Thread: Jealousy???

Question Jealousy???

ok....well my smallest chihuahua is starting to bite wen we pet the other chihuahua and wen i try to give my other dogs attention he starts being a lil jerk to the bigger dogs.....also wen i give the dogs treats he is always bitting my feet and tryin to steal the other dogs snacks.....is this jealousy or just getting attention......and now my other chihuahua has been acting strange in a way too...he has been not social to any of the other dogs and he is starting to become very aggresive (growling goen after them etc.) to the other dogs.............is this normal for "growing" (age wise) dogs or am i doen something rong????????????

Time to establish rules and boundaries. How do you react when he starts being "a jerk?" Can you give him a command, like "Sit, name" and then ignore him? Yes, challenging the oder of things is natural as dogs grow. You need to nip this behavior in the bud as soon as possible. What kind of obedience training have you done with each, or any of them?

Is everyone neutered/spayed?
    I've Been Frosted

well mehoe is nuetured and so is stormy....mojo and dozer are not.....well he does listen to the commands but he gets so cited and starts to grow crazy.... i use a squirt bottle....i put him in his kennel wen he is being a super butt

Quote Originally Posted by amberlynn View Post
    well mehoe is nuetured and so is stormy....mojo and dozer are not.....well he does listen to the commands but he gets so cited and starts to grow crazy.... i use a squirt bottle....i put him in his kennel wen he is being a super butt
    So spend time every day with obedience training with him. In fact, with both of them separately. When he gets overexcited, don't react, ignoring him, even turning your back until he is calm will teach him that, when he gets that way, nothing good - not attention, nor treats - will happen. Also, make him "sit" before he eats, before he is given any treat, he will pick up on the fact that, when his butt is planted and he's holding still, good things come.
    I've Been Frosted

lol ok......he is a good boy...but the thing is only wen he wants to be.....he is so lil i dont understand how he can get so wound up.........he is dynamite

I use clicker training with my two and this would be useful to teach them any desirable behaviour to replace a non desirable one. Sitting calmly instead of jumping about demanding things for example...Obviously, they get a treat or other reward after every click they hear and the click must happen when the dog is doing what you want.

Another thing. Jealousy does not apply to any creature other than humans. Dogs get possessive and protecting of resources...they don't get jealous. There is a difference.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk