Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your dog have a chip

Does your dog have a chip

Magic was chipped before I adopted her, it was a requirement from the rescue organization. I'm just wondering how many of you have your dog chipped.

Magic Bailey-Jane and Judy

My Tucker had a chip because he had been a shelter dog. After we adopted Tucker, we also got Hannah chipped. (Avid).
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Rocky is chipped.

----<---<--<{(@

It's law amongst nearly all councils now. So yes.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

No chip (yet) for Bijou because she was a pup rescue (she had only had her first puppy shots administered when we got her at 14 weeks; no vet exam, no vaccinations, no deworming, no spay, etc.). She's now fully UTD on everything except being chipped -- I'd love to hear your experiences/thoughts on this. I know it's quite affordable and (supposedly) not too uncomfortable to place -- any reason not to have it done?

All four of my dogs are chipped as well as 4 of my 5 cats.

All 3 of ours have chips

Originally posted by tricollie4me
    . I know it's quite affordable and (supposedly) not too uncomfortable to place -- any reason not to have it done?
    Your comment brought back memories on how nervous I was about getting Hannah chipped. I grilled the vet on whether it was painful, etc. If I remember correctly he offered the option of lightly sedating her, but I didn't want to go that route either if it wasn't necessary. As it turned out, she didn't even flinch and all my worry was for naught.

The vet did tell me that sometimes the chip can migrate from the spot it was inserted. Anyway, we haven't had any problems that I'm aware of. You can always ask your vet to check if the check if it still where it is where it is supposed to be.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Snowy was 3 months old when she was chipped and eventhough she bled a little when the vet inserted the chip, like Hannah, she did not even flinch.

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

If I remember correctly the chipping was done when Magic was spayed. She was out at the time of insertion so I don't know how much discomfort is involved because I didn't own her then. I can't immagine it would be more painful than having your ears pierced. They do use a gun for it.

I had Ginger chipped when she was about 15 weeks. I don't know if she cried or not because the Vet actually took her into another room to chip her. It is my understanding that the chips may/do move a little, but it is not like they are roaming all around the dog's body, it is just a slight movement in that general area.

Oggyflute, do all dogs in Australia have to be chipped, or is it just certain breeds? When did they start requiring that? Hmm...interesting, I am not sure how I feel about that. It could be good... I guess.

I am a big supporter of chips - don't think you should have a dog, or cat, unless it is traceable to you. It is still the best option for everyone...

BUT - a very disturbing article in some of our papers today.

Gangs have started to kidnap dogs after watching pet owning homes and are then demanding ransom money for the safe return of kidnapped dog.
    Many people have paid the ransom, sometimes thousands of pounds and had their dogs returned to them. Some owners have been a little delayed in paying the money as they have contacted police, animal charities etc. When they have paid the money their pets have been returned with the all too obvious evidence that the kidnappers have tried to remove the chips!!!

Carrie's report is very disturbing and I can see where some dirt bag would try to do that. Unfortunately.

Another thing to be careful of.... My Dixie has always belonged to me but Avid (the chip she has implanted) had her belonging to someone in Florida. I don't know how that happened. When I called to complain, they didn't need any identification from me but changed the record on my say so. I could of been anyone and they wouldn't have known the difference or cared for that matter!

I will always chip my dogs but I will periodically check their registration to make sure it hasn't been tampered with.

Buddy and Tasha are chipped. Docker is not yet but I will have it done when he goes in for his next batch of shots.
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

Emily and Clipse are both microchipped.

Em was done when she was just a baby at the breeders house. Here for a dog to be registered with the CKC it has to have permanent identification which means they need to be tattooed or chipped. Em's breeder chose getting the pups microchipped over getting them tattoed.

Clipse's breeder chose to tattoo so I got him chipped after I got him (at 7 months of age). It is a big needle but he didn't even seem to notice it at all.

*Thanks Ashley*