Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Honey got paralyzed :(

Honey got paralyzed :(

My beautiful rat Honey hurt herself today and now she is parayzed. She cannot move her back legs to walk, and just drags her body along with her front feet. She can move her feet and does have feeling in them, which is good, she just can't walk. If I set her down she just drags herself.

Today I cleaned my babies tank and decided to put Honey in with the other bigger girls while I cleaned. I heard a scream and went into the room to see what was going on and found the other girls on top of her. There were no wounds on her of any kind. I went to pick her up and she started trying to run or walk and just kept flopping around. The only thing I can think of is that she fell on her back or one of the girls caused some sort of pinched nerve.

She is doing fine emotionally and is just acting like her normal self and doesn't seem to mind not being able to walk fully. She is as happy as can be still, giving me kisses, eating and drinking and still nursing her remaining babies that haven't left for their new homes yet. She doesn't seem to be in any pain either.

When I pinch her feet she pulls them away. I felt along her back and spine as well as her hips and ribs and do not feel anything out of the ordinary. If she isn't better by tomorrow night I will take her in to have x-rays done and see if they can determine what caused this. There's really nothing you can do for a spinal injury in a rat besides wait and see if they get better, but I would still like to know what happened to my sweet girl.

Now she can't sit on my shoulder anymore when I type. And she was Dylan's favorite rat. He adored her. She will probably have to stay in a tank for the rest of her life, but I am NOT euthanizing my baby girl, no way! I am just so sad over this. She is such a sweetie. Please pray that she recovers PLEASE! She doesn't deserve this.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I am so sorry to hear that! I hope that Honey gets better. Keep us posted.

Thank you Tonya.

What's sad is that she cannot reach her water bottle and I have to hold her up to drink.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

i am really sorry about poor honey ... i hope the vets can find out whats wrong with her.. ..keep us posted . I will keep her in my prayers.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Cass, I'm just glad to hear that she don't seem to be having any pain. Very happy to hear that you are going to keep her too. If she is not suffering, and she is happy, then I see no need whatsoever in putting her down.

Who knows she may just be a little sore or something like that. Of course I know nothing about rats, but I know how much you love you babies, so I know you will do the right thing. You know so much about them.

Your a great rat mommie and a great mommie to all your babies including that cute big smiling Dylan.

I will keep Honey in my prayers, Cass.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Poor Honey! Here's hoping for a full recovery!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Thanks so much everyone. It really means so much to me to have your replies posted here. I am so saddened by what has happened. I am just hoping and praying she will get better!

Thanks again!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Well she can still move her back legs but this morning when I went to check on her I really thought she was dead. She was laying on her back, and she was drenched in urine as she could not right herself to pee downwards. It's not that bad, as I can just bathe her, but still. Poor poor girl. I am just going to give it some time. There is nothing a vet can do for her besides put her to sleep, and at this time that's not an option. I will assess her quality of life in the days to come. Wish us luck, we need it.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

OMG!!! I´m so sorry to hear this I really hope Honey will get OK I´ll pray for her....

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

I hope that Honey gets better. It sounds terrible. I had a rabbit when I was younger that needed to be put down after her back legs were paralyzed, and it made me so sad.
    I've been BOO'd!

This is so sad.
    I am so sorry to hear about Honey.
    If you take her to the vet, will x-rays show anything
    so the vet might help with her healing?
    Sending prayers that Honey will recover.

Hugs Karen

----<---<--<{(@

I can't stop crying. Honey will be euthanized tonight at 5:00 after Dan gets home from work. She still cannot walk. She is leaking bloody urine which also may have crystals in it. I don't think there is anything we can do. This is NOT supposed to happen. I just lost Thor and now Honey too. I gave her a bath again because she is leaking this bloody urine everywhere. I just held her and told her how much I loved her. After awhile I had to put her back to be with her babies, so she can spend time with them before she leaves. I don't know if I can stand to be with her when she goes.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Oh Cass! I'm so very sorry to hear about this.

Honey, have a great time at the Rainbow Brigde! You will be missed!

Keeping you in my thoughts. so sorry *Hugs*

~*~Thanks Liana For The AWESOME sig!~*~

Tweety_Pie

~*~Kelsey~*~

Oh no! Poor Honey... Please take care at the RB baby girl...

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Oh my God Cass, I am so sorry! I know how much you loved her. I was hoping she would get better.

I know it was hard for you to come to this decision. I also know that your are doing what is right. My heart is with you Cass.
    Sending lots of hugs to you from me.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!