Thread: my pug is killing her newborns

my pug is killing her newborns

I have a 5 year old pug named samantha she has had litters of puppies since she was 2 but I have just recently gotten owner ship of her about 7 months ago. She became pregnant by my other pug fredrick.She had her puppies on sunday at 6:00 p.m
    she had 3 girld and a little boy meaning he was the runt.
    yesterday I went to the bathroom and about 15 mintues later went back downstairs where she was and found that she had killed one of the babies by sitting on him/laying on him and smothering him.I thought okay maybe it was a accident but then about 11:30 last night she did it again she killed the runt now she only has 2 puppies left.
    Iam afraid to leave her alone and unattended because of what might happen. Is this normal or should I be concerned and is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening while Iam sleeping or away?

She's been having puppies for 3 years and this is the first time its happened? If thats the case, I think maybe its time to get her spayed. It sounds like she's doing it on accident. She's probably just so worn out from having so many litters. It will be best for her health if she doesn't have any more pups.

As far as the ones she has now, what kind of set-up do you have for them? Have you made any changes with this litter compared to her previous litters?
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

That's terrible! I don't know very much about the topic, but, I do know that they will ignore or kill the runt sometimes, because of the "survival of the fittest" instinct. Maybe she just knows she can't feed that many puppies. I would call a vet and ask them, though. Or maybe find an animal behaviorist. Do you know from the previous owner(s) if she's ever done this before? Good luck, and, I'm sorry you and Samantha and her puppies are going through this.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Please listen to Aly - she knows a great deal about this. I think it is time to let her rest and have her spayed. She will be a great deal happier, and we won't add to the pet over population.

::.::Spay and neutur your dogs::.::

Spay her...It will help her so much and as for the pups, I don't think she's killing them on purpose. How many litters has the little girl had?
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*

From the first post, I thought pug lover was saying they just got ownership of Samantha. That's what I gathered from the original message. I'm still curious if she's ever done that before. If she's only had her for seven months, I was wondering if she could ask the previous owners if she'd ever doen it before. That's such a tragedy, hopefully we'll hear back from pug lover about the surviving puppies.

Thanks, Dogz!

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Just a thought from some one who has had this happen. as the others have said could be shes tired, do you know if it is the first time!.Or the thing we found was our female was killing sick and internally deformed pups. (had autopsys done) She was a horrable mom to the remainder we had her spay. These were springer spaneils , I understand pugs have a lot of breeding problems. Animals do have a sense of when something isn't right with an offspring.

Originally posted by Corinna
    Just a thought from some one who has had this happen. as the others have said could be shes tired, do you know if it is the first time!.Or the thing we found was our female was killing sick and internally deformed pups. (had autopsys done) She was a horrable mom to the remainder we had her spay. These were springer spaneils , I understand pugs have a lot of breeding problems. Animals do have a sense of when something isn't right with an offspring.
    Hey. that's what I was thinking, too. I mentioned earlier the "survival of the fittest". I hope pug lover posts again soon. I'm really curious if she's found out if samantha has ever done this before. And, i'm curious about the other puppies.

Thanks, Dogz!

Has anyone heard from the original poster about the pug and her puppies? I'm still curious!

Thanks, Dogz!

I had the same thing happen with a poodle i owned she had a litter of 13 yes 13 puppies and it was her first litter tooo she killed them 2 at a time by laying on them. I was so heart broken because I didnt know what to do to help her stop her or help the pups.
    shelley
    furbabies are:
    baby 12 weeks
    rusty 8 weeks
    buster 17 months
    2 cats
    patty catty
    and grey grey

I sent pug lover a pm asking to fill us in . hopefully we will know.

pug babies

I found out that this was her first litter samantha's that is.
    She still has 2 little girls but the rest passed.
    she is doing alot better now the girld are 1 week old today at 5:30p.m.
    Sammy is doing a really good job with her mother hood now. now she will push them with her face over to a corner and then lay down with them until they go to sleep. They are getting so big.