Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breeding

breeding

I would possibly like to breed Beenie (boston terrier) sometime next year. I'd appreciate any advice from you all as to what to expect, what to do first etc... where to find a studd etc.
    I have bred a poodle before, in Italy, but I know that it is very different with Boston terriers.
    Thanks for any info.

Why do you want to breed? What makes Beenie worthy of breeding? How old is she? Did you get Beenie from a breeder? Does she have all of the proper health certificates? Breeding takes a LOT of time and money. The only reason anyone should breed is to improve the breed.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I honestly think you need to do some serious research and think long and hard before you decide to breed.

I know. It does seem selfish.
    My husband and I have been thinking a lot about it.
    She is a good quality boston, with papers, AKC registered, health certificate and all that mess. She respects the "standards" for her breed in full. We did get her from a breeder (after having looked 6 months for a boston in many shelters without any luck). We want to breed her for the family. I want tp keep at least 2 of her pups and my husbands brothers would like one as well. Any pups that remain will stay with me until I can place them in a loving home.... if not, I keep them.

I'm assuming the breeder you purchased her from was a Responsible Breeder and not a Backyard Breeder? Do you still keep in touch with her breeder? Was she sold on any kind of contract? I know Bostons are prone to skin, eye, heart, and breathing problems. All of these issues have been cleared and you have the necessary certificates such as CERF, OFA, etc.? How old is she? Females should not be bred until they are at least two or three years of age. If you are not breeding to soley improve the breed I would suggest that you get her spayed and just enjoy her as a pet.

Boston Terriers usually have difficulty whelping litters, and most of the time the puppies have to be delivered by cesarean section.

Hopefully some of the experienced breeders will chime in here and give you some more helpful information.

With thousdands of homeless animals put to sleep every year, I don't understand why you want to breed. Unless you are a professional, responsible breeder like Sunkist Goldens is. My advice would be to find a good breeder in your area and have your family members buy one if they are so set on that breed.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
    With thousdands of homeless animals put to sleep every year, I don't understand why you want to breed. Unless you are a professional, responsible breeder like Sunkist Goldens is. My advice would be to find a good breeder in your area and have your family members buy one if they are so set on that breed.
    ditto
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

No, I don't keep in touch with the breeder anymore.

Beenie occasionally has had "itchy feet" and mild skin irritation (usually around the time of her heat) but other than that she's always been in good health.

She is 18 months old. (That's why I said next year). By feb. of next year she will be almost 2 and a half years old.

I am very appreciative and will take your advice seriously:
    "I would suggest that you get her spayed and just enjoy her as a pet."

Maybe we'll just adopt from a shelter.... sooner or later another boston will come along.

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
    I agree.

Originally posted by beeniesmom
    No, I don't keep in touch with the breeder anymore.

Beenie occasionally has had "itchy feet" and mild skin irritation (usually around the time of her heat) but other than that she's always been in good health.

She is 18 months old. (That's why I said next year). By feb. of next year she will be almost 2 and a half years old.

I am very appreciative and will take your advice seriously:
    "I would suggest that you get her spayed and just enjoy her as a pet."

Maybe we'll just adopt from a shelter.... sooner or later another boston will come along.
    There are lots of bostons looking for homes in shelters.

Breeding can be very difficult and expensive, escpecially with Bostons. They usually need C-sections, and C-sections can be very expensive -- most times around $1000. Breeding them can be very dangerous too. I hope you find another Boston to adopt. That would be nice.

I don't remember who posted this, but I thought it was a good reprsentation of what goes into breeding:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,

HI. I’M LOOKING TO BREED MY 3-YEAR-OLD PUG, JAKE. HE IS PAPERED, I’M LOOKING TO HAVE HIM FIXED SOON BUT I WOULD LIKE ONE OF HIS NAMESAKE TO CARRY ON HIS NAME. I’M NOT LOOKING FOR MONEY BUT I WOULD LIKE ONE OF THE PUPS. PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH ME. MAYBE WE CAN TALK. MAYBE YOU CAN PUT ME IN TOUCH WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN. THANK YOU. GOSSIMER.

Hi, Gossimer:

This proposal sounds intriguing. I'm currently looking for a fawn stud for my BISS Ch Larimar's Stardust CD, CGC (BIS/BISS Ch Larimar's Chip of the Old Block ROM*** x Ch Jill's Win-Chimes of Lil Mite ROM***).

What line is Jake from and what is his linebreeding/inbreeding/coefficient? I apologize; but I'm not familiar with his callname. I'll need to know Jake's CERF, OFA patella luxation and OFA CHD certification numbers, T3 & T4 test results, number of occurrences of hemivertebrae, PDE, and cleft palate through the fifth generation. Just to be on the safe side, I'll need a negative brucellosis and bordetella licensed veterinarian certification from you. It's not a bad idea to get a VetGen phenotyping either.

For the future Get, I'll also need copies of Jake's titles and his AKC and/or CKC registration number(s). I'm especially interested in copies of his PDCA ROM and additional stars awards.

Since there's no stud fee involved, I assume you'll want pick? Dog or b###h? Will you be willing to agree to 1/2 the cesarean if the cause should arise? If the whelps are larger than 6 ounces at parturition, it will be necessary. This seems only fair. Last time I got a good break and it was only $500, but unfortunately that vet retired this year and the new owner has raised everything to almost double! It's hard to find a good pug vet!

Will you be doing a natural or artificial? If artificial, I'll need you to send the fresh chilled or frozen semen Overnight Express Mail. I'll be willing to split the cost; $500 should cover it unless you are on the East Coast, then I'll send $750. Please let me know where to send the check. I think it's only fair that you take care of the semen analysis expense since I will be doing the whelping and training. You should be able to find a Canine Semen Bank and Collection/Storage in your area. Be sure to get at least three straws. The last time I looked into having it done, it was about $900.00--a lot less than before since more and more people are doing it.

If Jake does natural, let me know which airport to ship to (if you are outside of CA). To take care of my dam, I'll need to have an overnight or early, early morning delivery time. Since it's getting warmer now, it's best to plan for you to pick her up after midnight. Even with a cool down mat you never know with these brachceapholoids (I probably spelled that wrong, but you know what I mean! . Be sure to take MC/VISA or cash since the counter-to-counter service does not accept checks.

Let me know after they tie three times and then I will let you know the return arrangements. She ovulates late, so she may be two or three weeks at your house. I'll get her to you by the tenth day just to be sure we don't miss it or she absorbs.

Double check with your homeowner’s insurance plan to see that it covers visiting matrons in case anything should happen. A BISS CH/CD/CGC should be covered for a minimum of $5K.

Since her cycle is so late, you'll need to purchase Solid Gold. I can't send enough in the crate. It generally runs $40 a bag. Be sure to get the Seameal, Pet Tabs Plus, Concept-A-b###h, and Red Raspberry Tea Leaves too. Also, she'll need 500 mg. of Ascorbic Acid, 200 mg. of Tocopherols twice a day with tepid water. Not too hot because she will grow finicky. Be careful not to give her A Palmitate since this can increase the chance of cleft palate and I don't want to have to cull. It's a good idea to give her organically grown-pesticide free calf liver. You'll need to prepare it yourself since she doesn't like pre-packaged brands. It's best to buy it in 50-lb. bulk and boil it all at once. Be sure to keep skimming the foam off every 15 minutes because she doesn't like it slimy. Bake it afterwards until it's a good baiting consistency then vacuum-pack and freeze it. The whole process should only take about 12 hours. In a hurry you could get it down to 10 hours.

You won't have to worry about splitting the vaccination costs for the litter. I give my own now and that will save you half of the normal $480 or so. You can help out with the title rebates if you'd like.

Your pick should be ready at 12 weeks. I'll let you know the whelping date so that you can plan the transportation. I assume you already own a Sherpa? That's the best way to go if you're out of CA, otherwise you can drive to pick it up--just bring along a Vari-Kennel.

What are your club affiliates? I don't recognize your email address off the top of my head. I'm DPCA, PDCA, and NCPC. If you're not PDCA, we can work on getting you your two letters of recommendation.

Well, let me know when you have all the necessary paperwork done. Also, please send me Jake's AKC certified 4 generation with coat colors and his best win shots so that I can make colored copies.

Warmest Regards,

Danielle M. Campi
    And here's something I made up quite some time ago when someone asked if a breeder could make money off of 8 jack russel pups for $875 each:

Okay, let's see. $875 times 8 is $7000. Both dam and sire should be health certitified before breeding.
    Hips - $30
    Elbows - $25
    Thyroid - $15
    Heart - $15
    Patellar Luxation - $15
    Deafness- $15
    Eyes - $17.50 (because initial registration)
    That is $132.50 .

Tests for Brucellosis (disease of reproductive tract) and Bortedella (STD) - $60

$40 to submit DNA test results to AKC. DNA test - $15

Solid Gold vitamins for bitch - $40

Stud fee for a Champion dog can be as high as $2000. Let's say $1000.

Bitch must go to the vet at around day 30. Alot of breeders like to use an ultrasound--another $200.

$1000 should be put aside for an emergency C-section.

At around day 50, you have to take days off of work to be around the expentant mother 24/7 to make sure nothing goes wrong. If you have a 9-5 job and an hourly wage of $15, you will lose around $1500. Then you have to stay with the dog and puppies until the puppies go home. 8 weeks - $6720

At 3 days, the puppies will need their first vet check, and the mother will need a check too. Each puppy will get dewclaws removed ($50 per puppy -- for 8 puppies that's $400). Rat terriers have their tails docked ($10.00 per tail, that's $80). Vaccination for eight puppies, $70 each, is $560. Deworming - $400. Puppies may need to be tested for skin problems, coccidia, and parvo -- $1000.

The breeder will need supplies before all of this happens. Whelping box, whelping box heating pad, incubator, weight scale, indoor puppy pen, first aid, emergency supplies, dishes. About $1000.

Food to feed puppies for two weeks - $40.

Registration fees for AKC - $400

Puppy kit to be sent home with new owner - $20 per puppy, $160 for 8 puppies.
    I could never breed dogs, too much work for me!
    I've been BOO'd!

PLEASE DON"T BREED HER!

i would HIGHLY suggest you not breed Beenie. i use to work at a humane society and had to hold down 2 bostons while they were PTS because no one adopted them.

my friend that shows siberian huskies just bred one of her bitches and it cost over $500 just to get her pregnant! when the puppies come it's going to cost even more with shots, food, and anything else that may come up. my friend is a professional dog handler and has been showing and breeding siberians for over 20 years.

if you want to breed her just to have another boston....go buy/adopt another boston. it'll be MUCH cheaper then raising a whole litter.

if your breeding to have a pup like your Beenie there is a very slim chance that will happen.

the wise thing to do is spay her and if you want another boston, go adopt/buy another boston. they are out there!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Re: PLEASE DON"T BREED HER!

Originally posted by lute

if you want to breed her just to have another boston....go buy/adopt another boston. it'll be MUCH cheaper then raising a whole litter.

if your breeding to have a pup like your Beenie there is a very slim chance that will happen.

the wise thing to do is spay her and if you want another boston, go adopt/buy another boston. they are out there!
    VERY well said!

Thanks wolfsoul, I'm gonna use that jack russel post to try to convince my aunt not to breed her chihuahuas. Has anybody ever looked into invitro or test tube insemination for dogs? That way you only get one or two pups instead of a litter. I thought about it once but never looked into it. Just wondering. I agree that you should try to rescue a boston, but it sounds like you'd have good homes picked out before she is bred which is something I wish more people would do beforehand.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

just another idea. if you want more bostons....FOSTER bostons for a rescue!

i'm gingto be talking with my parents about fostering great danes for a rescue.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I LOVE Boston Terriers, and I've done a lot of research on Bostons and breeders. There is an overwhelming number of Backyard Breeders and Puppy Mills that are absolutely *ruining* this awesome breed!! Boston Terriers are popping up in shelters everywhere, I've seen dozens that have severe health problems due to inexperienced and careless people breeding Bostons with luxating patellas, hip dysplasia, allergies, etc! I've also seen and met many abandoned Boston Terriers that were given up because they were from puppy mills and simply had NO social skills with ANYthing. There are tons of Bostons in shelters, there are tons of every breed of dog dying in shelters. Adopting a Boston in need would be WONDERFUL for you to do! Its what I plan to do

Really importantly, the ONLY reason to breed dogs is to improve the breed. Beenie is adorable, but breeder dogs should NOT be "good quality". . they should be EXCELLENT, SHOW quality! They should fit their standard to a tee, passed all temperament and health tests (which will cost you $1000's), have show and working experience, and they should come from nothing but SUPERB lines from a highly reputable breeder. This is the only way to breed dogs that I, or any responsible dog lover, would approve of. Even if Beenie passes all of these standards, are you willing to spend $1000's on an emergency C-section for Beenie? Are you willing to risk her life for that? Boston Terriers are probably one of the TOP dogs that require C-section births (French Bulldogs are #1, and they are *very* similar in structure to Bostons), because the puppies have very large heads when they're born, usually too large for the small dam. Also consider that you will almost definitely lose money with a litter, if you do it correctly. Just testing Beenie for all possible health problems, paying for a high quality stud, raising and possibly(definitely if she gets a C-section!) bottle-feeding the puppies. . and, remember that Bostons are little dogs and almost always have litters of less than 4 puppies. That means, even if you charge $1000+ for each puppy, you will be VERY lucky if you break even!! On top of the money, breeding your dog puts her life at risk, as does keeping her intact (she is at risk for mammory cancer, etc).

Wolfsoul's post is awesome!! SO right

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz