View Poll Results: How do you keep your dog's teeth clean and breath fresh?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brush their teeth at least once a week

6 13.95%
  • Brush their teeth occassionally

12 27.91%
  • Rawhide/Bones to chew

33 76.74%
  • Liquid tartar remover/breath mints

1 2.33%
  • Greenies/Dentabones/other dental chews

18 41.86%
  • Dog food/treats made to clean teeth/freshen breath

10 23.26%
  • Dental chew toys (such as dental kong)

7 16.28%
  • Have their teeth cleaned at the vet

5 11.63%
  • Other (please specify)

1 2.33%
  • I don't care if my dogs teeth are clean

2 4.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your dog's teeth clean?

How do you keep your dog's teeth clean?

Another curiosity poll... It is multiple choice, choose all that applies!

I really try to keep Nebo's teeth clean. I saw how bad Reggie and Smokey's teeth got and I will never let that happen to Nebo.

I have times where I brush his teeth every day but usually I forget so it's probably more like 1-3 times per week. He also gets greenies/other dental chews and occassionally pressed rawhide to chew. He has nylabones he chews on when he's really bored. I put this "liquid tartar remover" stuff in his water and he also gets dog mints after getting his teeth brushed. I've also bought various breath/dental cleaning dog treats and toys.

I think I may have his teeth professionally cleaned at a vet when he gets older too.
    Last edited by wolf_Q; 02-10-2005 at 11:27 PM.

All of my dogs get their teeth brushed about every 3 days or so. They also get raw bones to chew on twice a week, they work reall well

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

My kids get a chicken wing every second day, and a dental chew a couple of times a week.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

I also brush Gonzo's teeth at least a few times a week, and he gets bones and greenies, plus dental kongs. I wanted to try the liquid tartar remover, does it work? I've also seen the affects of not taking care of dogs teeth, and I do not want that to happen to Gonzo... I'll probably get his teeth cleaned when he gets older, but so far they are very very shiney and white

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

when i adopted bella, her teeth were in a terrible state. all black and stinking. i wanted to book her in for a dental clean at the vets, but after just moving into a new house and being sterilized, i didn;t think she needed the extra stress. so she just gets a lot of chew toys and denta-bones and ONLY dry kibble. in the six monthes we have had her, the change is amazing!!!

tito is only 16 months old and has beautiful teeth. and absolutely NO dog breath.

i never brush them, just give them dry kibble and lotsa chew toys.

Raw meaty bones!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Raw meaty bones!
    Same , and the occasional Greenie.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Thats so funny that you started this thread, Amy. I just got the new Foster and Smith and was looking at the dental section this morning before I came here. I am ashamed to say that I have never brushed my girls' teeth . I was looking at all the products and thinking I really need to do this. I do give them lots of dental chewies. I need to start giving them occasional brushings and I also would like to get some of that stuff that you put in their water.

raw diet lol so Raw meaty bones everyday at 6pm for supper
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I give Holly compressed rawhide and dental greenies, I've tried brushing her teeth, but she gets so excited, she loves the doggie toothpaste, and she's so busy trying to lick the toothpaste off the brush, that I don't think I'm accomplishing much.

I use a variety of rawhide, Dentabones, Greenies, and treats.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

They chew on lots of bones, occasionally get raw bones, and things like Dentabones for reducing tarter. My beautiful Star is 8 and still has nice white teeth- even the vet comments on her pretty teeth!

Originally posted by RobiLee
    Thats so funny that you started this thread, Amy. I just got the new Foster and Smith and was looking at the dental section this morning before I came here. I am ashamed to say that I have never brushed my girls' teeth . I was looking at all the products and thinking I really need to do this. I do give them lots of dental chewies. I need to start giving them occasional brushings and I also would like to get some of that stuff that you put in their water.
    Don't be ashamed! I would think that the majority of dog owners never brush their dog's teeth, Robin. I certainly don't. But mine do chew on hard bones a lot, plus eat hard food and treats. They have never needed a tooth cleaning at the dentist.

Logan

I brush Dixie and Dusty's teeth about once a week. They even have their own Spin brush toothbrushes! I also gave them natural frozen bison bones to chew on but I can't do that anymore because of a tooth problem Dusty has from chewing too aggressively. I guess I'm just going to have to brush them more frequently.

My pups teeth are very clean, and I've never brushed them!
    I don't give them Dentabones very often, maybe once every few months. But they love pigs ears and milkbones, so I'm sure that's what keeps their teeth clean!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome