Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Groups Opposed ToThe Greyhound Racing Industry

Groups Opposed ToThe Greyhound Racing Industry

This list from the Greyhound Racing Association Of America.

FYI:

Organizations that Openly Oppose Greyhound Racing Financial

The following organizations openly oppose greyhound racing through the media-- and to the public:

GREY2KUSA

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)

Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PeTA)

Greyhound Protection League

Greyhound Network News

Greyhound Action International

Idaho Citizens Against Greyhound Entertainment

Pennsylvania Citizens Against Greyhound Racing

Kids For Greyhounds

Greyhoundracingsucks.com

American-European Greyhound Alliance

Greyhound Central

ADOPTION GROUPS

That openly oppose greyhound racing

Parent Organization Group Name Representative Location
    Greyheart Greyhound Rescue and Adoption of Michigan Carol Jensen MI
    Greyhound Adoption of Ohio Linda Perko OH
    Greyhound Adoptions of Florida, Inc. Bob & Marilyn Varnberg FL
    Greyhound Companions of New Mexico Judy Kody Paulsen NM
    Greyhound Welfare Foundation Greyhound Friends for Life Sue Tomasello CA
    GREYHOUND FRIENDS Greyhound Friends of North Carolina Randy Barrow NC
    GREYHOUND FRIENDS Greyhound Friends, Inc. Louise Coleman MA
    Greyhound Gang Claudia Presto UT
    Greyhound Guardians Lee & Larry Lavery IN
    Greyhound Rescue of Idaho Virginia McKean ID
    Greyhounds New Beginnings Harold Daniel Laird MI
    GreysLand Greyhound Adoption, Inc. Robin Norton MA
    Hav-A-Heart Greyhound Rescue & Adoption Jo Ann Jones MI
    Michigan Greyhound Connection Susan Bilsky MI
    REGAP Michigan REGAP Lenka Perron MI
    NGAP National Greyhound Adoption Program, Inc. David Wolf PA
    Operation Greyhound Bruna Palmatier CA
    USA Defenders of Greyhounds Inc. Nancy Wallace/Hudspeth IL
    USA Defenders of Greyhounds, Inc. Linda Brewster GA
    USA Defenders of Greyhounds, Inc. Sally Allen IN

ADOPTION GROUPS

That associate with individuals and groups that openly oppose greyhound racing

Parent Organization Group Name Representative Location
    2nd Chance Greyhounds John Burt UT
    Adopt a Greyhound Atlanta, Inc. Carl Veiner GA
    Adopt-A-Greyhound Leslie Trout WI
    Arizona Greyhound Rescue AZ
    Canine Causes Cindy Hall CA
    Dog Rescue Ireland Bernie Wright IRELAND
    Dogworks Canine Rescue Penny Noel CA
    Fast Dogs-Fast Friends Debi Woodman AZ
    Fast Friends Donna Paine NH
    First State Greyhound Rescue PA
    Friends of Greyhounds, Inc. Michelle Weaver FL
    Golden State Greyhound Adoption Barbara Homer CA
    Grateful Greyhounds Lisa Sallie NY
    GREAT FL
    Greater Raleigh Greyhound Rescue Group Dana R Jones, DVM NC
    Greyhound Acres Rescue & Adoption Marc & Shaun NY
    Greyhound Adoption and Rescue Janice Ziola NV
    Greyhound Adoption California Scott & Ann Sanders CA
    Greyhound Adoption Center Kathy Johnson CA
    Greyhound Adoption Center Dana Provost NV
    Greyhound Awareness League David Melville SCOTLAND
    Greyhound Rescue of Idaho Greyhound Connection Heather Weir CO
    GREYHOUND FRIENDS Greyhound Friends of New Jersey Barbara Wicklund NJ
    GPA Greyhound Pets of America Ellen Schneiderman WI
    Greyhound Rescue & Rehabilitation NY
    Greyhound Rescue Adoption Team (GReAT) NY
    Greyhound Rescue And Adoption Bob Abramson KY
    Greyhound Rescue of Austin Marnie Reeder TX
    Greyhound Rescue of N.E., Inc. MA
    Greyhound Welfare Kopal Barnouin Jha MD
    Greyhounds & Love, Inc. Terry Howard SC
    Greyhounds as Companions Pat Colitsas NY
    Greyhounds Galore Jackie Brantley GA
    Greyhounds Only, Inc. Linda La Foone IL
    Halfpint Haven Borzoi and Greyhound Adoptions, Inc. Lisa Simpson FL
    REGAP Illinois REGAP Ellen Stokal IL
    REGAP Kansas City REGAP Bill & Cher Oliver MO
    Long Island Greyhound Transfer Inc. (L.I.G.H.T.) Craig Barrett CT
    Long Island Greyhound Transfer, Inc. Julie Ferrara NY
    National Greyhound Foundation, Inc. Beverly Sebastian FL
    New Beginnings Greyhound Adoption FL
    New Jersey Greyhound Adoption Program, Inc. Jennifer Sigler NJ
    New Mexico Greyhound Connection Candy & Jerry Beck NM
    Northern California Greyhound Adoption Program Jean Rice CA
    Racing Dog Rescue Project FL
    REGAP REGAP of Connecticut Eileen McCaughern CT
    REGAP REGAP of Illinois, Inc IL
    Retired Racers, Inc. Linda Brown CA
    Second Chance for Greyhounds Helen Banks FL
    Shamrock Greyhound Placement Jennifer Watkins KY
    REGAP St. Louis REGAP MO
    We Adopt Greyhounds Ellie Goldstein CT
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Another point of view on the Greyhound Racing Business.

I think I'm in great company when I say that I agree with this
    point of view. Racing animals for profit should be banned in all
    states.

http://www.petelevin.com/greyhounds.htm

http://www.petfinder.com/journalinde...ues/1.39.3.txt
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by lizbud
    Another point of view on the Greyhound Racing Business.

I think I'm in great company when I say that I agree with this
    point of view. Racing animals for profit should be banned in all
    states.

http://www.petelevin.com/greyhounds.htm

http://www.petfinder.com/journalinde...ues/1.39.3.txt
    Do you believe everything you read?

From Levin's site:

Of the over 30,000 puppies born into the industry annually, only one in 20 will generate enough prize money income to stay alive to the mandatory retirement age of five years.
    This makes no sense. A 5 year-old greyhound that is still racing is almost as rare as a 40 year-old in the NFL. Most greyhounds are retired to breeding or a pet before 5 years of age.

Mr. Levin has since deleted this page from his official web site. I noted the discrepancies on his web page and sent him an e-mail---here is his reply:

I'm aware that the Greyhound situation has improved a great deal over the last few years - that from my own observation only. Having no source that I trust, I long ago removed links to my Greyhound web pages and asked others to do the same. You're correct that the page is out of date - because I haven't edited it in years. It's an archived page on my website. Whatever link took you there is outdated.
    Here is his present site: http://www.petelevin.com/

You'll note there is no reference to greyhounds whatsoever.

As for the second article, note the date. This is already 8 years old.

Bridgeport (Shoreline Star) and The Woodlands are still open these 8 years later. The bill pending in Massachusetts was defeated. The other states did not have greyhound racing to begin with.

Will the industry be extinct by the year 2000, as is the goal of Campaign 2000, an effort launched by Susan Netboy and the Greyhound Protection League? Or will it be downsized to include numerous simulcast betting parlors and a small number of financially secure tracks offering live racing?
    The answer to both questions is obviously, no.

Still, in a media age where only the most gory or “warm and fuzzy” stories are covered, the tremendous strides taken by people within the industry and those in the greyhound adoption movement go largely uncovered. In 1990, 3,500 retired greyhounds found homes; by 1995, the annual number had skyrocketed to 16,000 racers adopted through the efforts of 200 rescue groups. These dogs were bathed, vetted, neutered and placed in carefully screened homes. Only a shortage of funds, volunteers or responsible adopters will prevent the numbers from continuing to rise.
    In fact the numbers have risen substantially.

Adoptions have increased by 1,000 to 1,500 dogs per year for almost two decades now. Greyhound Pets of America, the largest adoption group, recently celebrated its 60,000th adoption. There are 300+ adoption groups across the U.S. and Canada, and despite what you are often told, they are getting the job done.

Make Peace With Animals, headed by the well-respected author Cynthia Branigan (Reign Of The Greyhound, Adopting The Racing Greyhound), estimated in 2002 that 21,000 greyhounds were adopted out of a total number registered of approximately 27,000. Additionally, around 3,000 females are retained for breeding every year. That leaves a number far smaller than the "20,000" figure bandied about by GPL and others. The adoption/retention rate of greyhounds is around 90% and increases every year. With breedings trending downward and adoptions up every year, full adoption is in sight. GPA's goal is full adoption by 1997.

Here are the registrations the past several years.

2003 26,277
    2002 27,142
    2001 26,797
    2000 26,464
    1999 27,059
    1998 26,036
    1997 28,025
    1996 28,877

In a country where 5-7 million pets are euthanized annually, greyhound racing is being held to a standard by which the general population does not itself adhere. Approximately 95% of all greyhounds either find homes or are retained for breeding, a percentage that would be the envy of any popular breed of dog. Soon it will be 100% and a standard by which every breed will be measured.

Martin Roper

Can we PLEASE not start this all over again?????

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
    Can we PLEASE not start this all over again?????
    AGREED!!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

The thread is clearly marked for what it is. People are entitled to read it or not.

One side has had free reign on this issue for some time on these boards, but now other voices have come in with differing opinions in a factual and nonconfrontational manner.

If this offends you move on.

(BTW, cute Rat.) We had Chinchillas for a number of years and enjoyed them. When we started with greyhounds we decided they weren't such a good idea. When our last Chin passed on we didn't get any more.
    Last edited by jcsperson; 10-29-2004 at 08:21 PM.

Yes, and it's been stated over and over in the other thread. Have a wonderful night.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Haven't we already had this discussion? Deja vu.

Puppy pictures

Since the Greyhound Racing Association web site was mentioned, I thought I'd toot its horn a bit as I am a member. The site has detailed background information on the raising and racing of greyhounds.

If you can stand a lot of puppy pictures, the Farm Life section has a lot of pics and interesting info:

http://www.gra-america.org/farmlife.html

On that page, if you click on the subheadings it will take you to further info on the rearing of greyhounds and their training:

- The Expecting Brood Matron
    - Whelping Puppies
    - The First 4 Months
    - 5-12 Months
    - 12-17 Months

This is one of my favorite pics:

http://www.gra-america.org/images/gallery/farm/71.jpg

I missed the other arguement.... but I agree with lizbud

One side has had free reign on this issue for some time on these boards, but now other voices have come in with differing opinions in a factual and nonconfrontational manner.

If this offends you move on.
    by move on do you mean leave pet talk?

And did you know that in RI (where I live) not too long ago some greyhounds at the racetrack tested positive for cocaine!!! Do you honestly think those owners cared about their dogs? No, they cared about making money off them winning.

And if they cared about their dogs, why would they put them up for adoption (at best), kill them, or dispose of them when they can't race anymore?

If you agree greyhounds shouldn't be subject to cruel exploitation then you agree with us. Argument over. If not I'm just going to ignore you from now on.

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

Originally posted by wolfie
    I missed the other arguement.... but I agree with lizbud

by move on do you mean leave pet talk?
    No, I simply mean don't read the thread.

And did you know that in RI (where I live) not too long ago some greyhounds at the racetrack tested positive for cocaine!!!
    Can you provide a link for the cocaine story in RI? I was not aware of that occurring at Lincoln.

I do know there was a similar incident in Florida. The State Gaming Commission there randomly tests dogs for drugs and there was a flap in the press that several dogs tested positive for trace amounts of cocaine in their systems. These would be thousands of times lower than required to affect the dogs and would be consistent with being handled at some point by an individual who had trace amounts of cocaine on his or her hands. If my memory serves me some 50 dogs had trace amounts in their systems out of 35,000 tested over a two-year period. It is pretty clear that the situation is not serious or widespread and has made no impact whatsoever on the dogs. Bank tellers often pick up similar amounts from handling bills that had been used for snorting cocaine.

Do you honestly think those owners cared about their dogs? No, they cared about making money off them winning. And if they cared about their dogs, why would they put them up for adoption (at best), kill them, or dispose of them when they can't race anymore?
    I am an owner of racing greyhounds and pets. I do care about my dogs.

Most racing owners place their dogs through the more than 340 adoption groups across the country because they do care about them. More than 90% of racing greyhounds are adopted or retained for breeding.

If you agree greyhounds shouldn't be subject to cruel exploitation then you agree with us.
    It just so happens that I own racing greyhounds and think they shouldn't be treated cruelly. The vast majority of racing people believe the same way.

Argument over. If not I'm just going to ignore you from now on
    Translation: "Your point of view is incorrect and not worth listening to if it doesn't agree with mine."

What an enlightened point of view!

Originally posted by jcsperson
    Can you provide a link for the cocaine story in RI? I was not aware of that occurring at Lincoln.
    http://www.idahocage.org/fyi.htm
    halfway down, titled "Racing Greyhounds Test Positive for Cocaine..." (but I heard it on the TV news)

Most racing owners place their dogs through the more than 340 adoption groups across the country because they do care about them. More than 90% of racing greyhounds are adopted or retained for breeding.
    If they cared about them they would keep them

Translation: "Your point of view is incorrect and not worth listening to if it doesn't agree with mine."
    um, by the same logic, when you said "If this offends you move on." that would "translate" into the same thing.
    I actually meant, "If you agree... then the arguement is over. And if you keep bringing up the arguement again I'll just take your advice and ignore you. "

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

By stating "If this offends you move on.", he was simply referring to if the argument offends you or if you're tired of hearing the debate, not specifically his point of view. And, it was only stated because someone said the argument was over, and, it didn't need to be brought up again. I agree with jcsperson, though, the title of the thread is clear. I opened it because I'm still interested in hearing both sides, the debate is far from over, as long as there are people who agree with greyhound racing and people who don't, and, I feel like I've learned new things just from reading this thread. It's just like any other debate that pops up in here all the time. Perfect example is declawing. That is always going to be a controversial topic that will always spark a debate as long as some people declaw and some people don't. I think healthy debates are a good thing, even if one person will change their perspective or allow themselves to learn new things, then the debate was worthwhile. I have stopped opening the political threads because I'm tired of hearing about it. But, I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to state that in the thread itself. By not replying or posting, I'm making it clear that the topic is of no interest to me. Jcsperson has made all of his statements in here in an educated, polite manner, as far as I've seen. I've enjoyed reading every one of his posts, and, sincerely hope he doesn't stop writing them. As long as the debate can be civil, I'm all for any topic being discussed, no matter what my opinion on the subject may be. And, just for the record, I'm on the fence as far as greyhound racing goes.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Originally posted by wolfie
    http://www.idahocage.org/fyi.htm
    halfway down, titled "Racing Greyhounds Test Positive for Cocaine..." (but I heard it on the TV news)
    You'll note that of the thousands tested only 4 dogs had "trace amounts" in their system, thousandths of the dose required to create any effect whatsoever. ARA outfits like to post this stuff in their ongoing propaganda campaigns, but this story has had little or no traction in the press because everybody with an ounce of common sense sees there is no problem. Neither the RI or FL Racing Commissions saw any reason to take any action. No allegations were made against a single track, trainer or kennel.

When one thinks about it, giving cocaine to greyhounds makes no sense. Trainers are paid on a commission basis. If their dogs don't do well, the trainer doesn't make money. He feeds and supplements his dogs with the best possible diet in order for them to compete at peak ability. Cocaine has no performance-enhancing properties---why use it?

The likely answer is that workers who process the meat have cocaine on their hands and the dogs ingest it directly through the food.

If they cared about them they would keep them
    If one owns dozens of dogs this is not practical. There are thousands of people, however, who want them. When they adopt a greyhound they get a trained, purebred dog with a wonderful temperament and a documented ancestry. Some folks are "pre-adopting" dogs from breeders and get to follow the dog's career at the track. Many breeders remain in touch with the adopters of their dogs. My breeder friend has her office bulletin board covered with pet pics of the dogs she bred, trained and raced. Most people don't hear things like this because ARA groups focus only on the most sensationalistic stories.

Greyhound breedings have trended down over the past several years and adoptions are way up. The two will intersect at full adoption in the forseeable future, perhaps as early as 2007.

How would anyone know what percentage of greyhounds went where if the NGA won't even record this information and share it with the public? Do we just wait until jcsperson deems it so with unverifiable "estimates"?

Greyhounds are not registered until they are 1 1/2 years old. Your numbers don't even begin with the actual number whelped.
    We have seen adult greyhounds who went into adoption that were never registered at all.

Florida has the largest concentration of greyhounds in the country. According to the adoption people there who work in the trenches, they are not able to take even half of the greyhounds needing to go into adoption each year. What do you suppose those "caring owners" do with the all their dogs?

Jay