is more alkaline. Avoid lubricants and jellies, as they increase the acidity of the vaginal fluids."

"To improve the chances of having a girl lovemaking should occur two or more days before or after ovulation, as the acid pH will be in favor of the X-specific sperm."

(That got a bit technical, I hope it was alright to post that.)
    Last edited by BitsyNaceyDog; 07-13-2005 at 01:28 PM.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

According to this article (http://family.msn.com/tool/article.a...nup=bc&offer=1), there are 4 things either my husband OR I (or us together) did that would lead one to believe our baby is a boy. We fit the outline for a girl for just one thing.

LOL I'm still hoping for a girl, but a healthy baby is really all I want. I just think dressing her up in pink flowery lacey outfits would be fun.

Kari - Interesting information you've posted...

It makes sense that sperms carrying a specific chromosome would fair better in a certain situation. I have heard stories of "positioning" being a factor in determining the sex of a baby...but in reality, it is all up to the male!

So when your son or daughter is making you crazy due to their gender...just blame it on the father!
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day

I always joked that it was a wonder that ANY boys were born considering how much men hate to stop and ask for directions - what makes their little soldiers any different? My husband is directionally challenged, to the point of ridiculousness - if that's a word, so I'm hoping that his boy soldiers got lost and wouldn't ask for directions and the girls went straight to the egg! LOL

OM Gosh Jaime!!!!!!! hahahahaha!! "Little soldiers getting lost..."

hehehe - well, I hope so too for you...little girls are awesome!! (although little boys are just as cute too... )
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day