Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Bean Casserole ? ** UPDATE - POST #25

Green Bean Casserole ? ** UPDATE - POST #25

I have never had this. It is hard to believe that I am 50 years old and never tried it. I guess no one in my family has ever made it.

Anyway, who here has the best recipe for this because I want to make it this year for Thanksgiving.

Thanks!
    Last edited by happylabs; 11-22-2010 at 03:11 PM.

I use the recipe from the French's onion canister, except I use French style canned beans instead of the frozen green beans.

I have no idea what this recipe is, but Jenn Librarian has posted about it here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=164447. Is it what you want?...If I am completely mistaken, just forget my post...

Not to sound full of myself, lol, but that green bean casserole that I posted is DA BOMB!!! It's from that little guy on Diners, drive inns, and Dives, and it's sooooooooo good. Time consuming, yes. Well worth it in the end, most definitely.

I found that with the onion frying part you can just get the canned French's onions if you want. My mom had no idea that I had made them myself and thought they were bought. So.... just goes to show ya that some things can be store bought and be good.

Do try it. Give yourself some time, don't be over whelmed, it's not as hard as it sounds, it's just time consuming.

I am the only one in the world that doesn't like this. I love green beans and like to taste them. The casserole aspect over powers the taste of the veggie, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I am the only one in the world that doesn't like this. I love green beans and like to taste them. The casserole aspect over powers the taste of the veggie, IMO.
    Nope, not the only one. I hate the original one.

I cannot stand green beans prepared southern style or french cut. I do like the beans as prepared by oriental cuisine or just steamed.

I love the original green bean casserole, but the other one looks great.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Since I have never made it or tried it, I am going to make the standard recipe on the French's onions can. My daughter-in-law-to-be says she likes it so I will send leftovers home with her.

I love just the plain green beans, but absolutely LOVE the green bean
    casserole that my SIL makes. I could eat a whole plate of just that.
    She puts Campbell cream of mushroom soup in it along with the oinions
    on top. Yum Yum.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm one of the few people on the planet who doesn't like the Campbell's green bean casserole that's made with cream of mushroom soup and fried onions. My mom gave me one that doesn't require the onions, so I'll get it in the computer tomorrow for you, happylabs. For just eating green beans I like Trader Joe's frozen haricots verts- steam them for me, cos I like them just the way they are. Maybe with some toasted almonds.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I've also never tried green bean casserole probably because I didn't think it looked very good. My mom has made it before. I like green beans and even the french cut ones. I don't like onions or cream of mushroom soup. Maybe if it didn't have the onions or cream of mushroom soup I'd be more interested. I also love green beans with almonds.

I've only had it (original) at my friend's house. I thought it was awesome. There's never any left. I haven't checked Jenn's recipe yet, but if she made it, it's got to be fantastic.

I've been Boooo'd!

I miss the green bean casserole, but as I am allergic to green beans now, there's not much point in lamenting. Both ways sound fine!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I've also never tried green bean casserole probably because I didn't think it looked very good. My mom has made it before. I like green beans and even the french cut ones. I don't like onions or cream of mushroom soup. Maybe if it didn't have the onions or cream of mushroom soup I'd be more interested. I also love green beans with almonds.
    Without the cream of mushroom and onions it would be just plain green beans.

I've never made this but here's one from the pioneer woman.
    I usually make the one on the can but have made it so many years that I'm over it.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...ean-casserole/
    My Mom makes sweet and sour grean beans with brown sugar and vinegar - I've made them a couple times for the Pet Talk gathering in Findlay and they are da bomb (to quote Jenn) I like them sooooo much better than the casserole!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..