Thread: Microchipping or Tattooing?

Microchipping or Tattooing?

I am taking my boys, Clyde and Scooter in to the vet on Friday to get them either microchipped or tattoed.
    Has anybody had either procedure done? What would you recommend?
    One problem I have heard with microchipping is that the chip can move and wind up in a different part of the body. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi.
    I recently had one of my dogs chipped and the cats and the other dog are having it done this month. My vet said that they have improved the chip. It has little "legs" on the side now that hold it in place. That is probably not the right word to use, but he said it will stay put because of the rough edges. I would definitely choose microchipping over tatooing, but I know some people actually do both!
    The chipping procedure did not appear to be uncomfortable for my Honey at all.'
    Good luck. You will feel more secure when it is done. I promise!
    Logan

id go with tatooing. all three of our pets have that... i dont really know that much about microchips but i dont think id ever want to put some metal thingy inside my pets body like that. and sides, in Sweden where i live EVERYONE knows of tattoing and thats where the police looks when they find a lost pet, but not many ppl know what microchips are! but then again you live in Canada so that might not be an issue there...

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

I had the boys microchipped last week. Scooter was not fazed in the least, the needle that they inject the microchip with is quite large, and he never made a peep. As soon as he was done he jumped down from the vet's table and started poking around.
    Clyde was a different story. He had to be held down by 3 people. And he let out the most pitiful cry. I had to keep reminding myself that it was for his own good.