Thread: Have You Ever Had to Comfort a Grieving Dog

Have You Ever Had to Comfort a Grieving Dog

I read this story the other day & can't get this poor pup out of my mind.
    It looks like she has a great family to care for her & that's good. Even after
    they lost their own son, they continue to comfort Zelda too. How would you
    comfort your dog or do you think we really can?

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...nmiss|umbrella
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

What a touching story.

I've had lots of Dogs, and have always thought that the range and intensity of their feelings were absolutely NO different than those of humans.

An act of true compassion as the boy offered, wouldn't be forgotten any of us, and given how "focused" animals can be with attachments, I doubt if Zelda's grief will ever subside.

The Fence will keep her at home in body only.

Have a good Day !
    S.W.
    Sneakers, Becca, Ichabod & NA'vi

Dogs know that you love them, whether you own them or not
    If you’re not watching FREE TV, you should be !

What a heartbreaking story. I don't think anyone could replace his boy

When our chow Keisha died, our Angus grieved very much. We thought he was going to grieve himself to death. We tried to give him as much love as we could, but nothing could replace his girl...that was until we got Roxey.
    He took to her right away and they became the best of friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

What a sad story. When Mandy died, Lacey was very nervous without her, always watching the back door she last went out. I found Missy one day, weeks later, staring at Mandys toybox, as if to say "where are you Mandy?". Heartbreaking!
    When Sassy died, Missy would look for her at mealtimes. Then one week after she died, Missy was searching my bedroom, looking high and low and crying, looking for Sassy.
    When Lacey died, Layla didn't want to eat at mealtime, she kept waiting for me to fill Lacey's bowl.
    I honestly feel that's one of the hardest things about losing a furkid, seeing another furkid grieve over the loss.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

That story brought on the tears.
    When my brothers dog, Digger, died Boo would not eat his food. He'd sit and look at us like "I'm waiting for Digger".
    I also remember when Bruce's cocker, DJ, died Taz would look out the door for him. They had only been living together for less than 2 years.
    I don't recall any grieving of anyone (besides myself) when Taz went.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I haven't looked up the details, but I've read that President Franklin Roosevelt's dog, Fala, grieved terribly, and sat by his (FDR) chair constantly. It's said that Fala died of a broken heart.

Hey, I know Logan misses me terribly when I'm gone. John said that even though he's home, it makes no difference. She'll lay with her head on her paws, staring at the door. I'm sure all your dogs do the same.

This story broke my heart. I hate when some researchers say dogs (animals) don't emote like humans. Yeah, right.

I've been Boooo'd!

very touching, and sad. I also think dogs grieve deeply. After Sherman died, Star would lie on "their" quilt, staring at the wall. She lost a quarter of her body weight as she wouldn't eat for days at a time. It was so sad. I had talked to Nancy Efusy and she said it would be very hard on star because she & Sherman were so very close. that's partly why we went & got jack so soon after, but it took a long time for Star to accept him. It all worked out, they became buddies and were good company for each other.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...=1#post2321042

Awesome article, thanks for that. *tear*
    One of our pet talk friends has a dog with some strange grieving behavior, note the link above. I couldn't really think of much to help. If anyone can, please advise. Thanks.
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.