Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Expenses(Help!)

Dog Expenses(Help!)

My boxer puppy is comming on Halloween, and I have made a list of all the expenses of a new puppy, please let me know if you think the prices are not accurate or if I forgot anything! Thanks

Food(Weekly)-$30-50
    Kennel/Crate-$15-50
    Blankets-$2-10
    Toys-$5-25
    Toothbrush-$10-30
    Brush-$10-20
    Bowl- $5-15
    Treats- $5-20
    Leash- $5-20
    Collar-$5-15
    ID Tag-$10-15
    Neutered- $100+
    Needles-$60-70 each

Thanks ~_~

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Not sure of your prices over there but youve given plenty of lee-way so you should in the right direction!!!!
    Good luck with your new pup
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

I think you are pretty dead on except for the vet bills. The neutering (at least in my area) runs about 150.00 plus you have to tack on the extras. Hearworm test, shots, exam, blood tests etc. My first vet bill with Leo was about $125.00 and that was with him already neutered and a free vet visit certificate. I may be a little overboard though. I always have bloodwork done whenever I adopt a new dog - that costs me about $50 itself. I could also be off if the pup has already gotten some shots, but there will definitely be more.

You forgot one more expense for puppies.

Destruction of house and yard. $$$$

----<---<--<{(@

I think that's pretty accurate except the food part seems a bit too high for weekly prices. I pay that much every month or two for two dogs (depending on how much I ended up throwing away). Also, if you're a good shopper, you can probably get away with even less on the toys, bowls and such and have more saved up for emergency vet bills (this seems to happen at one point or another). For instance, instead of going to your petco, petcetera, or whatever else you have there, you can easily find good leashes at dollar stores for half the price. When I went out to buy a new leash at petcetera, I found it hillarious that they charge 20+dollars for a leash that I paid 6 dollars for (which is VERY durable btw). Anyways...I think you're pretty much on the right track.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

The food part doesn't seem very accurate, unless you are buying very expensive food. I'd say it's more around 8-50 dollars a bag, and bags can last a long time. A small bag can get you through a month, and a big bag can get you through a few months.

The needles shouldn't be that much...A pup gets a few shots the first vet check, and I don't think anyone would pay 60-70 dollars each for ALL of them lol.

I'd say that the toys would probably cost more. most toys (fro ma petshop) will cost about 6-10 dollars each. Dollar store toys are cheaper though, and just as good, for maybe 2-5 dollars each.
    I've been BOO'd!

LOL jordan, it sounds like the dollar stores are paying us to say this for them...LOL I was so happy when I found 50 poop bags and a 20 foot leash for a buck each. Gotta love those dollar stores eh?

We feed Innova which was 40 bucks or so for a 15 pound bag. This lasted about 2 months. It was just Kai eating the first month then Kaedyn came for the second month.

The shots aren't that much for us. We pay about 15 or so each time for the shots alone. We also get a vet check at the same time which is 40. So 55 for vet check+shots....with another checkup when I feel like it's time. Oh yeah, and for the toothbrush..You can get away with paying a couple bucks for a human toothbrush. Just make sure it's soft enough (if you think the dog would like soft better) and the right size. I see no point in paying 10 bucks for a toothbrush that I can easily get for a few bucks at the store Lol.

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    LOL jordan, it sounds like the dollar stores are paying us to say this for them...LOL I was so happy when I found 50 poop bags and a 20 foot leash for a buck each. Gotta love those dollar stores eh?
    Hehe no doubt. Dollar stores are the best.

Leather is on Pet1st which costs $50 a bag and lasts about 2 1/2 months. Timber is on Nutro Dental care which costs $9.00 (it's a smaller bag) and lasts about a month.
    I've been BOO'd!

I just want to know where you get a decent crate for $15-50 . Last one i got at a garage sale and still paid 45 (giant size for newfy)

Each time my mom and I take Molly or Daisy to the vet, for shots it's about, $70-80 dollars each. For each of their spaying, it was about $140 for Daisy, and $160 for Molly (her's was more because she needed a hernia removed.) The toy prices sound about right, but whenever I go shop for them, I always spend about $40 each time. They're so spoiled.. Mine are fed Nutro Large Breed. It's $40 for the biggest bag, and it lasts about a month.

Good luck with the new puppy.

Our crate was 100+ for a size just big enough for a sheltie (ie not very big). I'm sure ebay will have some around that price. There's also buysell.com which is a classifieds site for canada.

Yeah to get a crate for a dog that size it will be at least $40 I bet.....Nebo's plastic crate was about $45 and his wire crate was around $80.

I pay about $35 for a 30 lb bag and it lasts about 2 months.

Yeah, I meant the food thing as monthly not weekly lol he wont eat all that, Also there are sometimes large kennels and crates in the Buy & Sell for $15-45

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Crates - Buddy's is an XL and it was $110 at Petsmart, I looked on E-Bay, and at the time, didn't know when I was going to find a dog, and had to run out the morning before I picked him up to buy it!

Food, I spend $65 - $80 a month for two GSD's.
    And Treats... treats.... treats and more treats!!

Blankets, you can always go to a local Goodwill or Salvation Army and buy blankets there! (Sierra ALWAYS chews her up, so I am always buying new ones!!! )

Since your getting a larger breed dog, you will want to buy a stand for bowls. (so the pup is not eating out of bowls on the floor) Of course your not going to need it right away, but you'll want to get one once him/her gets bigger!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

My dog's don't have crates unfortunatly, but at Petcetera they are about $500. You should look in the paper, go to flea markets/garage sales, thrift shops, or auctions. That's what I'm going to do. Get nice quality things for cheaper prices.
    I've been BOO'd!