Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scooter Bug - decision made - upd #41

Scooter Bug - decision made - upd #41

Scooter Bug is in perfect health... he's just gotten very thin as he's aged. I know 14 isn't "old" but he's certainly showing his senior status. Please pray that he starts to put on weight again... and if you have suggestions please share them. I am so not ready to lose my kitty anytime in the near future.

I know having the other two kitties has stressed him out. I don't think getting rid of Charlie & Jingle will solve anything except breaking my heart even further and putting 2 more kitties out on the "street".

Please pray for my sweet boy.
    Last edited by Scooter's Mom; 01-04-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: update

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Prayers coming for that sweet Tabby!

My only suggestions are the obvious....vet visit to rule out things like thyroid, if he's eating with everyone else make sure he's getting his share (and if not, separate him to make sure he does), alter his food to something geared at putting on weight...

Let us know how things go!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Prayers for Scooter from all of us here in RI!

Have his blood work done at the vet. For the thyroid test, make sure they test FREE T4 and T3. His T4 reading could be normal, while the Free T4 will show that his thyroid is working like crazy to keep that T4 in the normal range.

Or phone and ask what blood test they did for the thyroid, last time it was done. If was more than a year ago, do it again.

I've have just this year learned that my vet only checks T4. That is why each of my 4 cats who developed over active thyroid were too far along to respond to the meds! I was NOT pleased to learn this.

Oh, at my vet, the Free T4 and T3 test costs $90, so be prepared.

If Scooter Bug will eat human food , try him on some Tuna Fish or table scraps.
    Or Pinots Moms suggested , feed him spertaley as I know that some Found Cats will not eat if there are other Cats around the plate.
    And maybe try some Kitten Food until Your Scooter Bugs back to normal weight.
    We are praying for Our Friend Scooter Bug to get his appetite back and not worry his Meeowmie!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My HoneyBun was really really thin, and I think a lot of it had to do with his teeth. While the tooth issue hasn't resolved, I did start buying a new food. I'm getting FROMM's Salmon and Veg for the kitties, and it comes in really small kibble pieces, like, the size of a pencil eraser, if that big. I think he's having an easier time eating, and he's definitely gained some weight.

Not sure if Scooter Bug has any mouth issues, but you may want to check that out. Even if he doesn't, my guys LOVE the FROMM food, and have even stopped throwing up like they used to with most other foods. I'm very happily surprised with that, as I have 3 with sensitive digestive systems and they'd throw up from almost everything.

Sending prayers Scooter's way that all will be well and he'll gain some weight!
    Hugs to you too!

I remember this happening to Taz. I worked years to get him to lose weight, then suddenly I was working to get him to gain weight.
    Is Scooter eating good? My vet said to give Taz anything he'll eat. "Kitty junk food" as she called it. I began giving him canned food, which he never had before because I didn't like it. LOL Although Taz never really gained any weight due to his kidney failure, I hope you can get Scooter checked out to make sure there isn't a "hidden" illness. And I hope he will begin to gain weight. Hey, don't we all gain a little weight over the holidays? Maybe Scooter can too!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Most of you know I have been off work a good portion of the year due to my own health... I don't have ANY funds available for more vet bills. Right now our income is about 2/3 of our bills per month, so we're struggling... and at the end of this month it looks like my job will not bring me back (after my leave is up) since my dr. did not release me.

His teeth are beautiful... all his blood work was done over the summer. I'm just praying at the moment. It's all I can do.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom View Post

His teeth are beautiful... all his blood work was done over the summer.
    Do phone and ask what tests they did, or go in and pick up a copy so you can refer to it.

Tuna, salmon, anything which will get him eating is a good idea. Watch if he is peeing a lot.

My Sparkle is aging by losing weight. She was 18 pounds most of her life; like Cindy / Taz Zoee, I spent ages trying to get her weight down! Now, she is barely holding it at 10 pounds. She eats 5 times per day, but only little nibbles. Like your Scooter, her teeth are fine and all her blood work.

Pets! HE HE HEeeee

Prayers for Scooter Bug!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Prayers are going up for Scooter Bug right now. Sometimes, though, cats just get thin as they get older. Try not to worry too much about it but if he continues to lose weight, you'll find the necessary funds somewhere to get the testing done. We always do.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Prayers are going up for Scooter Bug right now. Sometimes, though, cats just get thin as they get older. Try not to worry too much about it but if he continues to lose weight, you'll find the necessary funds somewhere to get the testing done. We always do.
    I agree, also if you need funds and are not working check United Animal Nations, they helped my mom out. Usually they only do emergencies but you never know.

Take care,
    Melissa

I, too, have an older cat that is losing weight. My income is being stretched very thin right now, so vet visits are not possible. Mac is eating well and getting his share (he's Alpha Cat in my house) and playing and causing mischief as much as ever. Soooo, I've decided to give him bigger portions and allow him some snacks. He looks and acts healthy, but I know from experience, some older cats just lose weight. I think Scooter Bug will be okay until you can get him to the vet. I now check Mac's water intake and it hasn't increased at all. He doesn't eat any differently than he ever did, so I'm thinking it's just age. I can live with that. He's only about 13, but I guess that can be considered a senior cat.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I'm sorry to hear that he's losing weight and I sure hope it's just due to him aging and nothing else. My Storm will be 14 in Jan. and if he doesn't eat well then he will also lose weight very quickly. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Maybe you could try feeding him some kitten food which would have more calories in it for him and see if this will help him put some weight on.

Scooter Bug went to the vet tonight. He got a full blood panel done as well as having a urine sample taken. He was a little dehydrated so he got some subcutaneous fluids. His teeth looked great, his gums were pink and looked good. Temp was a teeny bit low, but nothing to worry about they said (it was within normal range). He weighed 6.5 lbs.

I'm so scared about these test results... please pray they come out okay and this is just a "bug" my sweet boy will get over.

Prayers are going up for good test results. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11