Thread: vet perscribed a "kitty prozac"

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"

vet perscribed a "kitty prozac"

I talked to our vet today about Pickles and his spraying. He has perscribed a drug to boost his seritonin. (sp?) Basically, he said that just like there are some people that have mental problems, some kitties do, too. He says that there is no proof that declawing ever leads to spraying, and that if he's still "sharpening" his claws, then it's most likely that he hasn't even realized that he's clawless! We're going to try this drug for a couple of weeks and psycho clean the house (again!) while he's on it. After that, we will try weening him off. The vet said that lots of times this will "reset" Pickles' behavior. So everyone, please cross fingers and paws, hoping that this makes Pickles feel better!!

Catsnclay had this problem with Yoshi and he was prescribed some type of drug also.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Let's hope this helps Pickles!!! Keep us updated OK?? What drug is it? (I like to read about these things)
    Lisa - do you know how Yoshi did on the med??

Good luck and (((HUGS))) to you for your perseverance!!!Hope Pickles does well on the meds.

I need to give Connor tabs following his operation, and I bought one of those little "pill-poppers"at my vet - it is a God-send - I have NEVER been able to pill a cat before!
    Last edited by Ally Cat's Mommy; 04-12-2004 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Yoshi is still on his meds.........only we have been slowly lowering the dosage. He has been on it now for about 1 year.

The meds we have is in liquid form, so he gets it every morning mixed in with baby food, as a "treat". He loves it, then again he eats anything any way!!

It has helped, that is why we are slowly lowering the dosage. I was told that once you put them on, you have to wean them off. If you just stop, that will do more harm.

We also have a Feilway Plug-in constantly going.......so between the two............!!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

I'm so glad you are trying this! You have my prayers that this will work. I know how frustrating it can be when they pee everywhere! Hang in there and give the meds some time. Good luck and keep us posted!

Good luck with the new meds! Hope it helps him!

Luna has also started peeing again, but I'm sure it's a new bladder infection.

Kirsten

Just gave pickles his first dose! Went down really easily. It's a tiny pill, and we have to cut it in half. I just scruffed him and popped it down! He didn't even get mad, he cuddled with me after I gave him the pill. MUCH better to give him this twice a day than to have him spray the house... so I hope it works!

Yes it is true, Prozac/fluoxetine is prescribed to cats, and it works. It stops Obsessive/compulsive behavior and other mental problems like depression.The drug works by tricking the brain into secreting more sertonin. Give it a week or two before you do anything.

Good luck! I hope this helps Pickles and he stops spraying. Paws and fingers are crossed!

Actually, it's Cyproheptadine. It's an antihisthamine in humans, but in cats it lowers testosterone and increases seratonin.

Originally posted by sirrahved
    Actually, it's Cyproheptadine. It's an antihisthamine in humans, but in cats it lowers testosterone and increases seratonin.
    Thanks for that information, Prozac seems to be the drug last resort, even after Feliway fails. Hopefully your cat won't have to go to Prozac, as just like in humans, there are side effects. Thanks again for enlightening me

Feliway failed here. It didn't really seem to make a difference. He even went right next to it once!

I am a little leay , about giving Cats , Prozac , as the Breeder recommended it when Rocca came here ,she was so jumpy , but I refrained , and the other Cats calmrd her down , but in the case of Sam , who still sprays at 8 , I will give it a shot , rather than walk around , with smelly clothes!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS