Thread: My Flossie.

My Flossie.

I've held back from posting this for a number of days, since there was a thread elsewhere on the board that I wanted to be confident was truly dead in the water before I moved on to something of a sensitive nature.

My little Flossie fought a long battle with her tumours. I know I never really got much chance to post updates about her health, and so I think PT was never quite as familiar with her as with my previous girl, Tia.

Rest assured that in the ten months she had those cancers, she was a happy girl who just got on with her life in the same spirit she always had. Towards the end, her mobility was becoming markedly impaired, but she had no problem 'scooting' around - she never wanted to sit still.

There were plenty of times that I began to doubt that it was fair to keep her going. But then she'd always reassure me that she was OK by the twinkle of cheekiness that she always had in her eyes. I never for once thought she was in any pain, although I did wonder how on earth she was staying so strong.

One night, I found her slumped awkwardly in her cage, and when I picked her up, she felt quite cold to the touch. I knew exactly what was going to happen. I sat up with her until god-knows-when, and she eventually passed away in my arms.

She was teeth chattering right up to her last breath. I know that she was comfortable and peaceful, and I hope she felt that I was always there for her, until the end.

I don't fully believe the tumours ever finished her off. She lived a good life by rodent standards, and I got the feeling it was her time, regardless of her ailments. Right up to that point, she had never truly degenerated, in spirit nor in physical condition, unlike the heart-breaking saga I had to endure with Tia.

She is buried in my garden next to Foxy, whom some of you will remember from my earliest days of Pet Talk. They never met, but they were so alike in personality that I felt it was the right place for her to be.

I miss her like heck. Everything I do reminds me of her. I'll be looking in the fridge for something and instinctively search for a bit of cheese or veg to take up to her.

I am hoping for another little rattie to enter my life soon, although it is a decision I have to think long and hard about, because it will be a pet I leave in the care of my family for much of its days, once I leave for university.

My beautiful baby girl:

Zimbabwe 07/13

I'm sorry to hear this Zara

You were the best rattie owner ever to sweet little Flossie, and although it must of been hard for you, I am sure Flossie was happy that she was able to pass away peacefully in the arms of someone who she loved.

Bye bye sweet Flossie Have fun at the RB....

((Hugs)) to you Zara.
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

I am sorry for your loss and know how painful it is. Flossie was very lucky to have found a warm and loving home with you and she knew it.

Rest in peace, pretty girl. You go find Foxy, and tell her what a good job she did in training your mom, okay? Find a sunny warm spot for a nap up there, and know you have left your little footprints on Zara's heart forever.
    I've Been Frosted

I am so sorry I am reading this so late, Zara. I didn't 'know' Flossie as much as I did your beautiful Tia, but I know you loved her, no doubt about it. Rest in peace, pretty girl. May you forever remain in your mom's heart, and may Star be-friend you out the bridge.

Oh Zara, I am so sorry to hear about Flossie. I was not as familiar with your Tia. But I had a soft spot for the beautiful Flossie. I remember a video you posted of her jumping to you from a chair. I always thought she was such a beautiful girl. Her color was just amazing.

I'm so sad for you. RIP Flossie
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oh Zara, I am so sorry to hear about Flossie. Now Winkie and Flossie are together at the Bridge.

RIP sweet girl. You were loved.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

So sorry for your loss, she sure was a cutie.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I am so sorry it was Flossie's time to go.
    She was such a lucky little gal to have had a mum like you, though.

It has been a while since my last rat passed away and I am still missing them. Its crazy how these little animals become such a part of the family.

Rest easy, Flossie.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Thanks everyone.

Donna, I was thinking of Winkie recently when his thread was bumped up in Pet General. I still miss seeing his sweet face around here. Tia, Flossie and he would get on so well, I'm sure of it.

Cindy, thanks for reminding me of that video. She was such a funny girl! I have so many good memories with her, and for that I am grateful that I shared my life with such a happy, furry little soul.

Courtney, I just saw the thread about Mason and I'm really sorry to hear of his passing. He was adorable. Rats are impossible not to become addicted to, they have a charm quite unlike any other animal! I remember that you had quite a few at one point, they must have been so adorable to watch as they played together. Perhaps there shall be more in your life soon?

Zimbabwe 07/13

Such a big beautiful ratty girl! Just shows how much you loved and cared for her and how she flourished with you. My heart is with you. . .

Cathy

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I am so sorry for the loss of sweet Flossie. She was much loved.

Zara, I'm so sorry to hear about Flossie. I know you loved her very much, but I'm sure she is happy at the Rainbow Bridge. Tia and Foxy are probably showing her around. *hugs*
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I'm sorry about Flossie.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I'm so sorry about Flossie. She was darling. She lived a good ratty life and she will be missed.